Sign in to follow this  
QUANTUM LEAP

Why do Somalis like living in dirty little Ghettoes!

This is just an observation I have had over the years visiting areas where Somalis mostly populate in different countries. In the UK its Southall and Wembely which happen to be not so clean and very much populated. In East Africa, they live in places like Kisenyi in Uganda, Eastleigh in Kenya and Tz I cant recall the name for now. I have also heard that in places like the US they live in areas that arent so habitable.

Miriam1   

I dont knw maybe cause most somalis cant afford housing in the "rich" areas, most areas that have govn't housing sooner or later become "ghetto's"

I am sure no one lives in those place of thier own free will, but due to necessity.

RaMpAgE   

saxiib...somalis are new to the areas u mention and to most countries...most somalis came too these countries as rufeges in the last decade where they have lost everything back in somalia.

so living in rich areas isn't a priority.sucess doesn't come over night..maybe 10 years down the track u might see somalis living in rich areas. :cool:

ps. by the australia doesn't have any ghettos icon_razz.gif

shyhem   

Shaqsii

I do agree with what u said.I i have no answer to the question but i can assume Money is what makes the difference,but again assumption is not the best thing i do.

N.O.R.F   

Depends on what city u live in, if yr in over crowded and populace cities then there is more of chance that yr livin 'ghetto fab'!

Brothers and sisters its not about money. I have seen guys that owned afleet of 20-30 trucks and others who have owned many big businesses too. Still they wouldnt want to get out of the dust and the busy little somali markets such as the ones in Nairobi where there are ladies anf men with millions but cant bother to move to posh areas.

I still the blame the Nomadic nature of our heritage and the comfort that originally came with the simple huts that we still see in Somalia. That reminds me of the saying Old habbits die hard....or shall we say in this never die.

Can you guys try to put together cities where somalis live in the different continents ie US, Australia and Europe. Ofcouse any other places too on this earth.

LadyMo   

Somalis tend to wana b housed near fellow nomads I guess dats where part of de problem lays. British ppl usually house Somalis in areas where previously a large proportion of de inhibitants were African-Caribbean because they want to shift de drug business which usually accumulates in those areas and they cant differentiate between Somalians and other Africans or Caribbeans!

Many immigrants get great newly built houses wiv double glazin and all dat. But then when u look at de capital of England which is believed to b ova populated

(which in reality it aint-if only they built their houses wiv a bit of common-sense) Obviously because soo many ppl live there and its an old city

(they hardly neva built on new ideas!-they knock a house down and build a replica or duplicate of the old 1) it will all look like one big ghetto and Somalis are used to livin in crowded surroundings. So in other words to me London is more or less one big ghetto.

There are many Somalis whom dont live in a Ghetto but live in decent areas because they pay their own rent.

So if ur a refugee who wants to come to England dont choose London if u want a good quality of life-call up Northerner and ask him to fix u up wiv a nice n clean spot up north!

Hello ExD...thanks for your response. However, I wouldnt agree with you when you say London is one big Ghetto. Infact the word ghetto means a poverty,broken and washed down area of a city and despite London being crowded and all, its still a great city and has plenty to show for it. As for the Architecture, this is done because the english are very proud of their heritage and have always preserved their history despite what others think or say. Its something to be proud of too as the english history has been well documented and has all the archives stored. Each building tells its own stories and one can touch aplace that was touched by the likes of the Kings and Queens as well as the more memorable characters like the grim ripper. (whitechapel).

Anyway its true if one wants clean air London aint the place to be but then again there are not many jobs available towards the north and the architecture aint not different either.

Ballerz all I can say bro is someones meat is another mans poison ...never liked southall...It drips with far too many crazy faraxs and xalimos man.

N.O.R.F   

London is a huge city and has gr8 architecture in some central areas but the previous planners did not think very much of how to build and where. Thats why many roads are small with alot traffic in comparison to other major cities with bigger road and more space. Plus many buildings in London are graded so its very difficult to knock down and demolish.

Back to the topic of Ghetto livin, the govnt introduced the urban white paper in 2000 which gave the go ahead to £1.1billion to regenerate inner-city neighbourhoods and improve the quality of life for residents. This money is slow in bearing fruit but improvements are more evident in cities out side london. This is mainly due to the fact that re-housing ppl in London to implement the necessary improvemnts in their neighbourhodds, ie re-furbish estates, re-build whole areas is very difficult to achive in the capital. Area in London set for improvement include lambeth, camden, islington and hackney.

So life could be improving soon, whereas up north the evidence is there to see already with huge projects in cities like Sheffield, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Hull.