Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Writers overload

Chimera   

Anyone here suffering from writers overload? Where thirty different stories/books are racing through your mind and you don't know where to begin or continue?

How did you deal with it?

I analysed myself and there are certain buttons(music, films, books etc) that stimulate my re-entrance into a particular world that i have created. If my intention is to focus on one particular story, i avoid certain genres, music and books.

This helped me a great deal!

I have several- especially one epic tale that I've had in my mind for many years now but never have I had the chance perhaps the patience and dare I say? The talent to bring it to life? I'm a great story teller but will that translate to writing ability? One never knows, and though I've had enough compliments in my life to give me a big head-I've never placed much importance into any of them as the real question for me is.... Do I have the perseverance to start something I may never finish? Can I actually take anything seriously without giggling and enjoying my silliness too much? The juries out on this one.

Ps Adam- feel free to share any stories with us, they would be greatly enjoyed I am sure especially since its often rather (boring) in this place if I am honest. Plus I am far too lazy to post anything myself LOL- I know, oh hypocrisy!

Chimera   

Siren many succesful writers are simply great storytellers with excellent 'editors'. I think you should give it a try.

ps read this story that i made up (based on a riddle), then tell me your opinion.

Ibtisam   

Go for a walk, and focus on the topic, build a story around it, wrap it in chocolates. :D OR do somethign exterem and different for a few days, then the distance allows you to re-enter with a fresh mind.

The Siren, get writting, I agree with Adam smile.gif

winnie   

just write.

write whatever is on yr mind, straigth from yr blazing brain cells to yr pen and eventually yr thoughts will narrow down and gain momentum.

by than youll have a portion of yr story, or at the very least some interesting material for other stories.

^- Very true exercising ones pen-will more than likely bare the sweetest of fruits, you know what they say? Practise makes perfect and one cannot be a writer if one doens't exercise such a skill. Not that I believe myself to be a "writer" by any stretch of the imagination mind you-just saying.

*Salutes to both Ibti and Marx* -Plus Marx well what can I say in my defense apart from agreeing with your fair sentiments? smile.gif

Adam about the story? I liked it very much, the whole greek mythological angle was very well recieved as I do love a good greek tragedy, which brings me to the test for psychopathic killers. OMG- I really shouldn't be admitting this but I got your riddle which was in truth (very easy) immediately and long before I even strolled down the page to see what the others answers were (Truly I got the answer in about a second. Now I'm more than a little worried, I already did a psych test once before in my A level Psychology days way back and even then it concluded that I had/have a significant amount of psychophatic tendencies and now I have this to contend with. *Worryingly bites her nails*

Damn you for making me question my stability!

Ps Do you have more Adam? Or does anyone else wish to share any amusing tales or anecdotes? Yes I am desperate for some entertainment. Who isn't?

BOB   

Adam,

Brother I face the same dilemma most of the time when I need to write couple of different things at the same time and the way I deal with such brain draining is simple...I go for a walk and come back with energy and few extra lines.

For example when I want to write poems...I only do so when I am in a gloomy mood...I write best when I am in a bothering mood and if I want to write a story or any other I only do so when I am in bed...for some reason my bed helps me get in touch with my inner-self where I end up expressing myself eloquently...

Peace, Love & Unity.

Chimera   

Great suggestions guys!

Siren no suprise there, how many poor chaps lie burried in your frontyard? drawn by the scent of love, not knowning they are descending into the killerweb of the Black widow 'Mrs Siren'.

ps let me look for you if i can find anything good.

NGONGE   

^^ Just read a book. The story might have nothing with what you plan to write about but the fact you are reading and the structure of the story will clear your mind and organise your thoughts.

Chimera   

^I am reading a good book: The Heretic Queen, which does stimulate progress in one particular related story.

The thing i find weird is how the most unrelated films/books can give you excellent ideas about new characters or plots, it makes you wonder wether you would have come up with them if you hadn't seen/read those books/films in the first place.