Sign in to follow this  
Janna

Girls Gone Wild- Australian Style

Janna   

Originally posted by Nomadic_Princess:

I spent quite alot of time intentionally ignoring this topic...

Blah Blah Blah. Save me the drama ignore me and my topic.

Rahima   

quote:

4. Rahima i wll have to disagree on one point education standards in Perth are very advanced. It is even said that the high school standard in WA is the highest in the country.

Thank you for correcting that. That is why i also disagreed with Amitia because i think the standard of schooling is high and harsh in perth and money wise.

Opinion: a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; "my opinion differs from yours"; "what are your thoughts on Haiti?"

Fact: a statement or assertion of verified information about something that is the case or has happened; "he supported his argument with an impressive array of facts"

Sigh* facts ey, too much work. Well here it goes this is what I based my opinion on.

*Teachers (more than one you see) who have taught in both states who have told me themselves that standards in Perth are much higher. I assume they have some knowledge in this area.

* Newspaper articles. Which have said the following.

- Entry into ECU the least prestigious university in WA is harder than getting into interstate universities. eg Uni of Syd

- Perth has only 4 major public universities.

UWA (the most prestigious), Curtin, Murdoch, ECU

these universities do not offer enough places when compared to the number of students applying. Several thousand miss out on a place each year. The result of this disparity is that competition for the few places are fierce driving up cut off ranks for all courses.

If memory serves me correctly Politicians in WA were complaining about federal government initiative which would mean one uniform education system (instead of the current VCE, TEE, HSC etc). These politicians and others (curriculum council) argued it would bring down education standards in WA to bring it in line with those of other states. In particular NSW whose education system was blasted in Parliament. I recall a very amusing parliamentary debate which was speaking of the Uni of Newcastle in particular (but thats a seperate issue) :D

Well that might not be satisfactory. But ill have you know I try not to subsititute facts with opinion. Looks like it may have been close this time.

Rahima   

Aside from the point of the reply not been directed at you icon_razz.gif , I think you’ve missed the crux of our disagreement. That point of the discussion was not to question the greatness of the WA educational system (for i'm sure it is good); rather it was the point on comparing it to the Victorian educational system.

Having said that, once again most of what you have stated is opinion based, the teachers hold opinions (I’m sure we could find another camp of educators with differing opinions hence it matters not), newspapers hold varying opinions and therefore we could once again get differing opinions and without the backup of research which has made the comparison we really have no point in discussing facts-it remains just as opinion.

Just a small example, and I bring this one up because it doesn’t involve this discussion per se but rather highlights my point on most of it been opinion based:

Entry into ECU the least prestigious university in WA is harder than getting into interstate universities. eg Uni of Syd

In which fields? I know for a fact that for example to get into medicine at the university of Sydney is far far harder than it is in the University of Western Australia (Uni of Sydney required a GPA of about 6.2 and GAMSAT score of 62, uni of western Australia you can get in with a 5.8 GPA and GAMSAT of about 58), let alone any others. I also know for a fact that the same can be said for engineering, business and most of the sciences. How do I know this? Compare the marks required ;) . Marks are an indication of competition-the more competitive the course the higher the mark. How do you then reconcile what that newspaper article and the marks which equate to fact?

Once again:

Perth has only 4 major public universities. UWA (the most prestigious), Curtin, Murdoch, ECU these universities do not offer enough places when compared to the number of students applying. Several thousand miss out on a place each year.

The same can be said for every state and territory in Australia, even the Northern Territory. There are always many more applicants than places available; it is not something exclusive to the West Australian tertiary system.

If memory serves me correctly Politicians in WA were complaining about federal government initiative which would mean one uniform education system (instead of the current VCE, TEE, HSC etc). These politicians and others (curriculum council) argued it would bring down education standards in WA to bring it in line with those of other states. In particular NSW whose education system was blasted in Parliament. I recall a very amusing parliamentary debate which was speaking of the Uni of Newcastle in particular (but thats a seperate issue)

Ask the politicians of South Australia and the same will be said-it is called politics. We hear the same dreaded nonsense from our politicians in Victoria.

Now for facts, check out:

http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings.php

2004 Times Higher Education Supplement Australian Rankings

This list shows the international ranking of Australian universities that have been included in the top 100 universities as determined by the Times Higher Education Supplement:

16 Australian National University

22 University of Melbourne

33 Monash University

36 University of New South Wales

40 University of Sydney

49 University of Queensland

Both the University of Melbourne and Monash are in Victoria. No university in Western Australia even made the top 100. Even the University of Sydney (which you mentioned) is ranked number 40, clearly much better than any university in Western Australia let alone the least prestigious.

Australian top universities

Another way of looking at the Australian university ratings is to examine some of the groupings that have formed since the removal of the government controlled grouping system. The most important of these is the 'Group of Eight' which consists of all the previous 'Group 1' Universities (the highest ranking) along with a couple of others that have improved their performance and quality over recent years. The group of eight is regarded as the group of top Australian universities and each of these universities is able to attract resources, students and personnel because of this reputation. The group of eight consists of (not in ranking order):

The University of Adelaide

The Australian National University

The University of Melbourne

Monash University

The University of New South Wales

The University of Queensland

The University of Sydney

The University of Western Australia

Victoria along with NSW are the only two states with two of the top 8 universities in Australia. And we've already established that Melbourne Uni and Monash rank better than those in NSW.

Finally just food for thought, think of which state has the most private schools in simple numbers and as comparison of per capita ;) . Also have a think about the “sorts†people, which reside in all the states. How are Victorians seen generally, West Australians, Sydney siders etc- this is not fact but it is a representation of the sorts of professionals and hence is a direct reflection of their educational backgrounds.

Lol my bad then. I was already aware of the rankings of all the universities. If this is the same one I know than the rankings of the universities are based on research. Which doesnt incorporate undergraduate standards. This probably explains why the vice chancellor of UWA is aiming to put the uni into the top 60 through increasing research grants.

Very well researched i might add.

Janna   

Originally posted by Liibaaaaaaaaaaaan.....:

Who cares about Australia anyways?
:D

I care about Australia. And the sisters living in Australia.

Rahima   

Nomadic_Princess

It’s all good ;) .

Who cares about Australia anyways? They're just a cheaper,knock-off version of the Brits!!

Waryaa who asked you anyway :rolleyes: , mind your own business. This is our corner so please get out icon_razz.gif .

Janna   

You need Australia! You need the government to support you. You attend the education that is available in Australia. Typical Somali's, as soon as they ran out of their weekly allowance, they "no longer need Australia".

Janna   

March 2007

I congratulate Australian girls for a quiet start to the year. I am seeing more youths strieving for a successful life both in their studies and religious conquest. Just last night I was sharing a table with a three delightful ex-party goers. I have always underestimated their brightness. They surprised me a great deal and manshallah to them. May Allah guide everyone to the straight path. Amin.

i am glad i wasnt at that table with 3 biatches! lord have mercy....each one is like Rosie odonald 3xs with african pms!!

looks like the kangroos were passing out when they walked by the table due the african pms ego coming outta table....loooooool.