Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Liquid_Ice

Can we be “Just Friends”?

Hello Nomads!

New Nomad on the block! On the best Somali forum. I loved how you converse here. Here is a question to you guys:

Can a man and a women become “just friends” with no strings attached? If a guy says to you “ I like to keep your frienship” would you be offended?

I am very curious to know from our own prespective.

Peace!

sMiLeY   

well..... a man and a woman can be friends if there is no attraction to start with..... meaning if they didn't like each other and then decided to be friends....that doesn't work most of the time ....EX when two break up, they try to stay friends... i think that doesn't work....

To answer your question about getting offended if a man says let's be friends......nope i wouldn't be offended ( i like guy friends).... anyways that's all i got to say ....ta ta smile.gif

Shiish   

I do have just "female friends" with no string attached but our freindship is different than male friendship..I hope you all understand it..

-------------------------------------------

i jiid ama aan ku jiido

Thanks Legend of Zu, Smiley, Shiis and Maandeq for your input and wlc ...

I see two problems with having a friend from the opposite sex. (1) Your intentions being misread into rejection, specially when you first meet, and regardless of your reasons (could be dating is not that high in your priorities) they might give the wrong signal (2)You will never know how your partner might feel about it which could ruin the relationship you already have.

Smiley ... some of my friends are so attractive I wonder why I never make a move. But then again I may not be that attractive to them. And that is very offensive to me!

:mad:

Peace

well MLI nice topic, i think actually it was similar to my first topic posted here when i joined about 5 months ago. yes i believe that there can be just simple friendship between men and women but in somali society that is bit difficult if not impossible not due to other ppl but due to what young generation somali consider friendship between opposite sex to mean. through out the last 4 yrs i have tried to have friendship with somali guyz, and of as today i have only succeded in having 4 friends. i think what i believe to have been the problem with others was that as soon as one liked my attitude or my personality they think why not just date her or something rather than just focusing on the friendship. As to my friendship with males i tried to have it be equal as to my female friendship because it all depends on how comfortable i feel around those ppl not what gender they are. One last thing, i believe that the root of all relationship is friendship, but not every frienship meant to be anything more than friendship.

i guess that's my 1 1/2 cents on this topic.

Blessed   

Most of my friends are guys. I used to be a tom-boy as a kid, so I find it hard to understamd girls, though this is beginning to change.

I think it's possible and guy friends can proof somewhat handy at times.

Good point Scorpion! The ladies I call friends are those I feel most confortable with; we share some laughs, a bite and can call each other anytime. I am beginning to believe that dispite the popular notion of ‘let’s be friends’ very few of us are capable of having friends from the opposite sex … only those who have a good grip on their hormones.

Ameenah; Tom-boy is just one of the guys. I guess we can relate to you most because you play less games than other girls.

Cheers

icon_razz.gif I think members of the opposite sex can be "just" friends for limited period of time before the magnet attract each other. With due all respect for all human species, everybody has his/her own weaknesses, and if everyone would have been perfect then we would not have any troubles whatsoever.

Those weaknesses are fortified by the "devil" with strong force and 99.999999999999 percent of the people would fall in his traps. And If you prove me wrong I'm not a human.

Look before you leap!!!!
smile.gif

Peace

Love

&

Harmony

i got a question for pretty boy, do u find urself attracted to every single female u have be friended because that's what i got from ur last comment? i think that all of us have standard of what the person we meant for or spend the rest of our lives with should be like and not every women or men can exzibit those traits therefore not everyone is meant for us romantically.

i always see somali ppl saying that they love so and so even if they met them just then and they don't know them yet so "what the hell they like about that person?" i could understand sexual attractions, infatuation, liking someone, but always somali folks use love for emotional express, and i think that this behavioral attitude rubs on their friendship therefore created obsticals that really don't need to be there, because one can not be attracted to all of their opposite friends, it is not just possible.

hey ameenah i know what u mean, but the older we tom-boys get the harder it is to mix with the fellas cause they always comparing u to other girls.

oh look at the time, well anyways that's my 1 1/2 cents on this topic.

Lefty   

female and male can't be just friends unless they don't really attract each other. I believe ONe way or another they will hit on each other one day, and that hit could go deaper since they were good friends.

I ain't playin'.... I'm just sayin'

Scorpion_Sista, Walaal, you misintrepreted my point. Yes, I believe no matter what happens members of the opposite sex will hit each other on an occassion.

Scor_Sista let me refresh your memory that there is a phrase called "ONE NIGHT STAND" no matter what the age, preference, personal behavior, or what other people thing they will hit each other even if the lady is 50 years old the man is 25 years old. The bond is much stronger than the friendly relationship.

We became a nation of spectators. :eek:

Peace

Love

&

Honor (Among us)