Sign in to follow this  
Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg

Single Mothers on the rise in the somali community

^Couldn't father be single...I don't understand why is it the mothers that get labelled?

If you are single, have child (You don't have to have the custody of the child) and then you are single whatever.

MZanzi   

No offence but "it takes two to make a baby"...Shaming single mothers is unfair and doesn’t prevent, solve, or alleviate any of their or society’s issues

Chimera   

''Phenomena''

''On the rise''

''epidemic''

Are not the same as ''i saw one or two in my neighbourhood''(plea se don't lie and tell me you saw hundreds because that's b.s)

I'm a studies/statistics man and you have given me nothing to work with other than ''hearsay''. A google search with the words 'Single Somali mothers'' and i'm re-directed to other ''Hearsay'' topics on SOL.

These rubbish topics probably were taken as actual evidence in the following book:

Somali Single Parent headed households, including male headed ones, are becoming more common, particulary in the Diaspora - International Perspectives on Family Violence and Abuse: A Cognitive Ecological Approach

by Kathleen Malley-Morrison pg 231

Why do Somalis enjoy generalizing and blowing things out of proportion? and never with actual facts to back these statements.

No offense to you Sir Q.A but this is beginning to tire me.

Originally posted by Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg:

It takes two to make a baby, but only one carries it for nine months and has a connection with it. Lets get real here.

Then let's not equate this with Somali community since the word community means men, women and everything in between. This is purely women's issue then icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

''Phenomena''

''On the rise''

''epidemic''

Are not the same as ''i saw one or two in my neighbourhood''(plea se don't lie and tell me you saw hundreds because that's b.s)

I'm a studies/statistics man and you have given me nothing to work with other than ''hearsay''. A google search with the words 'Single Somali mothers'' and i'm re-directed to other ''Hearsay'' topics on SOL.

These rubbish topics probably were taken as actual evidence in the following book:

Somali Single Parent headed households, including male headed ones, are becoming more common, particulary in the Diaspora
-
International Perspectives on Family Violence and Abuse: A Cognitive Ecological Approach

by Kathleen Malley-Morrison pg 231

Why do Somalis enjoy generalizing and blowing things out of proportion? and never with actual facts to back these statements.

No offense to you Sir Q.A but this is beginning to tire me.

I don't remember using the word epidemic, but it doesn't take a genius to notice that single mother households are on the rise(increasing) in the somali community. It might be just anecdotal evidence, but it's the truth. The same way other black communities have this same problem of single mothers.

Even if there were statistical evidence, you would still find some excuses and call them biased. Let's get real here instead of sweeping shit under the proverbial rug.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

quote:Originally posted by Sir-Qalbi-Adeyg:

It takes two to make a baby, but only one carries it for nine months and has a connection with it. Lets get real here.

Then let's not equate this with Somali community since the word community means men, women and everything in between. This is purely women's issue then
icon_razz.gif
Last I checked women are part of somali community, whatever affects them, affects the whole community and is reflective of the community.

Paragon   

I am officially proud (with inverted comas, lest it's mistaken for something else) of SOL brothers.

Beautiful and rational responses, and all from SOL brothers. Amen! Alas! At last! :D

whatever affects them, affects the whole community and is reflective of the community.

Then you can't make the single mother phenomena a Somali women's issue, nor you could blame entirely. Things don't happen in vacuum. There's cause and effect..You are just looking at one thing and more sadly pointing out the obvious as if we don't know the mom has closer relationship with the kids than father.

Paragon....Oh stop, self flattery is never good icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

quote: whatever affects them, affects the whole community and is reflective of the community.

Then you can't make the single mother phenomena a Somali women's issue, nor you could blame entirely. Things don't happen in vacuum. There's cause and effect..You are just looking at one thing and more sadly pointing out the obvious as if we don't know the mom has closer relationship with the kids than father.

I didn't blame anyone if you read carefully. Next time, read and understand what someone writes before you leave a comment for fock sakes.

Paragon   

Che

Even that would somehow agitate gabdhaha. I know that was a flattery of a sort - but I am wondering hadda markii la difaacey waxay oran doonaan? :D

I sort of feel a kind of PC veil falling on SOL these days. Where it goes we'll see.