In America the city of Detroit paid $20 each to homeless people to go into register, so the city would qualify for the million people city and they were very close at some 900+ K.

In Ethiopia its census year, very important for election and also for the federal equalization disbursement from Federal government.

All Ethiopians except Amxara are demanding that the census be done.

Amxara are saying over my dead body, unless done after election and after the disbursement formulae is done.

Reason:

Amxara kilil population is about 23 million. Of this it was generally stated as 22 million Amxara. Now almost every ethnic in Amxara kilil has organized itself and want the list to be according to Ethnic. Its estimated the Agews (about 6 clans/tribes) alone are about 11 Million. Most of them were not even on the list in past census they were counted as Amxara. On top of that there are about 6 other Ethnics who are Oromo, Argoba...etc.

The educated guess is that the Amxara Ethnic are are only about 5 million. Another 5 million in other kilils and that is it.

How is the census politics in Somaliland, Puntland, Djibouti..etc.

In Kililka its big politics, but nothing violent or life or death kind of politics. Some from Somaliland, some from Djibouti and some from other regions of Somalia may show up for the count, but this is positive since it only adds to the total Somali population, without meaningfully affecting the balance inside Kililka.

Duufaan   

In Somali region a lot of people inimigrated the last several years, mostly to Somalia. Closely 40% left the region. I do not think the numbers will be good

galbeedi   

OO, 

this is sensetive issue in the region. The Amhara might lose people in their region when Agnew and others are substracted, but might compensate their numbers in other regions. They have presence in all 9 regions.

I am one of those who believe that the so called 100 million to be bogus. It is between 80-90 million. The Amara have around 20 million , Oromo 40, Tigray 5 minus other nationalities that live in Tigray,  and the Somali should be around 5.5 million.

The Amhara will fight very hard if Addis is put in question by others or dominated by Oromo. In my travels, Addis seem to be an Amhara and Guraage majority with Oromo minority.In Ethiopia today, other than Oromo, Somali , Afar and Tigray, everyone else could call themselves Ahmara. If you speak the language you could be one. That is why their numbers become big. Even many  the Christian Oromo who are in the Oromo bandwagon to get to elected office , might claim Amhara if things get tough.

I agree with Duufaan that a lot of Somalis had left the region. a third Of our OG brothers had left for Kismaayo and Kenya. A friend who works for the NGO's told me that when he went recently in KIsmaayo , he noticed that almost everyone spoke Galbeed dialect and was surprised. It was like having tea in Hargeisa and reer Banaadir speaking people rooming the place with their dialect. Also a lot of Somalis left from 1977-1997. Although lately the region has attracted many people from Somalialand due to lower cost of living , stable currency and free schools.

The biggest issue is the Somali region is out of the system compare to other regions. You do not know which one is village, town or district. 

1 hour ago, galbeedi said:

OO, 

this is sensetive issue in the region. The Amhara might lose people in their region when Agnew and others are substracted, but might compensate their numbers in other regions. They have presence in all 9 regions.

I am one of those who believe that the so called 100 million to be bogus. It is between 80-90 million. The Amara have around 20 million , Oromo 40, Tigray 5 minus other nationalities that live in Tigray,  and the Somali should be around 5.5 million.

The Amhara will fight very hard if Addis is put in question by others or dominated by Oromo. In my travels, Addis seem to be an Amhara and Guraage majority with Oromo minority.In Ethiopia today, other than Oromo, Somali , Afar and Tigray, everyone else could call themselves Ahmara. If you speak the language you could be one. That is why their numbers become big. Even many  the Christian Oromo who are in the Oromo bandwagon to get to elected office , might claim Amhara if things get tough.

I agree with Duufaan that a lot of Somalis had left the region. a third Of our OG brothers had left for Kismaayo and Kenya. A friend who works for the NGO's told me that when he went recently in KIsmaayo , he noticed that almost everyone spoke Galbeed dialect and was surprised. It was like having tea in Hargeisa and reer Banaadir speaking people rooming the place with their dialect. Also a lot of Somalis left from 1977-1997. Although lately the region has attracted many people from Somalialand due to lower cost of living , stable currency and free schools.

The biggest issue is the Somali region is out of the system compare to other regions. You do not know which one is village, town or district. 

You are right in that the population of Ethiopia is much less than 100 million.

But as regards to the Somali the loss from out migration is not much. Places like Kismayu are too small (quarter million) that let alone 30-50 thousand Somalis from Kililka, even 10,000 would completely take over and since they are new and slightly different they become very visible.

Kililka has highest birth rate in Ethiopia. Child death has been reduced greatly, so all in all the decline is not that big. The conflict with Oromia region may have affected population a bit. A good idea would be that from all bordering regions, people come for the count. It is significant for the disbursement of Federal funds.

Amxara will not gain in other regions since they were always counted as Amhara Ethnic even the ones in Kililka in the past, but they will loose a great deal in their kilil.

Is there follow up to the conference, like web site, twitter account..etc Its a good idea that you had conference, but follow up is important. Having good relations with all regions even all governments is also important, even those you may not like or those that are suspicious.