Sign in to follow this  
HALIMA ABDUL

are we african or arab

Sky   

well like i said the nilotic tribes like the ppl of southern sudan are distant cousins of the somali ppl. as u can see garang resembles the classic somali look in one way or another.

the VP tho. yes he can be mistaken for a somali. but his oversized nose would make him an exception among somalis.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Sky:

the VP tho. yes he can be mistaken for a somali. but his oversized nose would make him an exception among somalis.

So, I gather from you, oversized nose is what determines how close other ethnics are to Somalis? Garang certainly meets your criteria.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

My own research has pinpointed our origins to that part of the world (Bangladesh to be precise). Contrary to what many believe, Somalis with their soft hair, strange complexion and thin frames do not resemble Africans in anyway (nor do they look like Arabs). We look like our Bangladeshi brethren. We dress like our Bangladeshi brethren. We share the same religion as our Bangladeshi brethren.

Their Lamb Biriani tastes like our isku-daxkaris too :D

Originally posted by Lidia:

Actually, I trace my ancestors back to Portugal. I’m of Portuguese origin, and my ancestors were Portuguese ship merchants and not Arabs.

icon12.gif

VisiT   

^^^ :D Maybe Lidia is from Brava. Remember the portugese Vasco De Gama history in East African coast? There are decendent of portugese origins living in places such as Marka and Brava, I heard. In Mombasa, Kenya I remember the story of 'forte jesus' which he (i think it was de gama) build and is a tourist attraction even today.

So if Lidia traces her origin back to the portugese, my talk about the early portugese (when portugal and spain were main colonizers) may be relevant to what she's saying.

Lidia   

Originally posted by VisiT:

^^^
:D
Maybe Lidia is from Brava. Remember the portugese Vasco De Gama history in East African coast? There are decendent of portugese origins living in places such as Marka and Brava, I heard. In Mombasa, Kenya I remember the story of 'forte jesus' which he (i think it was de gama) build and is a tourist attraction even today.

So if Lidia traces her origin back to the portugese, my talk about the early portugese (when portugal and spain were main colonizers) may be relevant to what she's saying.

You've hit the nail on the head there, VisiT. Anyway, all I was saying is that not every Somali has an Arab blood.

Oh, and yes my family is from Brava.

Lidia   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

^^Do you have any idea why af-Baraawe is a labeled a Bantu language?

labeled by whom??

OG_Girl   

^^ I don't know but I loved this topic..lol

I'm just wondering why Somalis think that they are homogeneous? Why you think other Somalis are as same as your roots?Well,We all don't share the same roots but share the land.

As we all know Egypt is an Arab country but NOT all Egyptions are Arabs(by blood). Some are Pharoahs, Some are from Arab tribes whom moved from Arab Peninsula (great example is Jamal Abul nasir.. my mom too :D ), Some are Turk decents...They all are Arabs today share the language and the land...But not the roots....Somalis are just like that..share the language and the land but not the root.

For Baashi, the Germeny who learned Arabic isn't an Arab because Arabic language isn't his mother tangue.I know the Kurdish from Iraq whom Saddam forced them to be educated only in Arabic , speak their kurdish language at home therefore they are not an Arab they are Kurdish Iraqian.

PS:linda, I have a very close friend who is from Brave but says they are an Arab decents (a.g. Bani Hatem) I don't think that name can be a

portugese.

Salam

Is there anyone who thinks that Somalis are a mixture of Arab and African ,,, that we can describe our selves as AFROARAB ,,,,, hehe ,,,

think about it ,,,,,

OG_Girl   

Originally posted by Zulfa:

Iam afraid 30 or 50 yrs from now some Somalis will lose their identity as Somalis; and will ask one day "Are we Somalis, and if we are Somalis what is the proof?!:-
proof?!:-

"I don't look like a Somali,

I don't have a somali name,

I don't speak Somali language,

I don't know where exactly our ancestors used to live in Somalia,

I don't have any proof that Iam somalis, but the only thing I know is that I heard my mom saying that my grand grand grand father was a Somali"

The same repeated words : "I heard that .. I was told that .."

That already happened with my family,after 3 generation of marrying none somalis.Some of my cousins refuse that my grandfather was a Somali and make stories around him making him some thing else.

Salam

OG_Girl   

^^I got a proof that my grandfather was born in Wajeer(NFD)but he's been told that his grandfather was from Qabridahare but his family left Wajeer at age of 8 to Adan Yeman, married from there then, his son who is my father was born .. then moved to Egypt married from there... moved to Saudi Arabia early 50s then moved to Kuwait 1956... see I can trace my roots ... :D:D

That is my prove icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Salam

Heeeeey ,, Og ,,, yeah u have the history but not enough to proof that u r somali ,,,

there are some other ethics live in other country for a decades or even centuries ,,, u r not even sure that they are Oromo or something coz they live close to da area ,,, hehe ,,,

u just look like Somali and speak Somali ,,, i thinks so :D:D

OG_Girl   

:D Not really but I don't think my 6'3ft is from my Arab decents there must be some thing from Qabridahare. Well don't care but I wont drop that Somali thing in me even if that was 1% :D

Salam