Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Somalis and Identity issues

Modesty   

Hi, I'm back after some break from the "net". But, I have noticed that somalis have major identity issues. Alot of the somali girls I know act like they are arabs. It's quite annoying. Arabs view somalis as being inferior, yet I see so many of them kissing fuuto. This arab girl said, I'm glad somalis and us wear our hijabs differently, because alot of people confuse us. LOL. Why must we wear their attire to be "good muslims"? Some somali people are so unaware of racism it's funny. I personally don;t like arabs, especially the ones I come into contact with. I'm sure there are nice ones out there, but I rather be friends with a regular white person. I think they have serious superiority complex. Why are we losing our africaness to be closer to arabs who hate africans. I think all africans are brainwashed to the max (except Me).

Janna   

Modesty,

Love your topics. I am glad I am not the first to have realised how low some Somali girls have gone. Not only have they traded their beautiful culture for the likes of Indians, they sing and imitate Arabs. With the likes of Guntiino and Dirac around why the Sari? Some Somali girls located in Australia actually clean the bottoms of Eritrea’s. Embrace the true beauty of the Somali culture. I consider those girls "outcasts" for wanting to assimilate with non-Somalis and adapting their culture.

Aaliyyah   

Modesty there is no need to generalize sis. perhaps u came in contact with few arab sisters, which u didnt have a good experience with. But, there is many arab sisters who are masha-allah, as i have many arab friends which are close friends of mine. Anyways, bottom line is what does this arab sista meant by wearing hijaab differently than somalis??? how do arabs and somalis differ in terms of their hijaab? i am not here to say that all arab girls are nice, but just that u should refrain from generalizing. as there is many somali sisters who are arrogant whom i cant picture being their friend .Basically cant stand dem!!!does that mean all somali sisters are arrogant?? self centered??? superiod ?? guess not since i happen to be a somali sista myself.

wa salaam

wa salaaam

Cara.   

Originally posted by Modesty:

Arabs view somalis as being inferior...I think all africans are brainwashed to the max (except Me).

Hmmm?

Modesty, I love most of your threads, your refreshing and real but you have some deep rooted problems with arab people that could only be resolved with years and years of therapy. Honestly - the sad irony is that you don't see yourself 'a.ss kissing' the gaalo by wearing the their western clothes - which I'm 100% sure you do.

People who only pick on one race for their hate always amaze me - the same problems can be found amongst somalis and hundreds of other people. Why do you specifically choose the arabs?

Chimera   

bla bla bla ra ra ra raaaaaaaaa

somali women represent to the fullest

just visit all them islamic forums and you will hear the many stories of somali women and men putting some life in the muslim communities around the world

wether it's somali women rocking the hijaab or niqaab or somali men leading prayers

i don't need to see my sisters on the streets walking uncovered with see-trough diracs

if that's somali culture let it stay at home

i think some people here just want a excuse to justify there animosity and hate towards a group of people

well your on your own

i've seen how they respect me and my people in real life so respect is what i will return

arabs aint killing our people like dogs in arab countries like they are being killed in African countries

the dutch today look down on the germans

still that's better than german people getting butchered and their shops vandalised in dutch communities

Ibtisam   

Modesty:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don't think you grasp the seriousness of you accusations.

"Africans are brainwashed to the max"

Really, how odd, most Africans I come across are not, and nor I'm. Also you spoke about "Somalis" who do not speak for the whole of Africa. Further more, historically civilization started in Africa, if you understood the roots of African history, you would not hold such racist views your self. I suggest you read "Roots of Black History" by Robin Walker. Anyone who argues that Somalis are descendents of Arabs should also read that book (you will have the shock of your life :D )

Janna:

Having recently read a thread, in which you argue that Light skin girls are better looking than dark skin girls, hence why many dark skin girls use Diana, I find your comments above hypocritical!

Originally posted by Femme:

Modesty, I love most of your threads, your refreshing and real but you have some deep rooted problems with arab people that could only be resolved with years and years of therapy. Honestly - the sad irony is that you don't see yourself 'a.ss kissing' the gaalo by wearing the their western clothes - which I'm 100% sure you do.

People who only pick on one race for their hate always amaze me - the same problems can be found amongst somalis and hundreds of other people. Why do you specifically choose the arabs?

Some quotes are near perfection

Kacabso smile.gif

Modesty....Iam confused dear. Firstly, I remember you and that kid Pure-Blood so insistent on being of Arab descent. Xaa dhace...lol

Secondly, cut the Somalis some slack.What do you exactly want from them? These people led harsh nomadic life followed by 100 yrs of colonialism which was ended by the ensuing indepedence that brought some rest and peace only to destroyed under the 21 yrs of dictatorship succeeded by a horrifying civil war that mounted to nihilistic fratricide, sending ill-prapared thousands abroad that were lucky enough just to be alive, and still faced many challenges in alien world. And through it all, they were resilient. They have endured and survived. I say hats off to them.

So please you have nothing to contribute to the betterment of your people, the least you could do is spare them the insults and respect their chioces.

N about the racism thing, nothing unique to Arabs. No amount of religious and secular enlightment will eridicate hate in the human heart. Millions years from now, people will still be the same, but one could aviod the pitfalls of racism by being proactive. Now you are just reacting to what somebody said. The funny thing is that it is bothering you more than it bother her. What you should have done was to stop her in her tracks by showing her the hate she was spewing. Iam sure that would save us the time we took to reply to this thread, and it would have stopped you from picking on poor Somali girls, and by the Grace of God, you could even help this Arab in realising her faults.

Salaam Jee

P.S n don't be fooled by labels Africanes, Arabness, Somaliness, Just look out for number one.

Our only issue is that we are quick to adapt...I think that makes us very flexible...good thing bad thing I don't know...but I fully embrace it and use it to my advantage, throw routine out the window and wlc versatility

Khalaf   

Originally posted by ibtisam:

Modesty:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I don't think you grasp the seriousness of you accusations.
quote:

"Africans are brainwashed to the max"

Really, how odd, most Africans I come across are not, and nor I'm. Also you spoke about "Somalis" who do not speak for the whole of Africa. Further more, historically civilization started in Africa, if you understood the roots of African history, you would not hold such racist views your self. I suggest you read "Roots of Black History" by Robin Walker. Anyone who argues that Somalis are descendents of Arabs should also read that book (you will have the shock of your life
:D
)

Janna:

Having recently read a thread, in which you argue that Light skin girls are better looking than dark skin girls, hence why many dark skin girls use Diana, I find your comments above hypocritical!
Not only Africans, but world over is brainwashed, light skin better looking is an example. My arab friends were saying how Syrian girls are most beautiful since they are lighter then saudi girls...same with us to...dark skin girls are ummm :D (is about character walaa i know)...but light skin girls are more attractive.

Also we never did learn about african history in school, only during black history month it was same ol ppl MLK, Parks, ect. We didnt know what african civilization gave to the world....and to be honest I and most of us felt yeah we proud to be "african" but dont know what we were proud of? :confused: What did africa give to world civilization....why have the africans been the only race despised, enslaved, and considered inferior by most of mankind?

Janna   

Originally posted by ibtisam: The Loner

Janna:

Nothing hypocritical about my comment. Bleaching the skin and loving the Somali culture are two different topics that cannot be linked. Sometimes I wonder if you have a clear understanding of the word. Instead of concentrating on my comments so much, stop promoting prostitution. Hence: your profile picture.