Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Cartoon row editor sent on leave

Jacpher   

The Danish editor who commissioned the Prophet Muhammad cartoons at the centre of a global row has been sent on leave.

Flemming Rose, culture editor of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper, got the order after saying he might print Iranian cartoons of the Holocaust.

The Danish cartoons, seen by many Muslims as insulting to their faith, have sparked worldwide protests.

Earlier this week, an Iranian newspaper said it was holding a contest inviting cartoonists to depict the Holocaust.

Hamshahri said it wanted to test the boundaries of free speech, echoing the reasons Jyllands-Posten and other European papers have given for publishing the caricatures.

Jesus cartoons

Jyllands-Posten editor-in-chief Carsten Juste told a Danish newspaper that the paper's editors told Rose "to take a vacation because no-one can understand the kind of pressure [Rose] has been under".

Juste, who said the paper would not print the Iranian cartoons, did not say how long Rose would be on holiday.

Earlier this week, the editor of the paper's Sunday edition defended a decision three years ago not to publish five unsolicited cartoons of Jesus' resurrection.

"I turned them down because they were not good - their quality was not good," Jens Kaiser said.

He said he should have been honest with the cartoonist, instead of telling him in an e-mail that readers would not enjoy the drawings because they would "provoke an outcry".

'Tasteless stunt'

On Wednesday, Rose said the paper would consider printing the Iranian cartoons, "but we will not make a decision before we have seen the cartoons".

However, Juste said that the newspaper "in no circumstances will publish Holocaust cartoons from an Iranian newspaper", which he called a "tasteless media stunt".

The Jyllands-Posten newspaper, which has expressed regret for offending Muslims by first publishing the cartoons last year, apologised for Rose's latest comments.

"Flemming Rose has expressed regret for his error of judgement that must be ascribed to the fact that... he has experienced inhumanly hard pressure," Juste said.

Rose also apologised for his comments.

"I have committed an error. I am 100% with the newspaper's line and Carsten Juste in this case," he said in an interview on Danish television.

Source: BBC

Sayyid   

I've just 'heard', that the taliban are stocking up 100 kg of 'diamond' or 'gold', to give to anyone who 'kills' the cartoonists who has depicted our prophet peace be upon him.

They are 'dead' serious about the matter, so if you want to go to 'paradise' and leave something for your family and your 'retirement' it's a life-time one off chance to get rich, consider it!

Yes, you'll probable spent some time in prison but atleast they don't have the 'death penalty in Danemark!

Get rich, or die whilst trying getting rich, I say!

NGONGE   

Is it not time to clean up the place and get rid of such riffraff as the poster above? What good do they bring to the site other than nonsense like the rubbish he wrote above?

I’m tempted to rant again but it’s to no avail I bet.

STOIC   

^^^This is absolutely insane! It seems that descency is beyond the grasps of some people.Perhaps the individual wants to stir the pudding in order to gain some heleluyah "oh how great it is in the loving hell of our religion to do that"

Castro   

^ Cut it out. :D

Originally posted by Suldaan Awad:

I've just 'heard', that the taliban are stocking up 100 kg of 'diamond' or 'gold', to give to anyone who 'kills' the cartoonists who has depicted our prophet peace be upon him.

So, one carat of diamond is 0.2 grams. You have 100 kg of diamonds so that's 100,000 grams(or 500,000 carats). At even a paltry $500 per carat, you're looking at $250,000,000. Two hundred and fifty million dollars.

Saaxib, for that kinda money, I'd kill the editor, the cartoonist, the janitor, innocent bystanders, you and your entire family. Do I sound ridiculous? Exactly.

As NGONGE said, cut the nonsense ninyahow. It's not good for you or for us.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Alle-ubaahne:

^^ Oo gaalada hadii lala dagaalo ma decency ayaa laga tagay, mise waxaad decency u taqaaniin waxay iyaga ugu yeeraan xoriyatul-qowlka?

cajiib

Good question

Kashafa   

I think you guys misunderstood the Sayyidka. He's coming at it from a pure commercial perspective, Fiddy's mantra: Get Rich or Die Tryin'.

100 kg of pure gold or diamond. That's a whole lotta faloos, folks. Think about that before you start getting self-righteous and all. That's all I'm sayin' :D

Cara.   

Originally posted by Suldaan Awad:

I don't know. Why are there quotation marks around all the important bits? My grade school English teacher said that they signify skepticism.

'Heard' = Made it up whole-cloth

'Diamond' = Graphite

'Gold' = Pyrite

'Kills' = Scolds severely

Let me know when the real deal is going down.

Originally poster by Bishaaro:

Alert: This thread is on the watch list!

Ka kala carara!

Bal naagtaa badhida daya

Bal bowdyo cadaanta daya

Bal buluq-buluqdeeda daya

Bal bacoolkay sidato daya

:D:D Beer kuwaynin badanaa, bawdyahaaba laqaatay

Baluug   

I don't expect the Jyllens-Posten to publish the holocaust cartoons. Not necessarily because they're "comtrolled by jews", but because they know they're losing business over these cartoons of Nabi Muhammad SCW, now they've lost their Muslim readership, and then they'll go and offend jews and others who view the holocaust as the absolute worst thing that ever happened in the world? Who'll be left that's not offended and will still read their paper? Nazi's, who hate both Muslims and jews anyways, but there's not enough of them to have a sustantial reader base. They'll conclude it would be a "smart business decision" to not publish the holocaust cartoons.