Haddad   

Originally posted by HALIMA ABDUL:

i was just wondering are somalis arab or african

Definitions:

African

a. A native or inhabitant of Africa.

b. A person of African descent.

Arab

a. A member of a Semitic people inhabiting Arabia, whose language and Islamic religion spread widely throughout the Middle East and northern Africa from the seventh century.

b. A member of an Arabic-speaking people.

Cushitic

A branch of the Afro-Asiatic language family spoken in Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, and northern Kenya and including Beja, Oromo, and Somali.

Somali

a. A member of a Muslim people of Somalia and adjacent parts of Ethiopia, Kenya, and Djibouti.

b. The Cushitic language of the Somali and an official language of Somalia

Conclusion:

a. Somalis are Africans.

b. Somalis who speak Arabic are Arabs.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Haddad:

Conclusion
:

a. Somalis are Africans.

b. Somalis who speak Arabic are Arabs.

How about Somalis who have learned arabic in School, are they arabs too? What about Ethiopians or Kenyans for that matter who speak arabic?

Haddad   

Originally posted by Baashi:

How about Somalis who have learned arabic in School, are they arabs too?

Even Saudis, Kuwaitis (and etc) learn Arabic. Any language is learned; it's not born with.

What about Ethiopians or Kenyans for that matter who speak arabic?

The hadith you know about it says so.

Baashi   

Hang on Haddad...so being Arab is not confined to the ethnic arabs or arab nations but is like an idea just being an American is an idea. Just like the "nuetralized" Americans go through the process of "Americanization" so is being Arab means going througth similar legal and indoctrination processes! "Arabization" if I may call it, if you are Muslim who speaks Arabic then you ara an Arab!!

Did I get it right Haddad. If yes, by logical extention a German who becomes Muslim and learns speaking arabic is also an arab!

Very interesting view.

Haddad   

Hang on Haddad...so being Arab is not confined to the ethnic arabs or arab nations but is like an idea just being an American is an idea. Just like the "nuetralized" Americans go through the process of "Americanization" so is being Arab means going througth similar legal and indoctrination processes! "Arabization" if I may call it, if you are Muslim who speaks Arabic then you ara an Arab!!

Did I get it right Haddad. If yes, by logical extention a German who becomes Muslim and learns speaking arabic is also an arab!

Very interesting view.

You're still clinging to the first definition:

a. A member of a Semitic people inhabiting Arabia, whose language and Islamic religion spread widely throughout the Middle East and northern Africa from the seventh century.

You chose to ignore the second definition:

b. A member of an Arabic-speaking people.

What's more, the German need not become a Muslim to be Arab. Of course, you just need to juggle your memory. The following 2 pictures (hint: Maronite, Druze) could help:

Bashir_Gemayel_01.gif

jumblatt_walid.jpg

Baashi   

Yaa ustaad Haddad u are not helping me here. Perhaps u are one of the newbies and u r unaware of my old age!

The pixs and definition didn't help akhi. Reread my last post and see if u can address it. You see we had a long and bitter argument on the same subject while back here on SOL. Many nomads participated that discussion and shared there take on it. I argued that there is some sort of blood mixing through trade between the two races and since we share geographical proximity my innovative blood fussion theory is probable one, I thought.

You are taking that argument to another level sxb. What I expect from u is not a redherring but simple explanation.

Haddad   

I argued that there is some sort of blood mixing through trade between the two races and since we share geographical proximity my innovative blood fussion theory is probable one, I thought.

I knew you were talking from a fussion point of view. Since many arguments about the subject revolve around that point, I concluded it was useless expanding or heating it up.

Viking   

Baashi,

Somalis are Hamitic people while Arabs (and Jews) are Semitic.

1. Eastern Branch

(a) Ancient and Modern Egyptian (excluding the Arabs).

(b) Nubians, Beja.

© Abyssinians.

(d) Galla, Danakil, Somali.

(e) Masai.

(f) Wahuma or Watusi.

2. Northern Branch

(a) Berbers of the Mediterranean, Atlantic and Sahara.

(b) Tibbu.

© Fula.

(d) Guanches (extinct).

NGONGE   

In the absence of any verifiable historical data, most the replies about whether Somalis are Africans or Arabs become plain speculation and guesswork. Thus, every person that devises a theory on the origins of Somalis does so by the use of selective examples or evidence to prove his/her point.

Haddad above is bringing forward a plausible and persuasive argument in answer to the question posed by the thread originator. Arabic speakers are Arabs (I tend to agree with him but on the condition that these Arabic speakers choose to regard themselves as Arabs).

Soon, another Nomad will come forth with an opposing theory accompanied by more credible evidence proving that Somalis are really Africans and not Arabs (e.g. they’re black, Somalia is situated in Africa, Somalis have some African habits and traits, etc). I’ll probably find myself bowled over and also agree (in part) to this theory too.

Of course, both are nothing but theories. The truth about the origin of Somalis, what people should they belong to (other than being Somalis, for being Somali is not enough it seems), the truth really, is that Somalis are and should belong to the Indian subcontinent! My own research has pinpointed our origins to that part of the world (Bangladesh to be precise). Contrary to what many believe, Somalis with their soft hair, strange complexion and thin frames do not resemble Africans in anyway (nor do they look like Arabs). We look like our Bangladeshi brethren. We dress like our Bangladeshi brethren. We share the same religion as our Bangladeshi brethren. We share the same disasters that our Bangladeshi brethren suffer (drought, flooding, sick cattle, etc). Our link to the Indian subcontinent is so strong even the dreadful Tsunami managed to reach our shores!

Doesn’t this little beauty look like a Somali girl?

workinabrothel.jpg

:D

Baashi   

Let me shock you Viking and say what you have listed above is not a science. I have strong opinion on the blood-fussion theory. I also believe the Oromo connection.

Haddad, come out and say it out loud. The German who learns Arabic in Berlin is an Arab! Is that what you're implying Haddad?

Haddad   

come out and say it out loud.

The German who learns Arabic in Berlin is an Arab, not per se!

Baashi   

Thank you :D

I say he is not an Arab per se'! He is a German in every imaginable way who is fluent in Arabic.

Viking   

Let me shock you Viking and say what you have listed above is not a
science
. I have strong opinion on the blood-fussion theory. I also believe the Oromo connection.

Baashi,

Aren't Somalis Cushitic (one of the Hamitic groups, [descendants of Ham] and Arabs descnendants of Sham)?

Somalis also also are related to Oromos and I read some stuff written about the etymology of our languages. Did you know that pregnancy is known as ur-guus in Orominya? Or maybe I was lied to :D