Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

GREAT movies

LANDER   

wish I could come up with some universal definition of a "great" movie, but its hard to put into words, so I'll say what a great movie AIN'T instead. Firstly, Them chick flicks that look completely the same, are very predictable and you know...... the type Richard Gere has been doin for the past 2 decades, they all seem like another episode of "pretty woman" now that is NOT a great movie. I feel sorry for any man who has to sit through one a them chick flicks. Secondly, those so-called "scary" movies you know the type of movie where you know the entire plot 10 mins into the movie and you wonder why your goin to waste another couple hours watching this trash i.e the Jason vs. Freddy types. Those are I repeat NOT great movies. Anyway, hope I haven't dissed anybodies favourite genre, (ok maybe I did intend on doing so :D ) but your more than welcome to open another thread titled TRASH movies.

move on to the only great movies I've seen this year and they are: 1-Motorcycle Diaries 2-Ray There are a few others I was meaning to see but never had the chance: Aviator, Meet the folkers....Tell us what great movies have you seen this year? or even in past yrs for that matter.

peace

Them chick flicks that look completely the same, are very predictable and you know......
the type Richard Gere has beend doin for the past 2 decades
, they all seem like another episode of "pretty woman" now that is NOT a great movie.

:D

Its true the dont make many great movies anymore. All genres have been neglected and the world of high tech film has moved in and suffocated the creativity.

I cant think of any Great! movies just now, so i'll get bk to this thread whem my brain kicks in to gear

x_quizit   

Now now Lander, sounds like ur itching for a fight...u hated pretty woman? as if! smile.gif ...

I agree with u though, those not so scary movies w/o a plot other than just dragging it along...namely SAW, i hated it that movie....

Best movies: this yr was Hotel Rwanda-overall my favs were anything from Kevin Spacey-(usual suspect, Life of david gale)...Shawshank Redemption, Troy, Samurai Warrior to name a few..

p.s.-nothing wrong with a sappy movie here and there, and any man who sits through it is completely comfortable with his masculinity icon_razz.gif ...take that lander...

Peace

Pacifist   

I have to agree X good to see you dear... That Hotel Rwanda was the best..followed by the Notebook.....for the year of 2004

Legend of the Falls

To kill a mocking bird

Shawshank Redemption

Silence of the lambs

Usual Suspects

Cry my beloved Country

The Power of One

juba   

what is happening to the movie industry? i think they getting desperate with these retarded movies like SAW boogeyman and the Grudge!!! i have yet to see a movie worth my time this year

yea Silence of the Lambs was wicked Pacifist!

Intel   

Originally posted by LANDER:

Meet the folkers

IMO not a great movie sxb

the downfall of De Niro :(

never seen a better movie than Shawshank Redemptions, must've watched atleast twice a year in the last 7 years or so awesome movie

don't worry folks Clint Eastwood turn director to bring back the great movies

recently saw his 2004 oscar winning work the Mystic river, its a good movie dodgy ending but

I do like the romantic movies from the 40s and 50s, anything with Cary Grant in it.

Do you know what isn't a great movie? Those patronising so called black or urban movies, with ****** titles like "The brothers" or "Two can play that game". The sad thing is that these films all have very good actors like Vivica A. Fox, who believe that they cannot do better than stereotyped flashy soulless films.

You would think after great films like Malcolm X and Set if off, black people would choose artistic integrity in favour of these flashy films that look more like shameless ads for gucci.

Black people have a great heritage and a natural ability to tell stories, why then are black people content with such mindless drivel?

A few exceptions however are "Friday" + "Next Friday" and "Don't be a menace while drinking your juice in the hood." Parodies aren't just jokes, they reflect movie mistakes people should learn from. Sadly, most of the time they don't.

As for good films, I saw Hotel Rwanda recently, and I can't remember ever being this moved by a film.

And one of the best films I've ever seen are two Hong-Kong films directed by Wong-Kar Wai called Chungking Express and In the mood for love.

I also like Scarface and the shameless mockery of the American dream it portrays. Shawshank Redemption, Lord of the rings and Fight Club are also in my top ten.

Can't think of any more right now.

Diamante   

You would think after great films like Malcolm X and Set if off, black people would choose artistic integrity in favour of these flashy films that look more like shameless ads for gucci.

have to agree with you there...BUT... "The Brothers"...they were just hunkadelic, never mind the bad acting and the "going nowhere" plot, just watch THEM ;) (rrrr)

Lord of the Rings, where do I start, where do I stop, It made me believe in elfs again, which was a wonder, as I had given up thinking they existed.

I'm dying to go and see Hotel Rwanda, is it even out yet in the UK?

A scary movie that I watched recently and scared me shitless was The Grudge (the Japanese version then, the American version doesn't even come close to the original). Probably first scary movie that had me rattled that much.

Other movies that I have enjoyed watching include Mona Lisa Smile, Love Jones, A Beautiful Mind, The Godfather and Waiting to Exhale

Senora   

As for good films, I saw Hotel Rwanda recently, and I can't remember ever being this moved by a film.

Yes, the subject matter behind the movie was very hard to watch. Besides the excessively sentimental moments though, it wasn't that great. It felt so preach-like...But I guess I knew all along that there was going to be a "lesson learned" part.

Big ups to Sophie Okonedo, her acting was stupendous.

Jamie Foxx's marvelous imitation of Ray Charles most definitely paved the way for the film Ray to become the best movie i saw last year.

I'm so with ya brother Lander....man, I can really enjoy a great romantic movie, but none yet that have come to satisfy this craving.

LANDER   

Originally posted by x_quizit:

Now now Lander, sounds like ur itching for a fight...u hated pretty woman? as if!
smile.gif

I agree with u though, those not so scary movies w/o a plot other than just dragging it along...namely SAW, i hated it that movie....

Best movies: this yr was Hotel Rwanda-overall my favs were anything from Kevin Spacey-(usual suspect, Life of david gale)...Shawshank Redemption, Troy, Samurai Warrior to name a few..

p.s.-nothing wrong with a sappy movie here and there, and any man who sits through it is completely comfortable with his masculinity
icon_razz.gif
...take that lander...

Peace

:D ouch X don't know how I'll recover from that one, you sure like to aim for below the belt looks like I'm down for the count.I think I worded that wrong, I was making a mokery of the subsequent movies to pretty woman but there you go again questioning another persons manhood. Are you sure your not part of some ultra-feminist group? Is there some part-time hobby we should know about.

Rokko thanks for the warning about the meet the folkers, your the second person to say that now I think I might pass on that one. Seems like everybody loves Shawshank redemption it sure is a top of my all time favourites. I guess that should be our new plateau for a "great" movie.

I think the nomads here at SOL should come up with our own rating system for movies. We shall call it THA CAMEL rating system.

for example a 1-5 scale of "camel Joes"

needless to say 1 camel joe is trash

and 5 camel joes is brilliant

i.e.

"the grudge" (american version) gets:1 camel joe

joec-l.gif

Originally posted by Xu:

And one of the best films I've ever seen are two Hong-Kong films directed by Wong-Kar Wai called
Chungking Express
and
In the mood for love

Havent seen Chungking Express, but I have to agree with you about ITMFL...that was a fantastic film.

x_quizit   

Pacifist, excellent choices, great minds think alike:)....i loved legend of the falls as well...not only for the eye candy but the story line...

Lander...hm...doesn't my avatar speak for itself? icon_razz.gif ...don't worry, ur still on my good list, u've yet to enter the bombing zone...as long as u know who's boss eh... smile.gif