Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

When you....

J.Lee   

One of my teachers who is avid lover of languages, asked me what language I dream in. I told her english so she said English is my first language. (I object to it)So I was just wondering what language do you dream in when in La la land? And do you consider it to be your first language?

I dream in Flemish n Loa . I don't know why?...n they are not my first languages. I don't even know Flemish or Loa. Interesting though, i guess everything can happen when we are in La La Land.

underdog   

It depends on what you're dreaming about....I think.

When I'm talking in af Somali, I think in somali and when I'm talking in english I think in english. Thats why I think I would make a terrible interpreter.

As for my dreams, most of them involve me falling off a cliff or out of a window or off roof....so not much chit chat going on there....ps. I never actually hit the ground so I still don't know whether I would bounce or not

Macalin   

LOL!@UnderDog-Sxb the ground is not a mattress..U will NOT Bounce :D Rest assured i know i came in a THUD

My dreams are always abt this UGLY OLD WITCH-she keeps haunting Me-she DOESNT say a WORD.

LuCkY   

IT depends what Language im thinking in whenever i zone off to La La Land.Sometimes in EngLIsh and sometimes in SomaLi.And No i dont consider EngLish to be my first Language.

Underdog---bouncing?It aint cartoonLand ya know...but do u reaLLy wanna find out?

shyhem   

I really don't know which langauge i dream in, but i must admit the last dream i had a few days ago was one the worst i ever i had apart from the one i used to have as young boy..... that always used to feature a lion chasing me and i can't out run it or i'm almost falling into adeep well only that i'm barely hanging with my finger tips and in all cases the dream ends with me waking up before i'm eaten by the lion or falling all way into the well.

Anyway the dream i had a few days ago was unsual one.I dreamt of a snake crawling btw my legs and as if thats ain't scary enough,the snake just decided to take a nap resting on my thing for what seemed like ages.finally the snake moved towards my back and bite me twice on my right shoulde.That night; before i slept i went to see my friend, and this girl opened the door for me,she was staring at me as much as i was and i'm now wondering if the snake was representing the girl.........how else will u explain a snake on u'r thing.

iNoSeNsE   

Well first of I don’t dream so I can’t relate to the topic but if I was a dreamer it have to be Spanish.

Underdog: if u hit the floor while ur in La La Land my dear ur time is up.. God bless ur cotton socks..

Paragon   

Dreams have a universal language. That universial langauge is directly linked to our subconsciousness, and, whatever information that is decoded from the dream becomes filtered and is stored in a central place in our mind, which then distributes the dream to different linguistic dimensions. By linguistic dimension, i mean, the languages one speaks, and enough vocabulary is produced by our brain to materialise the dream into a story-style. A dream is like a smile. All humans communicate through smiles and no one can ask the question: In what language do you smile with?

Changed   

i seriously cant tell what language i dream in .all i know is its comprehendable , i understand it , i had the weirdest dream a month ago, i planned to wear one of my skirts the next day, in my dream i saw me wearing the skirt going to chemistry and spilling something on it , coming back home , and skipping all my classes cuz i was to lazy to walk back to school and that is what happened to me that next day :eek: :eek: :eek: creepy as hell..these days i say La illaha illah and sleep , if i dont do the shahada i get nightmares redface.gif :mad: :eek:

Jaabir   

Originally posted by Shyhem:

I really don't know which langauge i dream in, but i must admit the last dream i had a few days ago was one the worst i ever i had apart from the one i used to have as young boy.....

wlcm back home boi smile.gif

Most of the time, I think in English ...or so I thought. During my freshman year, a friend of mine over heard me.....you see I talk in my sleep...and she reported that I speak somali 99% of the time.

And speaking of dreams, do you guys have vivid dreams each and every single night?

now as a farax who lived in 4 continents so far! my dreams r all in pure nomad style! and mind u i left the nomad country side be4 the age of 10. u see dream are subconscious staff...so may be xalimos have been traumatize by men of the west!lol.. and now dreams come to them in the form of backed up abused formats defending themselves in foreign languages lol! just a thought! what do u all think! let be honest! how can one dream talking ebonic or whatever!!!

Ariadne   

The language that you dream in doesn't necessarily mean it's your first language, but your mother tongue. Any individuals mother tongues is determined by the language they dream in and the language they count in whether to themsleves or outloud. A person may be born into a mother tongue and grow up speaking it or they can adopt a mother tongue (sadly my first language is Somali second Arabic and third for me is English, yet English is my mother tongue).

A persons' first language is just that; their first language, but their mother tongue is their language of choice (first languages can also be individuals mothertongues).

Blessed   

I never remember my dreams so I wouldm't know. But in my thoughts I tend to code-swtich between Somali & English. This dependes on the subject, when it comes to technical / academic issues my Somali is almost non-existant - when it comes to describing feelings than somali provids me with the oral richness that I need.

Is it me, or is the English words so dull when talking of romance?