Sign in to follow this  
Saynab

Somali Youth event on the 24th of September

Saynab   

Salam to all.

I hope you are all doing well.

We are organising a Somali Youth event on the 24th of September inshallah, and I am looking for stand up comedians, fashion show models and volunteers.

This event is extremely important and full of activities...NOT ONLY fashion and comedies! We are expecting around 1,000 people or more, including non-Somalis.

I am particularly keen to get in touch with students from queen Mary university who organised a fashion show and and a riwaaya a while ago. I am also chasing up one of the funniest Somali man I know. His nick name is Ilka Case. Please brother get in touch.

Find programme attached below.

Please contact me via email:

saynabm@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you all very much

Kind regards

Saynab Maxamud

UKSSA

"Somali Youth Forum"

presents

Somali Youth: United Against Terrorism

Friday

5/8/2005

In the aftermath of the 7/7 London bombings and the 21/7 attempted bombings, Somalis in the UK and particularly in London have come under the spot of the media and public debate regarding the reported involvement of a Somali man in the attempted bombings of the 21/7.

Somalis were described in the media as "scroungers" and a burden to society and with "no sense of citizenship". The images painted on a number of national newspapers have not only tarnished the image of the whole community but directly resulted in a rise in the number of hate crimes committed against those living in London and other parts of the country.

It is unfortunate and worrying that a whole community with a mixed background of a long, peaceful and law abiding history in the UK, on the one hand, and new immigrants who have escaped from political persecution, on the other, should have to deal with damaging allegations, verbal and physical abuses.

This pressure faced by the community has been compounded by the lack of leadership and united representation by the community leaders to counter the allegations in the media. Frustrated by both these factors, a group of Somali youth has formed a "Somali Youth Forum" to represent the voice of the youth and encourage more young people to get actively involved in community issues. The forum is organising an event to address the issues faced by the youth in London following the 21/7 incident.

The event aims to create a platform for Somali youth to express their concerns and create a common voice to represent them. This event will cater for all Somalis and non-Somalis but the main target audience is the younger generation of Somalis who are isolated from both the community organisations and the larger British society. The event will dispel the negative stereotypes about Somalis in the UK and will showcase positive images of the role Somalis play as law abiding citizens, tax payers, students, bus drivers, civil servants, professionals, businessmen/women, artists and so forth.

Summary of the event:

Date: Saturday, 24th September 2005

Venue - Gladesmore Community College

Time: 12 noon -11pm

Audience target: Somali youth primarily but is open to everyone

No alcohol served

Number expected: 1000-1500

Free admission

What to expect on the day:

Spoken word by young voices

Music (young Somali bands/rappers -- AAR, Ali DJ, King Khalid, Fadumo Haldhaa, Farax Yare...)

Poetry (11 and 15 year old Somali poets)

Folk dance

Modern dances (Choreographed break dancing)

Fashion show (young Somali designer/stylist)

10-11 year old saxophone players

young stand-up comedians

Exhibition of Somali arts and crafts

Documentaries and short films (produced, directed and filmed by Somalis)

Stalls

Workshops

Face painting, bouncing castle and possibly crèche for children.

If you would like to know more about this event please contact me on the details bellow.

Many Thanks,

Fatuma Abdulahi

Event Manager

Email: xagaayo@yahoo.co.uk

N.O.R.F   

Hello Saynab

Are you going to give time to young speakers (ie Graduates/those with careers/decent and exciting jobs) the chance to actually inspire youngsters who think it hard to be university graduate?

Its all well and good keeping them entertained and putting some daqan (a little) back into them but what will they gain?

I suggest you seriously consider getting some ppl in to speak going to uni, choosing a career ad finding a decent job. That will inspire them more than anything else. If only i was there i would oblige but sure ppl like Sujui, NGONGE, Viking, Jamaal1, Sue will do a very good job!

Saynab   

Thank you my dear for all your suggestions.

I agree with you and will be happy to welcome any of the successful, professional brothers and sisters to come and do workshops to inspire youngsters.

The event is mainly about showcasing young talented artists. We just wanted to give the microphone to young people.

I have always organised events in which successful people came in and talked to youngsters without them being able to participate or speak.

We would like for once, the youngsters to present the event, show their talent to the rest of the community. It is about them expressing themselves and telling us how we can help them.

Please do send more of your suggestions.

Kindly

Saynab

Salaam

Saynab,

Your effort and time you putting in the community is fully apperciated, my point of suggestion is -to encourage, instill, and motivate young people to be successful in school, uni, then be a good citizens and pay their taxes is one thing - the other thing is we need to take part and have our corner in the media, be it national or international, we need young media savvy people who can take part of the national, and international debates,whether it's TV or writing on the national broadsheet newspapers, we are non-existant in that part which implies that we are a voiceless community,we should be part of the public Opinion, not only for damage limitiation, but also that we are here to stay, contribute and part of the whole.

Fi Amaani Allah

Saynab   

Well, walaalo Sharmarkee, I could not agree more!!

That is why, everyone who uses Somalia online, who is articulate and can write and speak for our people should all come out of the net/computer and participate in the real life and not the virtual one.

Brothers, we need to have a voice and use it not only amongst us behind screens, but we should be heard in the open.

I must say thank you for replying and sharing your thoughts. I hope to see you all there on the 24th inshala.

Kind regards

Saynab

JUSTICE   

SALAM CALYKUM

I think it's such a wonderful idea and I am going to be there inshallah.

Can you please provide the adress of the college?

Thanks

Saynab Are you part of the organizing committee, if you are please make sure you provide with how things go with visual aids --- we would love to communicate and see what other nomads around the world are doing thanks ahead.

Saynab   

Salam to all,

Yes, I am part of the group organsising this event and I must tell you it is quite of a task. I am getting the help of a bunch of hardworking and positive Somali men and women.

However, I am so thrilled and excited in anticipation because I know so many of our young talented people will be there that day.

Please look out for the flyers with all the details you need to get there.

Kind regards

Saynab

"Somali Youth Forum"

presents

Somali Youth: United Against Terrorism

Summary of the event:

Date: Saturday, 24th September 2005

Venue - Gladesmore Community College

Time: 12 noon -11pm

Audience target: Somali youth primarily but is open to everyone

No alcohol served

Number expected: 1000-1500

Free admission

What to expect on the day:

Spoken word by young voices

Music - young Somali bands/rappers and R&B singers

Poetry - 11 and 15 year old Somali poets - poems about terrorism and how it affects them.

Folk dance - Somali group

Modern dances - Choreographed break dancing - young Somali-West Indian group called All stars.

Fashion show - young Somali designers/stylists to presents their creative work.

10-11 year old saxophone players

Stand-up comedians

Exhibition of Somali arts and crafts - abstract art by a16 year old Somali girl

Documentaries and short films - produced, directed and filmed by Somalis - Immigration to integration, Two homes, Mothers against gun crime and many more.

Stalls - NHS, Domestic violence, local govs, business - Mary Kay and many others.

Workshops:

Sandra Hirsi - disability and young people

Terry Jervis - the importance of creativity, the media world and how to get involved

AFFORD - programmes for young graduates

Somali Engineering Society

Presentations: The importance of being politically active The media: Stereotypes, negative images/reports about Somalis and Africans in the press, How to challenge it.

Children: Face painting, bouncing castle and possibly crèche

Saynab   

Directions for the venue:

Gladesmore Community School

Crowland Road London N15 6EB

Nearest tube: Seven Sisters

Train: South Tottenham

Bus: 73, 76, 149, 243, 349

Hopefuly the flyers will be put on this website soon. Insha Allah. I will kinly ask the admin team to help me out with that!

I can send the flyers to your email addresses as well, if you wish too.

Just email me: saynabm@yahoo.co.uk

Maca salaama

Saynab