Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Desperate Somalis Turn to Prostitution In Yemen

NinBrown   

Sad story and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

However, i do wonder what proportion of Somali women in Yemen turn to this. This a newspaper article and we know all newspapers run sensational stories.

And just because one asks questions about the article doesn't mean I am not caring or not emotionally moved.

Napoleon   

There is no point in judging these poor women, they've been dealt some bad cards and dealing with it the best they can. No reasonable god can put people in different situation and expect the same results in terms of behavior.

Castro   

Originally posted by Benson and Hedges:

Really terrible.
Why is the NYT writing this horrible stuff about Somali people. Somalis have become a target for the media and people are attacking them as a result.

Which is more terrible? The state Somalis are in or the NY Times writing about the state Somalis are in? I'm guessing you're worried about the latter.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Napoleon:

There is no point in judging these poor women, they've been dealt some bad cards and dealing with it the best they can. No reasonable god can put people in different situation and expect the same results in terms of behavior.

Adeer, no one is judging them. We have long gone past that.

ailamos   

Desperation and the will to survive can force people do things that are against everything they believe in. We were not there, we don't know the circumstances that they are in. Every case is different and we cannot suppose from research a single overarching conclusion. I think they did what they had to do.

I think Peacenow did the right thing in bringing this to our attention, even if we already knew about it... it's a simple wakeup call to those of us who are engrossed in their day-to-day activities and (partially) forgot about the other side of war and conflict in our part of the world.

For those of you like Maaddeey who are ignorant enough to know nothing except downgrade these women (calling it saqajjaannimo) more than they already are, I give you a verse from the Quran:

[24:33] Those who cannot afford to get married shall maintain morality until God provides for them from His grace. Those among your servants who wish to be freed in order to marry, you shall grant them their wish, once you realize that they are honest. And give them from God's money that He has bestowed upon you. You shall not force your girls to commit prostitution, seeking the materials of this world, if they wish to be chaste.If anyone forces them, then God, seeing that they are forced, is Forgiver, Merciful.

So I tell all of you, no one is in a moral capacity to judge them as no one here is in their shoes. So please either say something constructive about this situation or shut the hell up.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Maaddeey:

kuwo la mid ah xagga dhaqaalaha asee aan dhilleysan sow ma jiraan?, saqajjaannimo kalaa jirto mooyee baahi & dhilleysi iskuma xirna!

Qof baahi haysa ma wakhti bu o haya fikradahan aad sheegayso, saaxib? Waxa hor yimadaa on buu qaata. Adigu ma waxaad leedahay dumarkan ogaan bay waxan o sameeyan? Xabaad benefit of the doubt kugoma jirto? Khaf Allah.

Xiin,

Leave Peacenow alone. This is an ok article and he has not insulted anyone on this thread. In fact, there is a clear improvement in his posts. He actually answers back and discusses things now. :D

Maaddeey   

Ngonge, Option kale uma furna miyaa dumarkan?, iyaga & kuwa xeryaha qaxootiga ee Xamar jooga yaa baahan?, mise waxa been ah in Fuxshi & Baahi isku xirneyn?

I can't believe I'm saying this but Peacenow has posted an interesting article for once and has shown compassion. I feel for these women. And I will pray for them IA. May Allah see them out of this darkness and forgive them.

Maadey,

if you cant do anything for them, please stop attacking them. You dont know what it feels like to watch your kids starve to death and feel helpless. As a human being and as a mother, you would do almost anything for them. Thats part of the raxma uu ilaahay galiyey hooyooyinka.