Sign in to follow this  
Abyan

Autism rate High in Somalis....

acknowledge these children's extraordinary achievements and give them their dues without saying other ethnic groups are better than them.

Do ^^ that first and i'll acknowledge your 2 cents and debate with you.

Aaliyyah   

There's nothing wrong with pointing out those somalis who are succeeding in life, but we can't deny our shortcoming that actually by far exceeds anything we have accomplished this far...

As you can see I have nothing against acknowledging what we have achieved this far. But, can you admit that we have a problem and be ready to solve it? how can you solve anything if you're in denial. subhanalah!

as for the topic of the thread, there are several factors for the high number of somali children in northen hemisphere countries with autims; these range from environment combined with medicinal drugs that are designed for inhabitants of these regions to naturing ways of the somalis, from food to intellectual stimulus.

as for the solutions - one has to understand the problem at hand first and then enact what is the best solution for that particluar person/community.

you must have missed the above lines - when i have ever denied the reality on the ground???

Aaliyyah   

But - I must say the solution does not lie In lambasting our culture and customs and way of life – for I vehemently belief in it being the best among all other in every shape and form Somali children are most underestimated intellectuals of this world

You are denying in the sense that you are not accepting the source of these problems that are somali parents and the way they raise their kids.As you can see somali's way of life this far has produced huge number of somalis who are failing academically and who are even violent. And, if you deny that they are whats causing the fact that somali youth are the heighest drop out rates regardless of whether it's europe or here. How can we solve it??...you have to accept the root of this problem. You can't solve a problem unless you understand what's causing it.

^^^you are commiting the classic mistake of associating customs and culture with people who no longer practise what that culture dictates - is like saying islam is bad because muslims behave bad. tut tut - i thought you were better then that - equating the faulire of the somali diaspora to raise their children properly as they have done centuries back home. yet refuse even to acknowledge the barriers they have to go thru (which they do everyday) to get to where they are today and still struggle on. somalis woes (both in the diaspora and back home) are numbered in months if not in days..do you believe that???

Aaliyyah   

equating the faulire of the somali diaspora to raise their children properly as they have done centuries back home

The way they use to raise children worked well in the context they grew up, in somalia. However, it will not work in the western context. They need to implement a new ways of raising their kids. They are raising their kids in a society that doesn't share the same values. And, if you allow your child to be out there without the proper guildlines what are your expectation as a parent. And, lets not forget most of these parents are raising their kids in the ghetto areas where their kids can be influenced so easily. So if they do not implement new ways to parent, instil in their children the importance of education, making sure their kids are occupied 24/7 with school work, after school programs, and making sure they know who their kids are friends with. As the saying goes " tell me your friend i'll tell you who u're" so if ur child hangs out with a drop out child with no manners/values what does that say about your own...and so many other things that we can do to make sure our kids grow up right knowing their values. I'm sorry bt somali parents seem as they don't know that they are raising their kids in totally diffeernt environment with different values. They need to alter their parenting methods if they want see change in their own kids.

my 2 cents

salaam..

^^your parenst must have down well!! - i am being presumptuous (that you are young and was raised in the west) - in which case i would like to belief that they were guided by the light of Allah thru the somalis culture and custom, which is on the whole Islamic - am i correct?? or am me orect! :D

Aaliyyah   

^^Alhamdulilaah am blessed with good god fearing parents. inshallah I hope to follow their footsteps one day if allah blesses me w/ kids.

There's nothing wrong with the somali culture, but the ways somali parents raise their kids has to change.

wa salaamu alaikum

Muriidi   

what about fear of autism,are they afraid these kids might take over the world?

imagine a bunch of highly talented highly specialized men and women living peacefully together.

why are you afraid of them?

who are you working for?

what do you care about the future of the planet ..you with your average 60 years?

children learn at an early age what they are rewarded for and what they are punished for.

maybe that's the key.

i also think that paying attention to them and respecting their free will as God intended can bring good results.medicine might help but it can also give the illusion of healing.......

these kids have autism and they are sick. they are not ****** or something and they are not ignorant for some ****** reason like their parents didnt care enough to raise them just cuz there somalis.

somalis are oppressed everywhere in the world even in somalia where the foreigners have stolen everything from people in huts to give to people in castles. things are just now changing so that somalis can take back some of what was stolen from them and its not fair to compare their education to the chinese or other places where they have books and pencils and food.

guledm   

From what I know autism is generally caused 'faulty' genetics and in the rare cases it is induced it is by mutation also at the genetic level. Apparently no one is sure what causes the mutations, but there are plenty of chemicals out there so it will take a while. Also the cause of autism is not as simple as one gene on one chromasome or two recessive/dominant genes from both parents, it is thought that it might be a combination of genes that cause it.

guledm   

Lol I am new here and accidently posted without finishing:/ Anyway on the cousin marriage thing, since autism is most likely heriditary it stands to reason marrying someone closely related to you would increase the chances of your children being autistic IF your family has a history of autism. Which is frankly hard to determine as most somali's are loathe to admit let alone treat their children for some illness with out the standard symptoms..e.g cough, fever....severed limb:P