Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Ibtisam's Somali 101 class ....

Ibtisam   

SalaMAleikum people. smile.gif

Okay, okay before you all throw your toys out, muttering about the irony of Ibtisam Somali class. This is not what you think. I am going to post stories that I was told as a child in the miyi, some with very sketchy details, others I remember clearly, and I am going to post these stories in Somali[ because they don't sound the same in English].

So for those of you who do not like the way I write Somali, the mistakes and the butchering of Somali, and will get offended or tell me off, please take your leave now, before I traumatize you.

For those of you who don’t mind my Somali jacbuurise, I am going to tell you some funny stories, from childhood games, songs, geerar, sayings, events, anything I can remember. If you heard the story before please fill in the details for me. Otherwise, feel free to write your own stories. But please easy on the somali redface.gif

I am off to write my first story, will be back Inshallah with it.

P.s.Nuune, this is the second phase of the experiment :D

Haneefah   

You've been to miyi? :cool: Looking forward to the stories.

Besides if NGonge can get away with writing in Somali, you too shall :D

nuune   

Ibti loool , now this is the kind of topic I was lookin for you to post, should I say you are the only Miyi lady here in SOL, no one shares that title with you.

Lookin forward to the stories smile.gif

Ibtisam   

LOOL : Ngonge, and curyaan socota! :eek: LOL

Nuune do help me along.

As a adi raac, I was told stories about dawaco and waraabo all the time. I have been told countless stories about the cunning dawaco out witting all the other animals. So I am going to tell you one that involves both with some life lesson.

Okay here we go, don’t count my mistakes.

Beeri ba waxaa saxib aha dacawo and waraabo. The waraabe had lots of xoolo and the dacawo was jealous because iyadu she had xoolo yaar. Then the dacawo is clever, smart and cunning, she befriended the waraabo. The waraabo wuu jaclasiid the dacawo, because she was always being nice to him and hanging around. Waraabe in Somali context waa nac*as aaf dheer. Anyway they agreed iney is guursaadan the two of them.

After a while, Libax [Lion] baa xaanusandey, he was looking for wax xoolahiis whoo raacaa for the day. So she went to him, and said “waray libax, waad xaanusansa, anaiga aya kaa naaxaya eh and xool kuu raaco. So he agree and wuu iska seexday for the day.

The dacawo waxay cuntey laaxdi ugu shishlaade xoolahii libaxa, when she finished and she was full, she took cad yar and dragged it all the way to the waraabo’s house. He was sleeping, so afka ayeh uu marmariseay the little cad and then went back to look after the rest of the xool.

Marku libax soo toosey, wuux uu yimi, dacawo, upon check his stock, he realized his shishliis lax is missing. Upon enquiring, she told him waxaa cunay the warabe, waaxan isku tayeh inaan iska celiyo, but he was stronger.

Libax is seef laa boodh Somalisitically, so enraged, waxa baa muu huubsaan, he run all the way to warabe’s house, without asking him anything, he saw afka dhiig leh, wuu cunay the waraabi. Hence all the animals of the warabo naturally waaxa dhaxashey the dacawo.

I know it seems like a childish story, but I was a kid then and even in adulthood, careful who you befriend and I think this stories should be told to all these oldies marrying young girls.

I started on the easy one, the others are complicated to pen. redface.gif I am just testing with this one, so tell me how cuuryaan I am. redface.gif

Ibtisam   

^^NO I did not, I wrote more in Somali, then I've ever done on these pages, as I said I'm starting slowly. Now get lost warya :mad: Ciil weyenah :D

Dhubad.   

^lool, Ibitisaam rageedii baad tahay halkaa ka sii wad, I vividly rember that story.

Bal Dhagdheer noogu xiji. Dhagdheer dhimaty roobeey wa alllow roobeey roobeey yaah

Ibtisam   

^^^Strangely enough I was going to tell dhagheer next on monday! But the dhagheer story is so long, I don't know if I can do it.

BOB   

People let's read Fatiha for the Somali language because it's going to be butchered mercilessly now... :D

Peace, Love & Unity.

nuune   

Ibti, very classical story indeed, I remember it as well, and that is when Waraabayaasha and Libaaxyaasha became enemy forever, then the Waraabayaasha clan got angry and formed union together that they will never walk alone, to this day, you won't see waraabe on his own, they are groups, and attack lions in groups.

Good stuff, I approve it smile.gif

Ibtisam   

I know so many stories about Cigaal Shiidaada. Is it a Somali wide story toolow like the dacawo or is it only regional in the north. I will tell you his most famous sheeko, aside from the one uu siko xaaey, and the one he hid behind his wife. Gosh they were all bad! LOL Anyway this one was about his ultimate fuulieynimo. To prove to cynical Ngonge that I can tell a full story in Somali, this one is all in Somali. So BOB read the fatixah! :D

Habeen aya Cigaal Shidaada baa guureyeh. Iska oo waada socoda ayu arkey kurittin/ geed yaar oo waada kaa muuqada. Cigaal the fulley, wuxuu u maleeyeey libax meesha fadiyo oo isaga sugaya. Waraankii buu laa soo baxey, sii uu diyaar uu nooqodo maarku libaax ku soo boodo. Habeen kii oo daan haal kii buu faadiyeh, sii faajigaan ah.

Maar kii waagii baryeh, wuxuu arkay kuritiin kii yaar eeh uu libaax weyen moodeyi. Iska oo yaaban buu yirihi; “Kuritiin ooh ma waaan anigu kuu moodey, misee waxaad nooqotay, ama waxaan looba nooqo dooniin. Anigu waaxan kuu moodey Libax, ha se yeishey waax nooqotey kuritiin, laakin waaxan aan loo noqoon doonin habeen guud dan bey!

Ngonge eat your heart out! Shiid I got to do some work!

nuune   

“Kuritiin ooh ma waaan anigu kuu moodey, misee waxaad nooqotay, ama waxaan looba nooqo dooniin. Anigu waaxan kuu moodey Libax, ha se yeishey waax nooqotey kuritiin, laakin waaxan aan loo noqoon doonin habeen guud dan bey

very super indeed,

here it is corrected for you

"kurtunoow/geedoow waxa aan ku moodey, mise waxaad noqotey, waxaan ku moodey libaax, waxaadse noqotey kurtun/geed, waxaase loo noqon doonin guure habeen".

Keep them comin up yaa Ibti, I see Ngonge is already being beaten in story tellin :D