Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

The Implicity of Racism

ailamos   

hahaha... I think it's you in the LG post and C&H in the secular govt post that'll get me over this Alienhood ;)

You expect a cake too C&H?

Cicero   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

[QB

Errr Acudbika, A God using a man made invention(microphone) to let us know he is god (you brain was not even creative enough to assume if he made the world, he surely will have a way to communicate so that we can all hear) :rolleyes:

[/QB]

God has a throne ('arsh), chair (kursi), pen (qalam), tablet (lawh) and other furniture - all human inventions too. He could add a microphone to the collection.

You see, if the people who wrote the Quran (ancient arabs) knew about modern tools and devices, they would claim that their God has it too. Of course, they would add a very important, albeit amusing, distinction: God's microphone is not like human microphones; God's chair is not like human chairs, as if chairs and microphones are anything but human things.

ailamos   

Glad you brought that up Nor, having lived in the UAE, I would say yes... but the level of political correctness that's present in the West hasn't yet reached the (Middle) East. The lighter skinned South Asian call the darker ones and the Africans ("kaala" or the more derogatory "kaaliya"). The Arabs calls the darker one's "Aswad" which in itself isn't derogatory but you also hear "Abu/Umm Al Aswad"... other use the milder "Asmar" to refer to darker skinned people.

What astonishes me, and Nor you can pitch in since you're there at the moment, is the racism pertaining to professional capabilities. The Arabs there value the input of a Western person than the input of a similarly qualified person of darker skin, whether or not they hold Western passport/education.

I'm sure Peacenow has smelled this conversation and will pop in any moment now ;)

What do people think about racism amongst the Arab "brethren"?

Khayr   

I'm not going to justify myself to anyone as it's between me and God but I feel that you understand where I come from when I start to question matters when I see Muslims start to taqliid and not ijtihad...

Why do modern muslims hate to "follow" authority (more specificially authority that stems form religious tradition) aka Anti-Taqliid and redefine the idea of 'Ijtihad' to that of xuuriya/freedom and individualism i.e. I make my own deciions, I create my destiny and all such notions?

Ibti, sometimes waa la xiishooda, walaal. Modesty is part of one's faith and constant chitter chatter isn't.

Ibtisam   

^^^ yahoo, In any case I thought always wa la xiishooda, I don't know what I said that offended your xiishood radar. :rolleyes: Perhaps next time you can just skip past it. :cool:

In the last two years, the notion of racism no longer exists in my mind. I have cut of all forms of communications with the white race - this is limited to contact on the underground or at reception desks. This is not because I am racist but I have no need to communicate with them in any capacity. I have a reclusive attitude towards the white race. I don't think I have a single white friend come to think of it - unlike two years ago when I had several close white friends.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by *Ibtisam:

^^^ yahoo

LooooooooooL :D:D:D

Haven't heard that for a long time LoooL

Originally posted by ailamos:

Glad you brought that up Nor, having lived in the UAE, I would say yes... but the level of political correctness that's present in the West hasn't yet reached the (Middle) East. The lighter skinned South Asian call the darker ones and the Africans ("kaala" or the more derogatory "kaaliya"). The Arabs calls the darker one's "Aswad" which in itself isn't derogatory but you also hear "Abu/Umm Al Aswad"... other use the milder "Asmar" to refer to darker skinned people.

What astonishes me, and Nor you can pitch in since you're there at the moment, is the racism pertaining to professional capabilities. The Arabs there value the input of a Western person than the input of a similarly qualified person of darker skin, whether or not they hold Western passport/education.

I'm sure Peacenow has smelled this conversation and will pop in any moment now
;)

What do people think about racism amongst the Arab "brethren"?

Can’t say I can relate to the first paragraph as I didn’t grow up here and haven’t heard anything along those lines uttered by the few Arabs that I do know. Arabs (Khaliijis, Masaaris and Shamis) seem to have a level of respect for Somalis. Particularly the older generation.

Also, Arabs won’t grab their purse when they see you board the bus or train (yes we have a new metro system here but don’t tell Peacenow). That’s probably because of the relatively low crime rates and harsh punishments.

Umm, I’m not too sure about your second paragraph either as I haven’t really worked with or for Arabs. However, what I have experienced and still do experience is the western expat professionals who are surprised at one’s half decent grasp of the English language (often better than theirs).

One thing I will say is that westerners have more room to say what they want here. Some of the stuff you hear people discussing and the way they act, you would never hear or see in an office environment in the west. Certainly is an interesting place to live and work when you’ve lived in the west as well.