Sign in to follow this  
Abyan

Autism rate High in Somalis....

Abyan   

Why Is Autism Rate So High For Somalis In Minneappolis?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xUf4L6UQhbk

Apparentely autism is on the rise in somali communities not only in minneappolis.

It is time we raise this issue.

Autism signs and symptoms

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mc1H0aVqn20

Red Flags that Parents Should Note:

* does not respond to his/her name.

* cannot explain what he/she wants.

* language skills are slow to develop or speech is delayed.

* doesn't follow directions.

* at times, seems to be deaf.

* doesn't point or wave "bye-bye."

* used to say a few words or babble, but now doesn't.

* throws intense or violent tantrums.

* has odd movement patterns.

* is overly active, uncooperative, or resistant.

* doesn't know how to play with toys.

* doesn't smile when smiled at.

* has poor eye contact.

* gets "stuck" doing the same things over and over and can't move on to other things.

* seems to prefer to play alone.

* gets things for him/herself only.

* is very independent for his/her age.

* does things "early" compared to other children.

* seems to be in his/her "own world."

* seems to tune people out.

* is not interested in other children.

* walks on his/her toes.

* shows unusual attachments to toys, objects, or schedules

(i.e., always holding a string or having to put socks on before pants).

* spends a lot of time lining things up or putting things in a certain order.

Finally, what parents of children within the autism spectrum long have known .

A link between mercury in childhood vaccines and an increase in autism.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/22/eveningnews/main625458.shtml

Oz   

Originally posted by NinBrown:

I am not sure about all this stuff. Is autisim high in Somalia.

From speaking to the older generation, no.

Although I don't live in largely Somali populated cities, I have been thinking about this subject early this year...Because I know two people who have children (boys) with autism and that just seemed alarming to me and here is an actual observation made in large population showing the high prevalence of the autism in it's Somali members...There definitely is a need for more research on the topic because it is touching our lives in large ways, raising a child with autism, specially the severe type is not a walk in a park and we should know what is causing it.

Maybe the decades of cousin marriages are starting to catch up to somali's. http://www.herald.ie/lifestyle/health-beauty/married-cousins-help-work-on-autism-1431337.html

"When a mother and father share a recent ancestor, the chances of offspring being affected by autism almost doubles."

So hands off the cousins if you wanna improve your chances of not having autistic kids.

^^^ :D:D:D

You know thats one thing I never did understand... Why on earth, with ALL the women in the world, would anyone want to marry his cousin? That's bloody disgusting. I don't know about y'all, but marrying a cousin, to me atleast, is like marrying your sister and thats sickening.

This "cousins make dozens" idiocy should be opposed!

dhulQarnayn :cool:

Republic Of California

Malika   

I am not an expert on child development but there might be a link on how we raise our children in effect to their development. We naturally think of height and weight,but from birth to 5 yrears,children should reach milestones in how he/she plays,learns,speaks and acts.To achieve this a parent is required to engage the child in various activities and a learning process so the child is able to reach his/her potential as early as possible.

A delay in any of these areas could be a sign of a developmental problem, even autism.

So how many Somali parents have you seen,playing or engaging in a learning activity with their young children?

Well its not all gloom and doom,the earlier it’s recognized,the more chances to help the child reach his/her potential by interventions to bring their development to speed.

Perhaps,raising this issue in the community and help set up parenting skill classess??

Aaliyyah   

^ you are definitely right. There was actually a study done that found chinese parents put huge emphasis on acadamic achievement from a very young age. So basically, being smart has a little to do with genes and more w/ the environment the child was raised. Somali parents do need to spend a great deal of time with their kids and actually try to enhance and stimulate their childrens' intellectual abilities from a young age. Rather then thinking that child is too young, and before you know it the child is behind academically or what not. So you are absolutely right, theres need for parenting classes where somali parents are concerned. But who will convince a somali parent to take parenting classes ... they would be like you said what? are you questioning my ability to parent :D

dhul, theres nothing wrong with cousins getting married. So, stop acting you're all westernized. Even though I would suggest not to given that if there's ever a problem you're dividing your own family. Where if he was totally someone not related your family would always be on your side. But, we should know that marrying your cousin is religiously alright and nothing wrong with it and we shouldn't talk of it in ill tone.

wa salaam

I was reading the news today and they had an article on states trying to include autism in insurance coverage...There is only 6 states in the past two years that offer some coverage for those cases where the cost can reach $50,000...I mean think of it, if your child is diagnosed with autism, you probably are looking at behavioral therapy somewhere along the way and depending on the state you are in you can pay between 1,000 to 3000 per child per week...So autism have economically effects on the family overall.

I think people who are planned on getting married or planning on having children should at least take couple of parenting courses, to give them an idea of what to expect or look for...Not every child develops at the same rate, so a parent should always be communicating with their pediatrician, so that when there is a problem they can address it quickly and efficiently...Behavioral problems do not always translate into academic problems or development issues so we should engage the children and as I said always seek the advice of someone knowledgeable in the field.

Chinese educational system basically stress memorization, just like dugsi, and for some students that is fine for other students not so much...I think engaging a child's nature intelligence can be done in a variety of ways instead of standardize system...You can teach your children while at the grocery stores, you can teach them while walking in a part, you can educate through books...Personally I like diverse teaching styles being available to students.

bee bye SS

Paragon   

Studies on this issue have been going on in Denmark, UK and the USA for sometime now. Researchers have thus far come up with even absurd explanations that link Autism to 'lack of sun'. But the reality is, many parents wouldn't even allow their kids to be diagnosed with this syndrome. They would rather have their children languish than apparently to be known as a family as having 'n.acas' kids. And that fear is entirely unwarranted. The stigma attached to b Autism makes the under performance of kids even more acute.

Malika   

SS

Indeed,a diverse approach in teaching style to cater for the different learning styles of the learner is something that is seen as of great importance in Education.But it is not necessary implemented by teachers as it requires extensive planning.Most teachers find it daunting task to differentiate for various needs within a class of 30 pupil.

If you look at research done in US and UK,you will see how the Chinese and Indian pupils excel,more then their counter parts. As for the Indian and Chinese parental involvement in the education of their children is very important. Expectation to sucessed is high too, hence the parents and children viewing Education as highly important and do their utter best to obtain that sucess.

Malika,

I do agree with you that is daunting to a teacher to adapt their teaching styles to each individual students, but if there are observing students who are smart but not doing well academically, maybe they should consider teaching that student in a different manner after class or something...I am a visual learner if I was in memorizing teaching style I don't know how successful I would have been.

You are right India and China pupils are excelling when it comes to science and math subjects in comparison to USA...The parents are stressing it but I think the children are realizing that for them to succeed in the world is to be educated well, that is the drive from within, which is the success of the children...In the documentary I mentioned earlier, most of the students coming from poor family had to be separated from their families from early age, only saw them on special holidays so the sacrifice is more realized by the student and pushes them to excel...But also you would notice in countries like China, India, Korea there is a high number of suicide related to academia...I went to school in Egypt and I can tell you the stress students felt when they had the final grade of their high school determine what college they can get in and how one could have repeated a whole year for failing one subject :(:(

Very sad state of affairs for the somali diaspora almost as much as it is for the somali people in the Horn of africa. i am well aware of the disparaty between the health care services (before any of you jum down my throat for the comparison)nevertheless i am more saddened by the fact that people in here are rumbling about other ethnic groups being better than our children, whilst some even insinuate our religious and cultural practise for our downward spiral.

as for the topic of the thread, there are several factors for the high number of somali children in northen hemisphere countries; these range from environment combined with medicinal drugs that are designed for inhabitants of these regions to naturing ways of the somalis, from food to intellectual stimulus.

as for the solutions - one has to understand the problem at hand first and then enact what is the best solution for that particluar person/community.

But - I must say the solution does not lie In lambasting our culture and customs and way of life – for I vehemently belief in it being the best among all other in every shape and form Somali children are most underestimated intellectuals of this world - how can you par with a children who have amonst them, multilinguals, qur'an xaffiis, gifted & talented and most resilient children ever to walk on the face of this earth. and yet are being moved around the world without any consultation or regard for their feelings, witnessed horrors that would break a grown man breakdown.

please what ever you do - acknowledge these children's extraordinary achievements and give them their dues without saying other ethnic groups are better than them.

Aaliyyah   

for I vehemently belief in it being the best among all other in every shape and form

You are suffering from ethnocentrism. You can't seem to accept where our community is going wrong. How can we even then try to solve the problems our community are facing, if the members of the community will not accept the problems they have. We can't be in denial. Everyone knows statistically speaking that somali youth are failing academically. For instance, in toronto somalis make the highest high school drop out rate....now what does that say about somalis??....Certainly without a question something is wrong with the way these parents are raising their kids. Perhaps, you can say yeh they are going through transitional period, they dnt know how to parent kids within this western context? bt how long will that be an excuse? it's been about 20 years? will it take another 20 years? and if so what does it say about our generation ?? in 20 years all these drop out kids how will they affect our community?...think about it before you act like oh we are so smart we dnt need to change our ways. There's nothing wrong with pointing out those somalis who are succeeding in life, but we can't deny our shortcoming that actually by far exceeds anything we have accomplished this far...

my 2 cents

salaam