Sign in to follow this  
HALIMA ABDUL

are we african or arab

muunad   

i think that we are plain african! although the fact the east africa with the exception of sudan looks different(hair,features, and so forth) from the rest of africa which makes it hard to support.

sudanes   

Originally posted by Haddad:

I have come across this
. The following is what I found interesting:

Almost all of the many different ethnic groups on the Horn of Africa trace their origins on the male side either:

a
. as
Hamitic
people back to Ham, the second son of Noah or

b
. as
Semitic
people back to Shem, the first son of Noah.

The Somali people are one of several
Hamitic
ethnic groups in East Africa known as
Cushites
, descendants of the Kingdom of Cush. Their language is also one of several related languages referred to as Cushitic languages. As Hamites, they probably migrated from the
Arabian Peninsula
sometime earlier. One can speculate that the Kingdom of Cush was originally founded by Cush, the first son of Ham, who was the second son of Noah. According to the elders of the Beja ethnic group in Ethiopia, another Cushitic ethnic group, they do explicitly claim to be descendents of Cush, the son of Ham, the son of Noah.

So, we can conclude a considerable people on the Horn of Africa are of
Hamitic
or
Semitic
origin. We know Ham and Shem were brothers. Finally, we conclude the brothers were based in the
Arabian Peninsula

WHEN YOU SAY WE ARE DESCENT FROM KUSH KINGDOM,IS THAT MEAN WE RELATED TO SUDANES ARABS..AND IF ARE ARE TRYING TO SAY WE WERE ONCE LOOKED LIKE JAREER..HELLO I DONT ACCEPT.

FIRST SUDANES ARABS ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT FORM US,BECAUSE THY WERE ONCE LOOKED LIKE JAREER(FIRCOON) BUT THEY INTERMARRIED WITH ARABS FROM EGYPT/SOUTHER ARABIA.AND THAT IS HOW THEY COME TO LOOK LIKE SOMALIS.

THE SUDUNES ARABS WILL TELL YOU THEIR AFRICAN ANCESTORS WERE SLAVES(IE NUBIANS) EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT THE SAME PEOPLE SINCE THEY ARE MARRIED ARABS.

lets all calm down

we have undoubtedly arab blood in us, in fact some clans claim they are descendents of the prophet(SAW)himself!

Being related to arabs is i feel an honour, not the arabs of today, but those of yesteryears.

Somalia is not in the Arab League for nothing, arabs recognise us as arab descendants.

We have also some African blood leaving us as...

....African Arabs i.e. a darker version of North African Arabs (i.e.Morrocans)

This is good for our religion and our pride because we have the best of both, we look better than jareer and arabs!

Lidia   

Actually, I trace my ancestors back to Portugal. I’m of Portuguese origin, and my ancestors were Portuguese ship merchants and not Arabs.

juba   

Originally posted by Haddad:

[You tried a
simple question
, but it's not. Reread it, and restate what you meant. Try not to complicate what you want to express.

please get rid of that English professor tone you seem to always take! i asked a question a five year old wouldn't give a stutter to! WHO HAS EVER HEARD/SEEN SOMALIS BEING GROUPED IN THE ARAB RACE!??

Haddad   

Originally posted by sudanes:

ARE TRYING TO SAY WE WERE ONCE LOOKED LIKE JAREER..HELLO I DONT ACCEPT.

Why not? What's wrong with the idea of Somalis who could once have looked like JAREER? I gather from your tone you despise the JAREER; you have to understand that kind of mentality is incompatible with Islam.

Originally posted by sudanes:

FIRST SUDANES ARABS ARE COMPLETLY DIFFERENT FORM US

You're wrong. The Sudanese look like Somalis. Look at how their foreign minister looks like:

345,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news2.yimg.com%2Fus.

Originally posted by juba:

WHO HAS EVER HEARD/SEEN SOMALIS BEING GROUPED IN THE ARAB RACE!??

Now, that's simple. But, there's no need to shout.

sudanes   

Originally posted by Lidia:

Actually, I trace my ancestors back to Portugal. I’m of Portuguese origin, and my ancestors were Portuguese ship merchants and not Arabs.

lidia if u were you i would have shut my mouth."i am portugees kulahaa" war heedhe white man only rapped not married because they faithless people.so having arab blood is different form havin portugee..arabs were muslims and married the locals..it is fact that sudan become arabs after arabs married their leaders doughters so that is how the country become arab land because the kush kingdom was so strong the egyptians used to fear alot,,so the only way to the arabs take over sudan was marrying the doughters of the important kings of sudan(nubians).

if you are teling me portegees married your people 18th century..well that is even assault 2 your people..as even the portugees will tell you they only rapped not married untill martin lurther king spoke an racism abolished!!

sudanes   

Originally posted by Cuchullin:

lets all calm down

we have undoubtedly arab blood in us, in fact some clans claim they are descendents of the prophet(SAW)himself!

Being related to arabs is i feel an honour, not the arabs of today, but those of yesteryears.

Somalia is not in the Arab League for nothing, arabs recognise us as arab descendants.

We have also some African blood leaving us as...

....African Arabs i.e. a darker version of North African Arabs (i.e.Morrocans)

This is good for our religion and our pride because we have the best of both, we look better than jareer and arabs!

FIRST I AND MOST SOMALIS KNOW WE ARE DESCEDANT OF ARABS..AND I KNOW WE ARE ACCEPTED IN ARAB LEAGUE BECAUSE OF ARAB DESCEDANT.DONT GET ME WRONG IT IS GREAT BEING RELATED TO PROPHET MOHAMED S.A.W RACE AND PREVILEDGE TO BE CALLED HIS RACE.

INFACT SOMALIS HAVE MORE ARAB BLOOD THAT SUDANES ARABS SICE DOME OF THEM HAVE ALITTLE BIT OF AFRICAN NOSE..NOT BEING ABUSIVE JUST STATING OF CORSE THEY ARE GENERALLY HANDSOME PEOPLE.

BUT WHAT GETS ME IS HOW COULD WE BE ARABS WHEN WE ARE MIXED..WHAT ABOUT ACKNOWLEGING OUR AFRICAN BLOOD!!....AND ALSO WE ARE NOT ARE ARABIC SPEAKING NATION! YOU SEE THAT IS WHAT SOMALIS CONFUSE NOT ACTUALLY HAVING ARAB BLOOD BUT NOT ARABIC SPEAKING NATION.

CAN ABDUALHI YUSUF SPEAK ARABIC WHEN HE WENT TO ALGERIAN ARAB NATIONS SUMMIT?????

bilan   

sudanes it seems to me from your posts that you've problems with 'jareer', however whether you like it or not there is no difference between somalis and those you label them as jareer to most of the world's population they do look the same (there are also somalis who refer to themselves as jareer). it seems to me you've inferiority complex,just because you claim to have arab blood, you think you're better than them,what makes arabs better than bantu? to me nigerians are closer to somalis than syrians because they (somalis and Nigerians)share color, continent and sometimes religion also maybe those you know think/believe they are arab,but also there are large segment of somali population(including me :D ) who believe that we do not share arabs anything except the religion. FYI somalia joined arab league because they wanted money, and arabs accepted them because they needed their vote in the UN. to be arab you have to speak arabic regardless of your color,or features. there are arabs who look like they are from angola and there are arabs who look like they are white. whether you belong to prophet's race or not is irrelevent, abu-lahab was his uncle, and that did not save him from going to hell.

ADNAAN   

Arabs no matter how you perceive them they will always think of u as a nigger “abdâ€. Some of u may have heard of Antara Bin Shadaad, his mother was a black African slave and his father was a Bedouin Arab. He was famous by his braveness and they used to praise him whenever he took on the enemy, but apart from that they called him the slave “abdâ€â€¦more or less his story summarises the current Somali position for they will always be slaves in the minds of Arabs unless they outweigh the Arabs in many areas of life such as having a credible government which is financial, militarily and educationally superior or somehow moderate in compare to the Arab countries

( which is just a dream for the time being ). Nations are always known to write their history by their tradition, so why not the Somalis, they should enhance their culture and traditions and be proud of their unknown identity rather than claiming to be part of ppl who aren’t accepting them.

My self I was lately into the Somali literature and these lines fit this scenario, so enjoy it.

Haddaad dhimato geeridu marbay nolosha dhaantaaye

Dhaqashiyo mar bay kaa yihiin dhereggu xaaraane

Dhadhan malaha aadmigu wuxu kugu dhalliilaaye

Nin dharbaaxo quudheed dugsaday dhaqayaded maalye

Dhashaaday sugtaa xaajadaad dhawrataa abide.

Haddad   

Originally posted by bilan:

whether you belong to prophet's race or not is irrelevent, abu-lahab was his uncle, and that did not save him from going to hell.

Well said.

BOB   

I've read many history books and conducted my own little research and I finally realized it is all one big lie after another as there's no way a man born in Europe can tell me about my ancestry when he doesn't even know his?

I say he doesn't know his because this is the same man who says our ancestors were Apes.(give me a break)

Now how can I trust the words of a man who doesnt even see me as a human and denies my humanity?

My point is our Somali history is corrupted just like they corrupted our minds and souls by dividing us into countless clans and sub clans while we're only between 8-10 million and they convinced us to believe that some of us were born to a superior family while the others were born to an inferior clans and we still all look alike, act alike and talk alike and dare I say even think alike (most of the time at least)

Only Allah knows whether we have a Chinese blood, an Arab blood or even a Bantu blood in us but the fact of the matter is we are SOMALI now and in the eyes of the whole world that is who we are and we should be proud of it because what matters most is that we are MUSLIMS and we should all be grateful to almighty Allah for that as we embraced Islam before many Arab countries and no Somali soul ever shed the blood of our beloved Prophet Muhammed's (P.B.U.H) companions and in my opinion that is the highest honor any person could get and as a Somali race it is something we should all be proud of instead of a lousy Tribe/s.

That's all I have to say.

STAY SOMALI MARYOOLEY 4EVER.

Peace,Love & Unity.

Sky   

TO ALL OF YOU MORONS, WE ARE NOT MIXED ARABS/AFRICAN!

we are simply somalis. some ppl are so dumb and ignorant walaahi. the masai and samburu dont look like west africans either, but they also dont look like us. does that mean that they are mixed? hell no! they are what they are as Allah swt intended them to be.

some of you are mentally enslaved. you believe the bullshit of those old ugly white men who divided the complex world into black, white, yellow and red. than what are the indians? yellow? dont think so! what are the arabs? white? dont think so!

you see the world is complicated and there are no races. somalis are in the same boat, its incorrect to say that because somalis dont look like other 'blacks' (whatever the hell that supposed to mean) or 'whites' (ditto), that we must be mixed then?

we are somalis, wich is a ppl part of the hamitic family along with ethiopians, eritreans etc.

the human race have been living on this planet for tens of thousands of years. dont you think that the people of the horn of africa have much deeper roots than medieval arabia and dark africa.

haddad, the sudanese foreign minister on that pic looks more like a reer xamar or barwaani than a mainstream somali.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Sky:

haddad, the sudanese foreign minister on that pic looks more like a reer xamar or barwaani than a mainstream somali.

What about the vice president?

ali_osman_taha.jpg

And what about the Southern leader, Garang, whose people are said to be related to Somalis?

373,http%3A%2F%2Fus.news2.yimg.com%2Fus.