Sign in to follow this  
hassouna

Do u classify urself as an Arab or an African citizen?

hassouna   

Hello every body

questionnaire :Do u classify urself as an Arab or an African citizen? go to www.hassouna.i8.com"page:question de la semaine" to share ur opinion with people from different Afro-Arab states :Morocco,Algeria ,Tunisia ,Sudan and Egypt ,dont forget to send me ur reply via e-mail!

good luck

Rahima   

Somali citizen (hence African). My passport says Australian, but personally i don't feel "Australian", so Somali it definitely is.

At the end of the day though, you can never truly be considered an "American" or "Australian" or "British†until you are third generation-and this is by definition not public outlook (which is far harsher).

Bottom line, be proud of your Somali status.

J.Lee   

Citizen

1. A person owing loyalty to and entitled by birth or naturalization to the protection of a state or nation.

2. A resident of a city or town, especially one entitled to vote and enjoy other privileges there.

Rahima   

^True that, but the way i see it, just because one carries an Australian Passport or American, does not mean you are truly an Australian or an American-you are still an outsider, so why identify yourself with a label that many of the other holders do not truly acknowledge you as!

You can be a citizen of say America, but until you have crossed the threshold of third generation you shall remain as a Somali-American, and this mind you is by definition. By public outlook so long as you carry those features, you’re Somali even after five or six generations.

I'm sure that many of us are still asked till this day where we come from, and I’m sure they're not referring to Heidelberg or Braybrook, they're referring to country of origin and the fact that you've been here almost all your life or were born here matters not, the fact that you hold a citizenship matters not, and the fact that you have a through and through Australian accent matters not, coz you carry those distinguishable features.

Haddad   

Originally posted by hassouna:

Do u classify urself as an Arab or an African citizen?

The question is confusing. There's not a country named Arabia or Africa. I think what the author is trying to ask is: Do u classify urself as an Arab or an African ethnic? In that case, the question has been asked and answered many times in this forum.

Am Muslim first then

2= Somali

3= Swedish cause born and breed in Sweden + the passport plays a role :D:D

4= Arab cause I feel somalis got more resemblence to the arabs like religion, music and culture.

5= African cause Somalia is situated in Africa :confused: :confused:

Changed   

I am African to the fullest hands down babe...so what do you consider your self to be? Lady from Sudan?

= Somali

3= Swedish cause born and breed in Sweden + the passport plays a role

4= Arab cause I feel somalis got more resemblence to the arabs like religion, music and culture.

5= African cause Somalia is situated in Africa

We dont look like Arabs, we might have the same religion but music and culture dude we differ

BN   

I cannot fathom the number of times I've come across this question. To call it redundant would be a compliment.

Castro   

Originally posted by BN:

I cannot fathom the number of times I've come across this question. To call it redundant would be a compliment.

:D:D

hassouna   

Originally posted by Politically-Inclined:

I am African to the fullest hands down babe...so what do you consider your self to be? Lady from Sudan?

quote:

= Somali

3= Swedish cause born and breed in Sweden + the passport plays a role

5= African cause Somalia is situated in Africa

We dont look like Arabs, we might have the same religion but music and culture dude we differ
hi mr political inclined Im male not female my real name is Hatim ,while hassouna is my neckname which is derieved from the name "Hassan" hav;nt u ever heard about it?

Source   

ha! Rahima i get that question all the time. Where are u from, I usualy say the suburb eg. bundoora rather than country itself, even though i know what they actualy mean, this confuses them a bit. Its funny how ppl ask silly questions, after all we are all migrants of some sort.

First, I consider myself, muslim - Somali/african than australian. I dont know where u guys get the Arab part from.. icon_razz.gif