Sign in to follow this  
Mafia

Refuge Mentality

Mafia   

I read this article about the Somali Bantu students in New Hampshire today. I thought, you might as well like it. The descriptions they gave about these students are little too detailed, I thought.

Article: NH. Union Leader

LANDER   

The description of their daily activities was likely to highlight the real needs of these particular kids, don't see the harm in it. It could only benefit them by bringing attention to their needs and attracting more help. The average american might not understand this so-called "refugee camp mentality" or why a six year old would be afraid to climb a stair case.

On a seperate note, I've never heard the Maay Maay language being spoken, I wonder what similarities it has with the somali language and other languages in the region.

STOIC   

Lander i think their language is a little different.I remember one time a police officer stopped me on my way home and asked me if i can translate some Somali!. knowing that i wanted to be a good citizen(after breaking the law many times) i accepted to help!.Two "Bantu" family were in a Pistons versus Pacers kind like brawl.I did not understood a word that came out of their home!.I had to apologise to the Cop and withdraw my service!.

Mafia   

I have never come across Maay-speaking somali myself, but i believe it's some similarities with "Maxay". And it isn't a written language, I think?

Lander, I agree with you. These descriptions might draw some attention to them, but despite their need, saying something like the children were walking around with 30 tooth-pastes, I believe isn't that much of a sympathetic language. But anyway, good luck with them.