Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg

Single Mothers on the rise in the somali community

^^^ [edir] chubacka You can't discuss false information other than refuting its falsehood

The challenge for Qalbi is to back his argument and he failed miserably. SOL has passed the time where every crap was regarded as a real debate. Unless you have evidence whether it is stats or anecdotal do not come up with a topic for a real debate.

If Qalbi phrased in a way that he wants a general discussion and not a real debate then he should have phrased the topic headline as a question rather than a definitive statement or could have asked the impact of single parenthood...or something along those lines... on the other hand some responded by looking it from different angle but the dude that he is Qalbi refused to accept the flaws in his statement.

BTW what is mite?

Adama-Zayla

Your either blind to the realities or choose to ignore them, somali's in the diaspora are largely the same and face the same problems. Im sure there are plenty of exceptions, but exceptions is not what im interested in.

Somali diaspora in general are either working class or live on government assistance, therefore these kinds of problems are more likely to affect them, the same way it affects other poor ethnicities like black americans, latino's etc. It's more about class than race.

As you even admitted that there a lot of women who have lost their husbands etc, isn't it likely that the children of these women will also become single mothers/parents? The environment somali's raise their children, breeds single parenthood and it's seen as the norm.

Couple this with a general trend of young kids having kids(somali's are no exception to this) and it can definitely be described as a problem.

Coming back to evidence.

I suppose this woman's observations are wrong too:

http://action.web.ca /home/somalicanadian s/views_women.shtml? x=84937&AA_EX_Sessio n=ef56c38038178c742b acbdddf2bb5388

Or kathleen malley book "international perspectives on family violence and abuse" .

It seems your only interested in scholarly work that support your case, and all other peoples work or observation is not good enough.

Or even this article on somali migration to lewiston. http://www.centralma ine.com/news/stories /020908somalis_.shtm l

"Fulfilling that expectation is complicated because so many of the Somali families are single mothers and children, the fathers dead, missing, still in Africa or still in Atlanta"

Originally posted by chubacka:

Oh brother, the poor guy only wanted to have a general discussion in a discussion forum, why don't you jst sue him for his audacity?

honestly you ppl need to calm down, stop thinking about "preserving" some elusive reputation an just discuss these topical issues without being so ridiculously petty. If you disagree with his observations then jst say so.

Noone is talent spotting on SOL, I think thats one thing I can say for sure (obviously if they were I would have been contacted years ago
;)
)

No kidding. These guys dhiig kar baa qabta whenever someone doesn't agree with them.

Nephissa   

What is the main reason behind this? lately there is more and more young single mothers in the somali community.

Very simple. Women don't have to stay in a bad marriage any more. :rolleyes:

chubacka   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

If Qalbi phrased in a way that he wants a general discussion and not a real debate then he should have phrased the topic headline as a question rather than a definitive statement or could have asked the impact of single parenthood...or something along those lines... on the other hand some responded by looking it from different angle but the dude that he is Qalbi refused to accept the flaws in his statement.

BTW what is mite?

mite= might

Yep I agree with you perhaps he could have phrased it differently as I assumed he wanted a general discussion on this issue and perhaps a ? on the end of his tread would have solved all these probs. Evenso we cannot expect every thread on SOL to have a PHD thesis behind it and we cannot expect every discussion to be based on solid facts, lets not get beyond ourselves. All this pretentiousness is a bit :rolleyes:

If Sir Q phrased his tread incorrectly then I think those that responded made the same mistake.

Fabregas   

Originally posted by Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg:

^ What exactly will it take for you to be convinced? Somali's are the same other black communities when it comes to single mothers.

One doesn't need hard evidence or statistics when plain observation is enough.

:D

talk about stereotyping. How do you observe if a women is a single mother or not? The fact that she is pushing three kids on a pushchair could mean the husban could at work :D or chilling with his friends at the local cafe.

Chubacka, you have point, lakin, such statements as the one above can not be taken seriously without any evidence or studies to show that there is an epidemic of single mothers and that the issue is like other "black communities" . Peoples observations on such issues count for nothing. Maybe the brother should have just starte a general discussion.

Chimera   

Sir Q.A just OWN UP and confess that you were simply generalizing our community and you have NO clue about wether there is an actual 'rise' or a 'decline' other than your own 'observations' backed by a website from a fadhi ku dirir complaining about Somali men. I'm not a person that denies reality but at the same time i won't swallow crap even IF challenging you will make me look 'pretentious' and deserving of a -> rolleyes.gif.

Fact is when topics about the 'rising' problem of 'Autism' in the Somali community were posted they were accompanied by statistics displaying percentages of the actual growth rate and the difference between Somalia born children and US born children. That's concrete research! You have given us nothing other than arguments like ''because of our skincolor we must be this way too'' or ''a significant section of this generation was raised by Single parents therefore they will become single parents aswell'' which are all fallacies. I have two uncles who died in the war and their children (my older female cousins and male cousins) today are married and raising their children as nuclear families.

Again my word against yours!

^ listen saxiib, you need to stop being uppity, the evidence is there, and it's not just my own observations. Just because there is no statistics, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Do you need statistics for everything?

You're just mad that this single mother phenomena might paint somali people in a negative light, well instead of ignoring it, maybe it's time we found solutions and investigate the cause?

Chimera   

More strawman arguments, stop being so stubborn and rephrase your original statement, you failed to deliver! and what's with this 'elusive reputation' - 'Mad at painting the Somali people in a negative way' talk? Dude if you told my Grand parents 40 years ago about Somalia's future after the 90s they would say that is impossible but all these horrible and negative things did descend upon Somalis and Somalia, everything that could go wrong went wrong!. The Somali Canvas is full my friend, there is not a spot left, so spare me the ad hominems!

anyways i'm out, have a nice discussion!

Xidigo   

^^Negative way aa? Soomaalidu ayagaaba negative lugaynaya ah. Mida kale dumarka Somaaliyeed ee Canada jooga intooda badani waa wada single mom intaan anigu ka arkay.

^Horta waa su,aale meeshan (SOL) Soomaali ma joogto miyaa.

And since we are making crude observations, of the twelve sets of parents that I know, only one couple are divorced, and though divorced, both parents remained very involved in their kids' lives.

Now could my observation be applied to the general public, I doubt that but that doesn't make my observation any less true. The same could be said about Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg's observation.

Xidigo   

^^ Maxaa tidhi inabti? smile.gif

Adam-Zaylac doesn't want these kinds of observations. He wants statistical analysis in a graph, showing exactly the # of Somali single moms out there. Can you provide that Yaa Che :D

^LooooooooL..I skip a beat when I write.Reread please.

I could provide him with data that could be attained within 3 square miles of our neighborhood smile.gif

Originally posted by Xidigo*:

^^ Maxaa tidhi inabti?
smile.gif

Adam-Zaylac doesn't want these kinds of observations. He wants statistical analysis in a graph, showing exactly the # of Somali single moms out there. Can you provide that Yaa Che
:D

I dont think Zay is asking for that. His was,that one should not make general broad statements and declare them to be facts. And If you do so,bring proof. Yes that includes statistics and pie charts per every single home. smile.gif

The moral of the story is,This is not 1990,when the waxaa la yidhi wararka was rampant. These days,you need data and the sweet thing about it is,these are available anywhere.