Sign in to follow this  
HALIMA ABDUL

are we african or arab

Haddad   

Originally posted by Sky:

but i think we are cushitic people

Who are the Cushitic people? Where did they originate from? Are the Cushitic people of Negroid descent (at least partially)?

The term Cushite is primarily a linguistic designation, the standard way of referencing people groups, with an ethno-linguistic designation. Languages have a much more stable and traceable identity and heritage than cultural groups. The Cushite peoples are thus those who speak languages of the Cushite cluster in the Afro-Asiatic family. Thus these cultural groups may be of diverse physical/racial types and exhibit a variety of physical cultures.

Gabbal   

Has it ever occured to people that we and our neighboring kins, the Oromos, Ethiopians, and Eritreans, are a race of our own? Neither Arab nor Caucasian nor Negroid, but a Horn-of-Africoid?

Out of anything I believe the majority of Afro-Asiatic speaking Horn of Africans are direct descendents of the ancient Egyptians. Did you know Somali is the closest living modern language to the Ancient Egyptian tongue?

I'm certainly not Arab (short-limped) nor "Black" (who wants to be labeled a color anyways?).

Haddad   

Originally posted by Good-Credit:

for those who think Somalis are Arabs, did you ever think weather they consider you an arab or not?

What does what the first think have to do with what the later consider? For example, Somalis think they are not of Negroid descent, but Westerners consider so. The other thing, there's not such a thing as absoluteness when it comes to what people think or consider. There's at least one Arab who considers Somalis to be non-Arab.

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Has it ever occured to people that we and our neighboring kins, the Oromos, Ethiopians, and Eritreans, are a race of our own? Neither Arab nor Caucasian nor Negroid, but a Horn-of-Africoid?

What about the theory (scientific fact?) of humanity originating from the Negroid race?

Out of anything I believe the majority of Afro-Asiatic speaking Horn of Africans are direct descendents of the ancient Egyptians.

There are some stories about the Abbysinnians originating from Yemen.

nor "Black" (who wants to be labeled a color anyways?)

What about being labeled as Negroid?

sudanes   

the brother who said somalis are considered african by the westerns..that is because the westerns to associate somalis with inferior/slave ans also we are not arabic sppeaking nation only the rich speak arabic who travelled gulf.

secondly i have been watching the situation in darfur in american CNN/FOX NEWS and i have heard them saying the africans up north is bashing the southern africans....i think it gose like, arabs up north are bashing the southern black africans!!.

westerns see the northern sudanes as arabs but somalis as africans,because we like the black history,ie slavery,act like nigg#rs and proud to be black africans,so why expect the westerns to classify you anything other than arabs..ccause we chose to .

and also this bullshit about we are chustic people is nothing but nonsence..when you are in africans continent you either african or arab forget abot am midddle between,kush ,chushtic, every one knows the sudanes and egyptian are descent of kush and ancient egyptians..the proof is go to caro egypt,the egyptians will proudly tell you they descent of ancient egypt and also the go to khartaum they will tell you they are descent of kush people,same go to morocco/libya they will tell you they are from descent of berber but at the end of the day which side do you want to be in ..black african or arab..you do the math.

the irish and the greek dont look the same,but they are westerns ..hence europens.

if tukey joins europeans union she will be europena country but doesnt mean their history would dissappear!

so is somalia a black african or arabs, that is how african continent splits..forget about i am quarter this and that.

Gabbal   

For example, Somalis think they are not of Negroid descent, but Westerners consider so.

I have never met a Westerner that considered me as Negroid. Maybe you live in the Arabian Gulf, but all Westerners that come across me (and I live in the good ole' USA) instantly recognize me as Somali or the next best guess Ehiopian, even though majority of Horn of Africans (Somalis included) mistake me for an Eritrean.

What about the theory (scientific fact?) of humanity originating from the Negroid race?

Never heard of that theory, though I've read plenty of research that suggests humanity originated in the African continent. I don't see how that led you to believe humanity originated from the "Negroid Race". Maybe your problem is you equate African to Negroid and Negroid to African?

There are some stories about the Abbysinnians originating from Yemen.

There are stories that allege a handful of Sabeans immigrated from Yemen to the Ethiopian highlands. They brought the ancient language of Gee-ez (which is the ancestor of modern languages like Amharic and Tigrinya), but those Sabeans were too few in number and basically become lost in the Agaws, Oromos, and Gurages they so heavily inter-married with.

What about being labeled as Negroid?

To be honest I have never been labeled as a "Negroid". Just recently I was traveling with some relatives by car in the American rural country when we stopped for food in the extrememly small town of Moscow, Idaho. Since the restaurant we ate in was located in a small, local mall we decided to stroll around in. The ladies in the make up department fell so in love with the "exotic looking" Ms Word (yes our very own SOL member :D ) they virtually begged her to give her a free make-up. She consented, so waited, and ever second or so the more blunt of the Caucasian folks that were strolling around would come over and talk about how they have never seen a more "beautiful" family and were we sure that we were "black"? Two old ladies even exclaimed loudly how my aged, but still very beautiful mother, fullfilled their every expectation of a regal Egyptian queen. And no, I have not fabricated anything, but if that is coming from small town rural American country folk who probably believe that the ancient Egyptians were white, then what do you think about the more waayo-arag Westerner?

Gabbal   

^^There is more then one person here on SOL that can testify against that, but I was talking about facial features and long-curly hairstyle. :D

Haddad   

I have come across this link. The following is what I found interesting:

Almost all of the many different ethnic groups on the Horn of Africa trace their origins on the male side either:

a. as Hamitic people back to Ham, the second son of Noah or

b. as Semitic people back to Shem, the first son of Noah.

The Somali people are one of several Hamitic ethnic groups in East Africa known as Cushites, descendants of the Kingdom of Cush. Their language is also one of several related languages referred to as Cushitic languages. As Hamites, they probably migrated from the Arabian Peninsula sometime earlier. One can speculate that the Kingdom of Cush was originally founded by Cush, the first son of Ham, who was the second son of Noah. According to the elders of the Beja ethnic group in Ethiopia, another Cushitic ethnic group, they do explicitly claim to be descendents of Cush, the son of Ham, the son of Noah.

So, we can conclude a considerable people on the Horn of Africa are of Hamitic or Semitic origin. We know Ham and Shem were brothers. Finally, we conclude the brothers were based in the Arabian Peninsula.

Pujah   

"are we african or arab" I say why even bother asking such questions....and if you still have the urge the answer is neither. :rolleyes:

Haddad   

Originally posted by Ay Kutubeeey:

I say why even bother asking such questions....

If you're suggesting not to bother with asking such a question, you also have to suggest what kind of question you recommend to be asked.

you also have to suggest what kind of question you recommend to be asked.

NO she doesnt!

She can choose to Not recommend ANY kind of question.

Ever thought of that one?

juba   

the frequent appearance of this topic concerns me. i mean we are obviously black,negroid, african and in the end somalis, ethos and all the like are in that black race. Whos ever seen anyone group somalis in the Arab race? or vice versa? that simple question should settle this "identity crisis".

Haddad   

Originally posted by juba:

Whos ever seen anyone group somalis in the Arab race?

You tried a simple question, but it's not. Reread it, and restate what you meant. Try not to complicate what you want to express.

muunad   

i think that we are plain african, although the fact the east africa with the exception of sudan looks different(hair,features, and so forth) from the rest of africa makes it hard to support.