Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Bird Flu

STOIC   

The ability to read and critique all the information presented to us by the media should be a daily dose for all of us.The temporal aspect of a disease occurance must also be critically examined(if there is a variation in the emerging disease).Even though the media is too dramatic about the recent outbreak of the bird flu , the spread of the virus pose a human health problem.The H5NI virus introduced to human by the birds is of particular concern because of its ability to mutate to a highly pathogenic virus.Once these virus mutate they cause a respiratory problem that are very severe at times they may cause death .Since the most frequent vehicle implicated in this flu is the birds, it will be wise to avoid any meat from the birds(if you live in the affected areas).Remember agents(in this case the birds) remain major causes of morbidity and mortality when such an outbreak occurs.Any health problem should be important to us all!

Haneefah   

Originally posted by Bishaaro:

How worried are you? Is the media hyped fear getting to you?

Not really, whatever Allah (SWT) wills will take place. However, if this particular strain of the Avian flu virus does indeed mutate, as they fear, and there is a human-to-human transmission, then a global pandemic is inevitable(Allahu Manajinaa). It will have a dramatic global impact which is quite worrisome. The western countries are already taking precautionary measures (as they should) and vaccine developments are well under way, however, what I really fear for is the poor developing countries that already inlflicted with countless endemic communicable diseases as it is. Africa just cannnot afford another pandemic!

May Allah protect us.

Foxy   

We are all gonna die! The birds! The birds-flew! Birds FLU! Cough!

Yes, I know, the disease hasn’t been released yet, but that’s not slowing down the PR.

The last time something this catastrophic had this much hype, it was Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. Next we will be told Darth Vadar’s wheeze was a symptom of bird flu.

I am so glad the world health authorities have their priorities screwed on. Heaven forbid they worry about an illness that, say exists. I wonder what is below this on their bird flu list.

I guess the other thing or a person who could strike the right chord for this disease would be Osama Bin Laden. Its been a long time since he released a video, and people certainly react appropriately when he says something bad is about to rain down…..

:D:D:D

cheers

Muhammad   

Imagine a nomad siting in his ardaa sipping some caano geel, and he(she) hears that Duray Digaag is killing people. :D

Ilaahoow Naga Ilaali Durayga Shimbiraha! Amiin

Nephissa   

I already stopped eating chicken. Once had a bad case of Pneumonia, and if that flu hits, i'll be first to go. :rolleyes:

Allahuma najaynaa minal bird flu.

Oocyte   

Bird flu or Avian Influenza virus could cause more catastrophe with its potential to mutate and possibility of human - human transmission that can make pandemic across the world.

Media has been showing quite an interest in it and sometimes seem to cause unnecessary fear in ppl who dont have much of knowledge of health care. I dont know their special interest or reasons of closely following or exaggerations of it but they have done the same with SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome).

raula   

The media is great in channeling info that is intended for public awareness FAST, however what our media fails to acknowledge is the disease paradigm as it mutates to humans. The only aspect in the media that I seem to conceptualize is that there MIGHT BE A PANDEMIC OUBREAK IN ASIA and can be deadly. How to avoid such mutations, what signs to clue for, what products to avoid and any quarantine measures in place in such countries affected is not either discussed or conveyed? (Nonetheless, there is worry over the shortage of TAMI flu vaccine that can be used to treat Avian FLU).

Nevertheless, better be cautious than sorry. So any health alerts are generally good.

Hmmm..I Have nothing much to contribute to this thread except what the Reer Xamar guy said " maceeshaddii aaba dadka leenooso ka waran..berritona bastada aa wax laga sheegaa..suukh see looga soo adeeganaabo!...."

:D:D

Cheers

Cara.   

The scary thing about the bird flu is that it hits healthy people hardest. Used to be the flu was the bane of children, the immunecompromised, and the elderly. But the new virus is so virulent that it causes one's immune system to over-react, posing a particular hazard for people with well-developed immunity to disease.

A disease epi- or pandemic that targets young healthy people is catastrophic everywhere, but the damage it would do to some African countries could be horrendous, seeing as how the workforce is already decimated by AIDS.

On a personal note, I'm not particularly concerned, because I'm a 64 year old diabetic on a pacemaker.

Baluug   

Oh man....I shouldn't have ate that turkey sandwich.....I don't feel so good..... *runs to bathroom* BLEEEECCCCCHHHH!!!!

When it's your time to die, bird flu or no, u're a goner. I was in an area of Asia where I was warned off the eggs- the chicken were sick with Avian flu. I avoided the eggs and didn't give it further thought. I'm sure I'd get paranoid if there were a major outbreak but for now I see no need to worry about it. Those in the know are doing what they can.