Sign in to follow this  
Janna

Why Do Battered Women Stay In Abusive Relationships?

Janna   

Why do battered women stay in abusive relationships?

I believe many women who are in a abusive relationship do not leave because they are financial unstable.

Feel free to share your thoughts on this matter.

Foxy   

Those Who chose to stay, while being abused, are weak and believe that the world out there is none better than what they are used to on the norm....They stay in such relationship hoping that one day the abuser will change and be a better person, and all will be forgotten and live happily ever after, little do they know that, once an absure always an abuser, therefore the crime keeps on repeting with different excuses.

all it takes is a hint of courage and the will to break away from their norm or that nasty relationship for them to take the highway and never look back

cheers.....

dawoco   

The abuser gives excuses to justify it, the abused deserves it, she provoked him, she did something wrong, didn't make his dinner on time. And also, the womena bused are convinced that their abuser trully loves them and needs them. And that if they do everything their abuser asks, mayb it won't happen again.

Kruella   

Well there are countless reasons why they stay. It could have something to do with fear of the unknown, she can't see herself capable of leading an independant life. It could be because of her kids, she doesn't want them to vilify her or think it's because of her that the family is torn apart. In some case, it's because her family don't want her to bail out, (just suck-it up kind of attitude) after all, all marriages go through rough patches.

Are we talking about physical abuse here or the many hidden faces of abuse? Mostly, I think women don't want to leave "abusive" relationships because they don't even consider it an abuse.

Salam

Women who are in abusive relationships are often trapped by many things, inexperience in the real world, psychological issues – she may think she can’t function in the real world – her need to produce children are not for the sake of loving the abuser, but rather building human assets because she lacks the conventional mechanisms of gaining capital, thus children are seen as assets and money making tools, i.e. investments [although this might only apply to 3 world families, and Somali families in the Diaspora]

That is why you see many women divorcing their husbands after they are no longer able to reproduce, and the husbands ‘supporter’ position is taken over by the children.

Pujah   

Lexy:
Why Do Battered Women Stay In Abusive Relationships?

Maybe they are sick, and are in need of professional help.

Here is common Symptoms

1- Scared

2- Financially insecure

3- In love

4- Plain stup!d [this women doesn't even see it as abuse]

5- Comes from dysfunctional family

6- I am tired you continue...ok

Pujah   

^^ LOL that is interesting maah maah, did you just make that up?

Seriously I have a friend who is in a abusive relationship. It's hard to convice someone that they are in unhealthy relationship when there is no physical abuse.

Mental abuse is alot worse than physical abuse me thinks.

Originally posted by Keyf:

^^ LOL that is interesting maah maah, did you just make that up?

Noooooo ,,, i didn't make it up man ,,,,,, seriously it is an old maahmaah ,,, have been hearing it since i was a kid ,,,

They stay in this relationships 'cos they like it.They like being a victim,they like the attention of being refered to as victims they cant handle being the responsible for their failures unless they can blame it on a partner/husband who is abusive,so they stick around to have just that.Dont pity them they have an ace card up their sleeves.

Kruella   

Pardon me Orgi, but are you saying that it's because of her "failures" that she is abused? So she is an undercover victim? I will be interested in your "victim playing" analysis, this is by far a new concept in abusive relationships.

Salam

i am not saying they are abused because of their failures but they cant leave an abusive relationship because they cant handle everyday failures that you an i accept as our own and are looking for scapegoat and a way to tell themselves that they only reason they failed is because they are in an abusive relationship.This is an explanation for all their ills in life and wouldnt know how to deal with their ills in life if they left the abusive relationship.

We can’t just state the obvious or stereotypical reasons as to why women stay in abusive relationships. There must be other influencing factors that are unique in their own way or rather unique to each case. Perhaps they’re taught or perhaps both individuals grew up in an abusive relationship, and they might think those sort of behaviours are perfectly normal.

Or maybe its just tough love.