Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Why does Hollywood have a problem with all Asian casts?

Chimera   

I was schocked when i read that Hollywood studios were raping Avatar (a great epic Asian themed 'anime/cartoon') by casting non-Asians in the lead roles. Seriously Avatar is an Asian 'Lord of the Rings' and it won't work without a predominant asian cast

But read this:

http://derekkirkkim.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-day-i n-politics-same-old-racist.html

Same with Dragonball Z, the lead character 'Goku' is like the 'Superman of Japan' matter fact some claim he is the Japanese answer to America's superman but Hollywood raped the anime and now he will be played by a white actor in the coming movie

The craziest and most awesome movie of All time: 'Old Boy' is going to be 're-made' and the leading actor is going to be Will Smith -- WTH??? Why not just buy the distribution rights and screen the original in US theaters?

same with Infernal Affairs which became --> Departed(though atleast they made it their own by changing the Asian theme and making it Irish American)

Something really wrong in the head of these studio owners because Asian produced movies with all Asian casts like 'Hero' and 'House of flying Daggers' were box office hits in the West(matter fact they grossed more than European films) so clearly Americans have a clear healthy appetite for originality

'rant over'.

I don't have a problem with who they get to play the characters as long as the script is good for anime remakes, because let's be real, an american audience is not gonna feel comfortable with all asian cast. The dragon ball movies looks garbage, the latest street fighter movies was also garbage.

Also..I can't believe they casted non somalis in the Black Hawk Down, would you believe it? :D

On a serious note, it annoys me, it takes the originality from the movie. How can you believe a suburban white dude can do the shadowless sidekicks? no F'ing way!

Cheers

Chimera   

^ Sir Q.A that's a disservice to today's America

example:

crouchingtigerhiddendrazi2.jpg

Made on a mere US$15 million budget, with dialogue in Mandarin, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon became a surprise international success. After its US premier at the Hawaii International Film Festival, it grossed US$128 million in the United States alone,[1] becoming the highest-grossing foreign-language film in American history. It has won over 40 awards.

Chimera   

Legend of Zu Lol they don't even cast us in negative roles let alone postive ones :D it just goes to show you that for unknown Somali artists like me who are developing epic stories/adventures based on Somalia, the chance of our work ever becoming something like LOTR or Star Wars is just a dream, but Somali audiences would do just fine for me.

I think those anime artists should stop selling their work to Hollywood unless they sign contracts similar to the ones they had to sign when they bought Harry potter(J.K R. said 'all British cast' only)