Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Do you Fancy Twins?

Dairy product tie to having twins

New research suggests that a diet high in dairy products can greatly increase a woman's chances of having twins.

A study in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine showed milk drinkers were five times more likely to have twins than women who ate no animal products.

The numbers of twins in the world has increased significantly in the past 30 years, in some countries by over 50%.

Scientists have suggested fertility treatments and women delaying pregnancy can help explain the rise.

But this new research indicates that diet can also play an important part.

Ovaries stimulated

In the study, the twinning rates of women who ate a diet including milk were compared with women who followed a vegan, or no animal products diet.

It is believed that a protein found in the livers of animals may be the cause. Called Insulin-like Growth Factor or IGF, it is found in cow's milk and other animal products.

In women it makes the ovaries more sensitive and increases the number of eggs produced. Higher levels of IGF improve the survival chances of an embryo in the early stages of development.

The effect is likely to be greater in countries such as the United States that allow growth hormones to be fed to cattle.

The researcher behind this study says that women thinking of getting pregnant might consider alternatives to meat and dairy products to reduce their chances of having twins, as multiple births are more prone to complications.

Nephissa   

It's two-cool to have twins. By the way, isn't twinning sometimes hereditary too?

If I could, I'd have twins..instant family, one shot deal.

-Lily-   

Wouldn't that be lovely Bishita? I'm sure it comes at a price though.

I thought it had more to do with hereditary, but I suppose they have to start somewhere.

Johnny B   

^I happen to have a twin sister ,

that means i´m a candidate to have twins right?

Now , all i need is to hish away all those girls looking for shortcuts who wanna go through the hell of delivering just once. :D

ooooooooh mama, am here for the taking ;)

Saalixa   

^^^ although i love twins JB i think You are on the other side of the world.... the costs outweighs the gains :(:(:(

I'am praying though i have some sort of spontaneous bred of those genes coz i have no record in my family where there was any who had twins

Any twin sisters identicle ones in sol??? i would like to know

I used to think it was about prowess of the holy liquid and the craving of the recieving end... hmmm :D

There was this neighbor that had identical twins. So much alike that the mother had to mark one of the two boys by cutting a small piece from one of ears. We used to call him Dhegjar. They talked, walked and yes behaved like one another. You wouldn't tell apart unless you look which one was Dhegjar and which wasn't.

So much alike that the mother had to mark one of the two boys by cutting a small piece from one of ears.

Talk about child abuse! :eek:

I love multiples. I hope to have twins at every birth. Cuteness overload.

^^ I am sure she did it on good heart.

I love multiples. I hope to have twins at every birth. Cuteness overload

You know it will be double everything.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

Wouldn't that be lovely Bishita? I'm sure it comes at a price though.

Yup. Double diapers, double crying, double burping double clothes, double the laundry.. double stroller, double everything. Oh such a wonderful thing! cryingsmileyface.gif

Baluug   

^^ Yeah, it would definitely be tough for the first few years, but once they're in school, it's OK. Then you'll have twice the amount of help around the house. One of them can do the dishes, the other one can clean up the florr and do the vaccuuming, while you just sit there and watch!! :D:D

Som@li   

Twins are great, though there was no history of twins in my famliy, my bro had identical twins last year,I love them, but could never tell apart :(

BTw, interesing theory,More Milk, MOre twins.

I think it would be lovely having twins.But the confusing thing about twins is figuring which one is which,but i think it comes natural for the mothers probably not the fathers.