Sign in to follow this  
Ms DD

Five lesbian 'wives' flee Sharia

Ms DD   

Five lesbian 'wives' flee Sharia

A Nigerian lesbian who "married" four women last weekend in Kano State has gone into hiding from the Islamic police, with her partners.

Under Sharia law, adopted in the state seven years ago, homosexuality and same-sex marriages are outlawed and considered very serious offences.

The theatre where the elaborate wedding celebration was held on Sunday has been demolished by Kano city's authorities.

Lesbianism is also illegal under Nigeria's national penal code.

Nigeria's parliament is considering tightening its laws on homosexuality.

'Unhealthy'

Kano's Hisbah board, which uses volunteers to enforce Islamic law, told the BBC that the women's marriage was "unacceptable".

As defenders of the Sharia laws, we shall not allow this unhealthy development to take root in the state

Malam Rabo Abdulkarim

Hisbah board

The BBC's Bala Ibrahim in Kano says Aunty Maiduguri and her four "wives" are thought to have gone into hiding the day after they married.

All five women were born Muslims, otherwise they would not be covered by Sharia law.

Islam says a man can take up to four wives if he is able to support them.

"As defenders of the Sharia laws, we shall not allow this unhealthy development to take root in the state," the Hisbah's Malam Rabo Abdulkarim told Nigeria's This Day newspaper.

Our correspondent says the theatre where the colourful wedding ceremony was held was flattened earlier this week.

Several reasons were given for the demolition, including the discovery that it was built on wrongly allocated land.

A Kano police spokesman told the BBC that his officers were not actively looking for the women, but would arrest them if need be.

The Hisbah group, which is run seperately from the police, receives state government support.

Two years ago, a Sharia court sentenced a man to six months in prison and fined him $38 for living as a woman for seven years in Kano.

Eleven other states in mostly Muslim northern Nigeria have adopted Sharia law.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa/6599437.stm

Published: 2007/04/27 12:51:11 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Zafir   

LoL..Four women in one weekend?? Tad bit extreme, if you asked me. Though, she could have been one hungry woman.

well i say if u in rome, dress like a roman!! whats all the fuss! i mean if this state has this law, why the hell is she breaking it??

i say gimme a break!!

OK, FOUND THIS TO FAKE..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6603853.stm

Last Updated: Saturday, 28 April 2007, 17:22 GMT 18:22 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Nigeria 'lesbian wedding' denied

A picture of Aunty Maiduguri from a leaflet given to guests

Enlarge Image

A Nigerian woman reported to have "married" four women last weekend in Kano State has denied the allegations.

Aunty Maiduguri told the BBC the reports of her wedding were false, and that she was not a lesbian.

She had gone to the police and lawyers and would take the case to court in an effort to clear her name, she said.

Under Sharia law, adopted in the state seven years ago, homosexuality and same-sex marriages are outlawed and considered very serious offences.

Lesbianism is also illegal under Nigeria's national penal code.

'A lie'

Aunty Maiduguri insisted she "never practised" lesbianism.

"It's a lie, it's unbelievable. I have never in my life seen where a lady can marry four ladies at one time.

"I have never practised - never heard the word 'lesbian' - truly," she told the BBC in Kano.

She said the elaborate wedding celebration held on Sunday was actually a ceremony to raise money for the women's weddings to men.

She said: "One of them gets a husband to marry so I organised in order to get something sorted."

The theatre where the ceremony took place has since been demolished by Kano city's authorities.

Eyewitnesses said there was a large turnout and guests were given leaflets as a souvenir showing Aunty Maiduguri surrounded by her "brides".

But she said the words on the pamphlets meant "love and understanding".

"They are my sisters, what will I put apart from love and understanding or love and kindness?"

Aunty Maiduguri said she was willing to challenge Kano's Hisbah board, which uses volunteers to enforce Islamic rule.

"I am ever ready to fight the director of that Hisbah," she said.

Aunty Maiduguri and the four other women went into hiding after religious police issued warrants against them.

Punishment

All five women are believed to be film actresses in the local home-video industry, and said to be born Muslims, otherwise they would not be covered by Sharia law.

Nigeria's parliament is considering tightening its laws on homosexuality.

Islam says a man can take up to four wives if he is able to support them.

"As defenders of the Sharia laws, we shall not allow this unhealthy development to take root in the state," the Hisbah's deputy commander Ustaz Abubakar Rabo told Nigeria's This Day newspaper.

Mr Rabo told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme that if the women were found guilty of lesbianism they faced one of two punishments.

For a married woman the offence would be considered adultery for which the punishment is death by stoning. A single woman would be caned.

A Kano police spokesman told the BBC that his officers were not actively looking for the women, but would arrest them if need be.