Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg

Single Mothers on the rise in the somali community

Originally posted by Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg:

I didn't blame anyone if you read carefully. Next time, read and understand what someone writes before you leave a comment for fock sakes.

It's my second language, but what was there to read. You asked very vague question, and we all perceived differently...now elaborate on your question. We are not interested in your presumptions and biases icon_razz.gif

Paragon...You could never win with them haye :D

Chimera   

Sir Q.A, first of all 'Phenomena' and 'epidemic' are terms that are used loosely around here(see Marx topics for example) hence their inclusion in my point. Secondly there is no 'rise' because the first communities of the diaspora allready consisted of a large section of Single parents(in this case predominantly women) because usually(unfortunatel y) the father died during the civil war, it's nothing comparable to 'other black communities'

Frankly it's my word against yours, I see every day Somali fathers holding the hands of their sons & daughters and walking them to school, during Eid i see hundreds of Somali families with both a mother and a father should i now erect a topic and proclaim all is honky dory in the Somali community? of course not! There are issue's in the Somali community but nowhere near the scale of the communities you want to compare us to.

ps sxb be less angry in your reply's, my points are not ad hominems.

^^^ You are assuming he knows anything about numbers, wouldn't an increase mean it is the difference between two numbers, the latter (time wise) being higher than the first number?... then how an anecdotal evidence can increase beats me!

Qalbi, you are working with a very thin spread lite butter here and the dudes don't want you to mess the rep, na'mean?

Paragon, wallee adaan kaa yaabay, gacmahana babis weyn baad ku sidataa, dhabarkana waxaad ku xambaarsantahay Gas, bal wax dheh adi :D

Cheers

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

''Phenomena''

''On the rise''

''epidemic''

Are not the same as ''i saw one or two in my neighbourhood''(plea se don't lie and tell me you saw hundreds because that's b.s)

I'm a studies/statistics man and you have given me nothing to work with other than ''hearsay''. A google search with the words 'Single Somali mothers'' and i'm re-directed to other ''Hearsay'' topics on SOL.

These rubbish topics probably were taken as actual evidence in the following book:

Somali Single Parent headed households, including male headed ones, are becoming more common, particulary in the Diaspora
-
International Perspectives on Family Violence and Abuse: A Cognitive Ecological Approach

by Kathleen Malley-Morrison pg 231

Why do Somalis enjoy generalizing and blowing things out of proportion? and never with actual facts to back these statements.

No offense to you Sir Q.A but this is beginning to tire me.

You were doing so well until you mentioned that book! I am assuming you read it, saaxib. It is a shame that you did not tell us what it actually contained. On the other hand, if you DID NOT read it, it would be a real shame to find that the preacher is no better than the student. ;)

On the topic itself, I agree with you. Stuff and nonsense.

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

Sir Q.A, first of all 'Phenomena' and 'epidemic' are terms that are used loosely around here(see Marx topics for example) hence their inclusion in my point. Secondly there is no 'rise' because the first communities of the diaspora allready consisted of a large section of Single parents(in this case predominantly women) because usually(unfortunatel y) the father died during the civil war, it's nothing comparable to 'other black communities'

Frankly it's my word against yours, I see every day Somali fathers holding the hands of their sons & daughters and walking them to school, during Eid i see hundreds of Somali families with both a mother and a father should i now erect a topic and proclaim all is honky dory in the Somali community? of course not! There are issue's in the Somali community but nowhere near the scale of the communities you want to compare us to.

ps sxb be less angry in your reply's, my points are not ad hominems.

Im not talking about the older generation, im talking young single mothers in their 20's and early thirties who grew up here. The reality is there are more single mothers in the somali community in all the big western cities, wheter you accept it or not is laregly up to you. I don't understand this pointless denial of reality.

Chimera   

Sir Q.A as i said before you have given me nothing to work with!(On what info do you base this 'rise'? - like L.O.Z said you need to have a clear starting point to come to that conclusion.)

NGONGE i've seen several studies where they actually put as a reference 'Camel milk threads SOL'. Kathleen like Sir Q.A doesn't tell us how she came to that conclusion either and seeing as her book came out a year after the 'Single mothers phenomena' topic of SOL, i put two and two together.

SOL is the most respected Somali forum on the internet, multiple News outlets,journalists and scholars lurk on this website, it's no secret!

^ What exactly will it take for you to be convinced? Somali's are the same other black communities when it comes to single mothers.

One doesn't need hard evidence or statistics when plain observation is enough.

Nehanda   

Adam is absolutely right on this. How did you reach this conclusion? Single mothers on the rise you state, what stats are u referring to and how are u benchmarking to determine this augmentation? I suggest that you stop emitting false information.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg:

^ What exactly will it take for you to be convinced?

The Somali equivalance of this:

1231g1.gif

Somali's are the same other black communities when it comes to single mothers.

First of all there is no need to generalize millions of people just because they share the same skin color(socially and culturally Nigerians are very different from Jamaicans and Malawis are very different from African Americans etc), secondly 'single parenthood' is not exclusive to Blacks, matter fact a population the size of Somalia are currently single parents in the US and i doubt they are all Blacks. In Australia 13% of households are headed by single parents who are predominantly white.

There is a book called ''Do Men Mother?'' which you can read in 'googlebooks' that features an entire section on Single Somali Fathers in Canada and this scholar unlike Kathleen actually interviewed,surveyed our community before publishing the book, so as others have said before 'Somali Single Parenthood' should not be limited to women only.

One doesn't need hard evidence or statistics when plain observation is enough.

That's illogical!

The climate in one country doesn't necessarily have to be the same as the climate of a neighbouring country, plain observations won't get you far!. Socially and financially Minnesotan Somali Americans are better off than Somali Norwegians, yet they are both Somali communities with the same traditions and cultural fabrics. We could disintergate this point of mine even further; How can you prove that the Somali households in your city don't differ from the Somali households from another city?(same country)

I'm asking you this because in your original statement you generalized the entire diaspora - consisting of a dozen communities spread out over multiple countries - when you put 'Somali community'(Diaspora) as opposed to 'Somali c. UK - Somali c. US - Somali c. Canada etc

chubacka   

Oh brother, the poor guy only wanted to have a general discussion in a discussion forum, why don't you jst sue him for his audacity?

honestly you ppl need to calm down, stop thinking about "preserving" some elusive reputation an just discuss these topical issues without being so ridiculously petty. If you disagree with his observations then jst say so.

Noone is talent spotting on SOL, I think thats one thing I can say for sure (obviously if they were I would have been contacted years ago ;) )

Chimera   

Alright then, i will from now on stop telling a person to back his statements with actual information that could start a serious and lively discussion. I will no longer challenge BS when i see it, for fear of being accused of trying to 'preserve a elusive reputation'

Viva Ad Populum!

chubacka   

jst write it as your signiture, that will save you a lot of time an bother and it might let the issue actually be discussed. As they say there's no smoke without fire so most of the so called "BS" is based on something which mite or mite not warrant a discussion.

Chimera   

Originally posted by chubacka:

jst write it as your signiture, that will save you a lot of time an bother and it might let the issue actually be
discussed

And what have we been doing all this time? Pressing someone for concrete evidence IS 'discussing' the issue! but he did not deliver, simple as that!

As they say there's no smoke without fire

Ad populum logic!

so most of the so called "BS" is based on
something
which mite or mite not warrant a discussion.

It seems you aswell don't even know what his theory is based upon. Something what?

This is getting silly!