Sign in to follow this  
cynical lady

Obituaries

They’re my favourite part of the paper and at times the first page I visit. Very fascinating if may say so. Any Solers who share my unhealthy fascinations with Obituaries?

Anyhow; ever wondered what yours would say? Or who you would choose to write it? Or would you even have one?

BUKURR   

It does make a little sense to me to put an add for your loved ones, I mean who wants to know, except their circle and by then they all know it.

Well aside from CL going crazy here...

I hate it how obits in Canada are so dry and boring. "Died peacefully", "died", "left us", blablabla. In Romania it's always like "The killer wave wrested our son from us on 9 june 1999...". It's always exciting to read obits in my country.

Juxa   

CL welcome your fellow morbid lady

i used to read the obituary pages of the times every sunday. i loved reading about people and their accomplishments.

i dont know what mine should say. i am thinking about it.

you see good people die young marka go ahead and prepare yours

Ibtisam   

I don't want an obituary. My family and friends would already know what or who I was, what is the use telling a bunch of strangers. It never made any sense to me. And if I am dead what does it matter anyway.

Maybe if I went far far away from family and friends, then just to inform them of my death. All it would say is the date, full name and where I hid the left over money in codes. :D

CL and Juxa, never crossed my mind, I guess I am not expecting to know anyone nor I'm a fan of anyone important enough to care for in the public. I always thought it was for rich people, celebrities with huge followings and people with no families.

P.s. In Islam we are not suppose to chit chit about someone after their death of what they were or been or did. Not sure what the deal is on obituary pages if they dont have the purpose of informing.

Cawaale   

^It is weird but it does exist. I have a friend who reads only this part of the paper and later comes to ask you about the news.

He also keeps an archive of the the obituary pages.

so, no you are not the only one at least not in here. shabeel and Juxa are with you. now you guys can share your favorite parts.

Ibti, actually its good thing to note how good the dead person were. there is hadith and it goes "Talk about the good deeds of your dead and refrain from citing their bad deeds." (Related by at-Tirmithi according to Ibn ‘Omar).

Juxa   

thank you sheikh cawaale. you better leave your mark in this world waliba in a kheyr way.

i dont archive the pages, i just skip thro it

i have had weird facination with death from young age. i have seen enough death around me.

marka waalagu cibaaro qaataa, it awaits us all

dont be shy

Ibtisam   

^^Haa the good in Islamic terms, but saying he went to this university, got this award, made this much money, married this many and had that many. I don't know if that counts as talk about the good. I would've though something like, they built a mosque, adopted orphans, started charity foundation etc. But people dont write things like that?

An Archive of obituary pages? Does it have people he knows in their?

Here here@ that. Ibti now stop bursting our bubble of joy. p,s Yes they do @Ibti

Well hello Juxa & welcome.

P.s My dear I’m nothing but a forward thinker, especially my BIG SEND OFF. I’ve been planning mine/thinking about it since I got hooked on Obs.

Cawaale   

a simple tribute to honor their memory is a good thing.

Ibti, he didn't know any of the dead people. he couldn't even tell wither they were Muslims or Christians. he was confused some obituary read like "he/she left us to our father in the heaven" and he was like man this is sad they lost the father and now the son/daughter.

Cl, when did you get hooked on it?