Sign in to follow this  
HALIMA ABDUL

are we african or arab

Haddad   

Originally posted by Viking:

Did you know that pregnancy is known as
ur-guus
in Orominya?

Interesting. I just googled "Oromo+dictionary", and come across this interesting link. Some similarities:

ilmoo offspring

farda horse

gaala camel

Waaqayyo God

shan five

siree bed

doonii ship

magaalaa town, city

daqiiqaa minute

booru tomorrow

buna coffee

simbirroo bird

dhiiga blood

lafee bone

jilba knee

baadiyyaa rural

arraba tongue

ilkaan tooth

Som@li   

Somalis are ofcourse africans,why would one doubt that :rolleyes: ,Somalia joined the arab league for economic gains in 14,Feb, 1974, this membership has confused some pple, it is just political organisation and has nothing to do with being an arab.

if one learns arabic,automatically makes an Arab,this is impossible, and it is an inferiority complex for trying to look for ways to relate so that others would accept u in their circle.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Farxan:

Somalis are ofcourse africans,why would one doubt that

The doubt concerns whether they're of African (Negroid) descent, not whether they're from the African continent. It's not that others doubt it, it's the very Somalis who deny they're of Negroid descent.

if one learns arabic,automatically makes an Arab,this is impossible

There's a hadith that makes it possible.

ADNAAN   

The only conceivable theory out of all these laughable theories is ngonge's Bangladeshi theory, they even wear macaawis, dirac, the go'a shaalka and least but not last "Dacas" which are all used by somalis. :D

sudanes   

this is my opinion, i am not black as 21st century definition but if you are talking about black because my skin is then i will accept that i am balck and african.

the problem is the arabs define black african as slave and because of that i will never accept black especially in middle east.

most somalis do accept their balckness and africaness but the trith fact is we are not black interms of todays definition and our ancestors were not slaves and you have to remeber that when you as somali say to a white person you are black he or she immediately think of you as bantu ie descent of slave..and for that reason i will not accept the black as my ethnicity..and that is why most african muslims who have same as us are almost arabized especially the muslim one.

nubians in egypt are almost arabized and egyptians do not consider nubians as bantu race or jareer..and most nubians are proud people who will tell you that they are differenr form the egyptians up northern egypt but at the same time not jareer like their ancestors.

if people like nubians who their ancestors once looked like bantu today dont accept to be called black because they have arab blood,why somalis are trying to be black when you hardly see somalis and jareer eating and chatting on the streets..infact i know most somalis look the bantu as different race.

and also i dont know why somalis avoid arabization sice arab isnt a race at all but geneolgy linkage(blood line).

bilan   

i bet somalis are the only people in the world who have identity crisis. somalis are not more arab than pakistani or indian,we do not speak arabic hence we are not arabs,why can not some people be happy what they are. you do not see ethiopians asking these kind of questions even though we exactly look the same.

sudanes   

Originally posted by bilan:

i bet somalis are the only people in the world who have identity crisis. somalis are not more arab than pakistani or indian,we do not speak arabic hence we are not arabs,why can not some people be happy what they are. you do not see ethiopians asking these kind of questions even though we exactly look the same.

sudanes   

i think you loosing the plot bilan when you say "ethiopians dont ask the same question" because ethiopian are completely diffent from,firstit is not muslim country infact they hate the oromas so much that they hate whole islam think

seconly ethiopians have no intrest in in terms islamic culture from the arab world or islamic identity.

why do you think th oromos want 2 be independent, i have met alot oromos who lived in sudan for anly 2 years and when you ask them where they from they tell you we are from sudan because that is how much they hate tht amxaaro state and now you are comparing to somalia we are not even a same page.

modern ethiopia(amxaaro state) has only one thing in comon withn the arab world and that is fighting the nile water with egypt and that is it.

do you see alot ethiopian christains in middle east..the answer no..thiopia is looked at as catholic nation by the outsiders.so itis not about the look.

you wait and see if oromos get their way and become independent which is unlikely, you'll see them talkin about joing the arab world.

that is why the eriterians have problem entering the arab league because of their huge christain population,they would have joined the arab league way before somalia and actually they have more arab blood than somalia but they are not strong predominately muslim nation.

Salma   

Iam afraid 30 or 50 yrs from now some Somalis will lose their identity as Somalis; and will ask one day "Are we Somalis, and if we are Somalis what is the proof?!:-

"I don't look like a Somali,

I don't have a somali name,

I don't speak Somali language,

I don't know where exactly our ancestors used to live in Somalia,

I don't have any proof that Iam somalis, but the only thing I know is that I heard my mom saying that my grand grand grand father was a Somali" :D

The same repeated words : "I heard that .. I was told that .."

How can you guyz proof in the future that you were SOMALIS one Day, if you cannot proof now whether you are originally Arabs or Africans. Unfortunately, its always a matter of HISTORY. Our History was not written and still not written, we are not like the Egptians, Indians or the Chinese who have 7000+ B.C written history & archaeology. I don't care if I discovered that Iam "Arab" or "African" or even "Indian", races don't bother me. We are all humans and from One Father and one Mother. But what I do really care about is "THE PROOF".

Till when we will depend on "My grand mom said ... my father told me once.. and hey I can recite my grand grand father's name".

Its too bad that we don't have any Historical resources related to us. And the only historical resources we have now are "the Fathers and the Grand fathers vrbal words" who are certaily mortal and won't stay forever.

I believe that the only way to prevent what happened in the past (our lost origin) is to write the current history from now.

Haddad   

Originally posted by wind.talker:

I am Somali therefore I am African.

No question about that. But, the $64,000 question is: Are you of Negroid descent?

Salma   

^^^ LOL why $64,000 only, make it $100,000. Maybe that will motivate Mr.Wind Talker to search an answer for the Q.

Sky   

ngongé, i agree. if somalis were a mixture of bantus (kongo-kordofan family) and arab (semitic family), than we wouldnt have the physical traits that we literaly enjoy today. we know of southern indians and malays (some somalis resemble these ppl too) have reached lands as far as the comoros, seychelles and madagascar. so its not impossible that some might have ended up in the horn of africa and mingled with the somalis centuries back. but theres more to it, if that picture was so powerful as u think. than tuaregs in the sahara can be from bangladesh to for the same reasons. so that doesnt really add up.

but i think we are cushitic people, its as simple as that. somalis are closely related to ethiopians, eritreans. more distant cousins are the nilotic ppls; masai, dinka, tutsi etc. scientifically, this is the most probably theory. the arab forefather mythology is totally bogus, i pity those that really believe in that. we arent semitic. we are cushitic.

bilan   

Originally posted by sudanes:

i think you loosing the plot bilan when you say "ethiopians dont ask the same question" because ethiopian are completely diffent from,firstit is not muslim country infact they hate the oromas so much that they hate whole islam think

seconly ethiopians have no intrest in in terms islamic culture from the arab world or islamic identity.

why do you think th oromos want 2 be independent, i have met alot oromos who lived in sudan for anly 2 years and when you ask them where they from they tell you we are from sudan because that is how much they hate tht amxaaro state and now you are comparing to somalia we are not even a same page.

modern ethiopia(amxaaro state) has only one thing in comon withn the arab world and that is fighting the nile water with egypt and that is it.

do you see alot ethiopian christains in middle east..the answer no..thiopia is looked at as catholic nation by the outsiders.so itis not about the look.

you wait and see if oromos get their way and become independent which is unlikely, you'll see them talkin about joing the arab world.

that is why the eriterians have problem entering the arab league because of their huge christain population,they would have joined the arab league way before somalia and actually they have more arab blood than somalia but they are not strong predominately muslim nation.

i do not think i am missing anything, the question itself is degrading, why can not being somali is enough, secondly arab and islam are two different things, you can be arab but not muslim as some egyptians, lebanese, syrians, palestinians etc are. so i still do not get why you are mixing the two. forget about ethiopians how come pakistanis are not claiming to be arabs :D