Sign in to follow this  
grasshopper

Somalia: the #1 failed nation?

Mogadishu is ground zero for the failed state of Somalia, a place where pirates and terrorists rule. Yet to the north, the breakaway region of Somaliland is stable and at peace. What happened?

check out this article in National Geographic

http://ngm.nationalg eographic.com/2009/0 9/somalia/draper-tex t

If you can pick up a hard copy I really recommend it - the photographs are heart-wrenching but beautiful.

Yet amid the exoskeletons of banks and cathedrals and luxury hotels overlooking a glimmering coastline that once buzzed with pleasure boats, an awful truth dawns.
Mogadishu was never like other African cities. Mogadishu was a spectacular city
. Even in its disfigurement, the beauty is still there — above all, in ghostly Hamarweyne, where photographer Pascal Maitre and I stand in the empty boulevard and squint out at the sea until a call to prayer from a nearby mosque reminds us it is almost five in the afternoon, after which all outside activity ceases. Anyone on the streets of Mogadishu by evening is inviting misadventure.

From the top floor he sees the ruins of his neighborhood in the once illustrious Hamarweyne district. He can see the remains of the former American Embassy, the posh al Uruba Hotel, the Shangaani district, once teeming with gold merchants and perfume emporiums—all now blasted away.

That was Xamar. Nin arkaa arkay; qof kusoo koray ayaa kusoo koray. Inta kale waa iska hadleen.

Easy MMA-nations go through difficult times smile.gif

Isn't that Hotel Curuba?

Jb..Mogadisho is prime real estate, Somalis just gotta learn to share. The zero sum game serves nobody.

JB thats the holy-grail of which no ethiopians can enter but hey let them burn Beled-weyn and other border towns.

Inkaar baa ku dhacday magaalada ee ilaahey ha ka saaro iyada iyo shicibkeeda AAMIN.

Dhubad.   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

quote:Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiy aar:

01-war-torn-615.jpg

And some are still fighting to hold control of nothing but this .................. Cajiib
Streets are fairly clean though, I wonder who cleans them? You would expect rubbish to pile up on these streets but it looks cleaner for some reason.

Inshallah it will rise from the ashes soon.

Dr Ligle   

Originally posted by grasshopper:

quote: Mogadishu is ground zero for the failed state of Somalia, a place where pirates and terrorists rule. Yet to the north, the breakaway region of Somaliland is stable and at peace. What happened?

check out this article in National Geographic

If you can pick up a hard copy I really recommend it - the photographs are heart-wrenching but beautiful.
When did pirates rule? Last time i checked pirates never got invovled in politics!!! do you see a war in puntland pirates vs puntland government? I don't know where u reach such conclusions to think the pirates are political when they never even get involved in politics!!! infact it is the pirates who give 20% of their ransoms to the poor displaced ppl's camp who are from hamar and hargeisa!!! And if somaliland was so stable why are they fleeing to live in bossaso as refugees? You can verify this interesting fact below from the international institute for strategy the no 1 expert on military conflicts!!!

http://acd.iiss.org/ armedconflict/MainPa ges/dsp_HumanAndEcon omicCost.asp?Conflic tID=198&YearID=1144

If sland was so good they wouldnt be seeking refuge in bossaso!!!

I just got this month's National Geographic in the mail...and just for your info here are the responses by a couple of readers to the Sep/2009 article on Somalia.

Comment 1:

I was twice deployed to Somalia while serving in the US Marine Corps in the early 1990s. The parts of your article most relevant to my observations of the country were the passages that relay the hope that exists in Somalia. It has been ravaged by power struggles and inter-clan rivalries. Yet its people are as proud of their heritage and are as optimistic as any on the planet. A number of lessons can be learned from Somalia, including the human capacity for hope.

Michael R. Pick, JR.

Arroyo Grande, California

Comment 2:

The people of Somaliland have set a wonderful example. They are the best chance for Somalia and other nearby countries. They deserve some support from the international community to bolster their stability so that in time they can reach out to Somalia.

J. McFarland

Stanfield, Oregon

Even though it's just two people, it's interesting to see how they see the situation in Somalia...

The amazing thing is that even though we keep destroying our land, Somalis in the diaspora tend to advance economically faster than other immigrants.

There is this tigree coffee shop close by my place, and everytime, i speak with eastern african immigrants, they keep telling how the somalis are doing so good in the west and other african countries.

I always get a royal treatment when i got there! Even the gals shake my hand!! lool. Go somalis.

We just need to figure out how to get usa out of our land!! Then everything will be all good...

deal! They been there since 1993 and this place is just getting worse and worse everyday. They are definitely the problem here. Its time to let the somalis resolve their issues as they have done for centuries.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

The amazing thing is that even though we keep destroying our land, Somalis in the diaspora tend to advance economically faster than other immigrants.

There is this tigree coffee shop close by my place, and everytime, i speak with eastern african immigrants, they keep telling how the somalis are doing so good in the west and other african countries.

I always get a royal treatment when i got there! Even the gals shake my hand!! lool. Go somalis.

We just need to figure out how to get usa out of our land!! Then everything will be all good...

deal! They been there since 1993 and this place is just getting worse and worse everyday. They are definitely the problem here. Its time to let the somalis resolve their issues as they have done for centuries.

Not true. Not true. What is happening to Somalis around is a calamity. It is a collective e suicide of the highest scale. Somalis are the poorest group in the UK and the community is drowning in violence and poverty elsewhere.

Take a look at this.

http://cms.met.police.uk/news/appeals/appeal_for_witnesses_re_murder_in_forest_gate

Somalis can achieve remarkable stuff individually,, no doubt abt that,,laakin waxaan halaynay waxaan wadaagno like our own Somalia in this case! I think we have got patriotism and ownership issue.