Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

The Art Of Cooking

Amelia, I am genuinely shocked to hear you have been cooking. And for the whole family no less! Amazing.

I couldn't remember the last time I cooked, so I asked around and it was in the second week of Ramadan in October 2005. Thai curry with coconut rice and fresh fruit-salad, apparently. Funny how they all remember the exact dish and date. :D:D

Well if some og u think cooking for loved ones gives u satisfiction .. there is nothing more satisfying then being cooked a good meal.

right i propose a contest to find the best cook in SOL. all of u who watn to take part please state ur intention now, then i will go around testing these meals and declare a winner at the end of it. only Londenors can take part, i don't wanna travel around unless theAdmin is willing to reimburse my costs.

i know am such a nice person for volunteering as guinea goat someone has do to it ...

underdog   

Where do I begin????

My search skills are lacking but I'm sure "Athena" swore she never set foot in a kitchen to cook anything. Barely out of Uni and the Feminist blindfold is slipping off...

UD, cooking is a basic survival skill one must have (especially an educated one ;) ) to survive and eat healthy. I dont enjoy cooking everyday but I can when I want to.

Now stop taking cheap shots at me and answer my questions.

-Lily-   

Cooking is overrated, it's not as difficult as people make it out to be. It's always beyond me how intelligent, capable humans are unable to cook.

Mowgli   

^^ It still baffles me three yrs on how one of my friends actually managed to burn pasta *with flames and all* on an electric cooker

Dont underestimate the power of those cunto karis challenged folks

WILDCAT   

I enjoy being cooked for equally as much as I enjoy cooking for others... they are both great pleasures... who'da thunk? :D ...if food be the taste of love... eat on, pigs. :D

I think sharing a meal is one of the easiest most effective ways to build camaraderie with another human being...

I would love to have had a go at that meal you made Amelia, it does sound awfully good... *salivates*

Abaadir   

I have to admit, I am one of the cooking challenged folks. Tea is the oly thing I can cook, i spice it up with Qorfe and Hayl. Pasta is alo easy to cook.

Bess.   

There different ways to cook and then there is the Somali way of cooking...which consists of pretty much putting rice, meat, and pasta on a plate no presentation needed…maybe they add a banana or lemon on top. And there is the other way...i am not dissing on the Somali way...its easy, no fuss no muss...but there is no art, or drama to it. i think if u r going to cook, u always need to make it look pretty...even something as simple as a sandwich...add something to it like a olive on the pick to make it more than two pieces of bread with stuff in it...if its salad add tomatoes, green, yellow and red peppers...or even cereal add fruits...for me the presentation shows the consideration and care the food was prepared with...and but lets not forget regardless of how pretty it is...if the food isn't YUMMY its doesn't count how PRETTY it is… ;) ...besides going out is loud and tedious...when i have time...WHICH IS NEVER... i don't want to waste it outside...stay in with yummy food and yummy person.... ;)

SB your constant attention seeking is annoying me. lol. Cooking eh? Lemme see *murmurs surreptitiously something about cooking being for men only and then runs away* icon_razz.gif:D

Cooking has been made easy by corporation through packaged foods – thank god for that, the only thing I can make good is Djboutian street food – one dish at a time I suppose. How do you not get fluffy rice – seems to stick together every time.

^

Use a little oil or butter(this will coat the rice)

Use a shallow dish

Use a 2 to 1 ratio(water:rice)

Add boiling water and salt to coated rice

Stir once- this is crucial, stirring releases starch which makes the rice sticky

Put lid on

Keep heat low

Resist urge to remove lid(releases steam) for about 15 minutes

Et voila.

What's Djboutian street food? Yum.

^^ Thanks for the tip --- I’ll give it a try.

I don’t know what the real name for it (Djboutian street food) is.

First you take sabayat chop it up into pieces, then you take ground beef, onions, green peppers and you cook them together with oil – then you take eggs and you cook them separately, not scrambled, then you chop them up like the sabayat into pieces. Then get fresh lime and black pepper and mayo into a cup and mix’m together. Take banana and cut it into pieces. Now that you’ve got everything – you mix them together in a large frying pan – mix’m the sabayat, the beef mix, the eggs, the banana and the sauce. It will look disgusting in terms of presentation, but the taste is out of this world – enjoy.

Cara.   

^It sounds yummy except for the eggs.

I can cook, and occasionally I enjoy it, but there are a million other things I'd rather be doing. Food tastes so much better when someone else prepares it.