Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg

Single Mothers on the rise in the somali community

Buuxo   

^Well according to data from social security agencies,It can be said Single parent families in somali communities is widespread.

Blessed   

^ :D That wouldn't be very reliable, would it.

Errm. I'm confused, so help me out here.. Someone being a single mother is your problem because...?

It's bad for the community because...?

Apart from not having a husband who helps out with the bills and taking care of the children - and yes before someone jumps on me and points this out, even some married mothers don't enjoy this 'luxuary' - how is a single mother, different to a married one. Is there a shift in the mother-to-child dynamics? Why is this worthy of concern and communal discussion?

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

^Couldn't father be single...I don't understand why is it the mothers that get labelled?

If you are single, have child (You don't have to have the custody of the child) and then you are single whatever.

Sadly, most fathers divorce their children along with their mothers.

Strangly, married women are threatned by the so-called "single mother" phenomena. I tell you, they are up in arms about the lack of "straint" of these women. It actually cracks me up! Kudos to anyone who is raising a child alone. I say more power to them.

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

''Phenomena''

''On the rise''

''epidemic''

Are not the same as ''i saw one or two in my neighbourhood''(plea se don't lie and tell me you saw hundreds because that's b.s)

I'm a studies/statistics man and you have given me nothing to work with other than ''hearsay''. A google search with the words 'Single Somali mothers'' and i'm re-directed to other ''Hearsay'' topics on SOL.

These rubbish topics probably were taken as actual evidence in the following book:

Somali Single Parent headed households, including male headed ones, are becoming more common, particulary in the Diaspora
-
International Perspectives on Family Violence and Abuse: A Cognitive Ecological Approach

by Kathleen Malley-Morrison pg 231

Why do Somalis enjoy generalizing and blowing things out of proportion? and never with actual facts to back these statements.

No offense to you Sir Q.A but this is beginning to tire me.

Oh my, (grins from ear to ear and jumps about excited)bravo-bravo- bravo. At last a man who is charismatically logical and likable all at once. No mean feat I tell you.

Now this is the type of thing I like to hear. Facts, figures and actual statistical evidence. If its anecdotal for example then it should be stressed as being as such right at the every beginning of the topic otherwise it can get very confusing leading to assumptions.

As for the topic? I personally have no reply to contribute because I quite frankly find it quite vexing and can just taste the subliminally negative "single mothers are bad mothers" syndrome that will no doubt predictably and bitterly ensue. Society is bad, evil and corrupt-then who shall we blame? I know single mothers! Oh the joy!

(Sarcasm/off)

I'm off again....peace

I noticed most of the women here on sol have no problem admitting that their are a lot of single mothers in our community, but the men seem to be incapable of facing reality. I suppose it understandable, because it does not speak well of somali men. But it's the reality, and something needs to be done.

Blessed

In all societies a good family consists of a mother and a father, one cannot expect a single woman to have both responsibilities without some obvious consequences and in most cases kids who grow in single mother households are no well adjusted.

Khayr   

Apart from not having a husband who helps out with the bills and taking care of the children - and yes before someone jumps on me and points this out, even some married mothers don't enjoy this 'luxuary' - how is a single mother, different to a married one. Is there a shift in the mother-to-child dynamics? Why is this worthy of concern and communal discussion?

Somebody got an issue with the label itself.

You know raagu, qaarkowd single mothers ee doonayan because maasruf iyo guurey oomaa baxaana. Single mothers are low maintenance ! icon_razz.gif

Truth be told though, I find the single mother phenomena a common occurance now in the somali community. A married couple with children - that class is a minority in our communities.

May Allah protect us all from this disease that plagues the somalia communities.