Sign in to follow this  
Guled92

Rageh Omaar a new somali celebrity

Guled92   

Rageh Omaar

Correspondent

NEWS

Rageh Omaar was most recently BBC News' Africa Correspondent, based in Johannesburg.

Previously he was Developing World Correspondent from 1998 and covered stories ranging from drought in Ethiopia to devastating floods in Mozambique.

Rageh began his journalistic career in 1990 as a trainee at The Voice newspaper in Brixton and then moved to City Limits magazine.

In 1991 he moved to Ethiopia where he freelanced as a foreign correspondent, much of his work being broadcast by BBC World Service.

In 1992, he returned to London as a producer for Focus on Africa for the World Service at Bush House.

Between 1994 and 1996, he worked as a broadcast journalist for the World Service and then became a producer and reporter for Newshour.

In September 1996 he undertook a three-month sabbatical at the University of Jordan, where he studied Arabic.

He was appointed Amman correspondent in March 1997.

Rageh Omaar was born in Mogadishu, Somalia on 19 July 1967. He is the youngest of four children.

Educated at Cheltenham Boys College, he went on to Oxford University where he gained a BA Honours in Modern History in 1990.

SoMa_InC   

Tha brother is Talented,educated and a true role model 4 many malis living in uk n whole over da world.

I always admired tha way he made it n inshallah he'll continue doing wha he gotta b doing.

God bless Rage n all da hardworking maliz.

Bachelor   

Certinely, he is one of the best jornalist that i have seen. I am not bias here, but always he carries himself professionaly. My question, though, how good is his somali? A freind told me that he has some difficulity when it comes to somali? How accurate is that?

PROUD OF HIM.

Blessed   

I loved that bro.. till he married a white gal

:(:(

He is a very good journalist though, so is his sister, Raaqiya she too works 4 the BBC!

Nice to see my Somalis doing their thang smile.gif

Talking about Celebrities in US, Canada and Europe, who else do you know?

Here is my list

Iimaan - They say she is the third richest black woman in the world. She is the CEO of her cosmetics company and major shareholder of Macy's.

Raage Omar - The talented fella from the BBC. Despite all the negetivity about our community sometimes, this guy makes me feel proud to be a Somali.

Weris - That supermodel who is also the UN ambassador.

Raaqiya Omar - What happened to her. She used to work for the Africa Watch organization. She is a talented activist also.

Ayaan Hersi - The athiest Dutch parliamanterian. I wish she was a Muslim.

Jamal Omar - This jailed Somali activist is the most media "qouted" Somali in North America. He is in jail for some "SHARCI" violations. He constantly attacked the system and the police in order to bring attention to the causes of the Somali people. You knew they were going to come after him anyways.

Rahima   

Mashallah, he is very good at what he does. Not only is he intelligent, but also well presented.

More than anything though, i admire him for the way he hasn't sold himself, he tells it like it is. In both Afghanistan and Iraq he reports on the true suffering of the people, something the American media lack- which explains why they dislike him.

Haneefah   

He's a great journalist although I'm concerned about his safety...so many poor journalists have died in combat...I guess it's something they learn to live with going into this risky business!

Raage Omaar isn't "embedded" wit the military. He's been reporting from Baghdad right from the start.

He is an excellent Journalist. Mansha'Allah

WingA   

sorry to be a party pooper but hes a british shy!! if i was the iraqi people, i'd gag him!! lool..

Iimaan and Ayaan Hersi, they are a shame to somali and islam and may allah guide them to right path!!

thats my 2 pence on these so called somali celeb's!!

HONEY-D   

He's surely sum1 to be proud of. He's a great example to all of us however i'm concerned abt his safety like Nafisa.

Gediid   

I enjoy watching his reports from Baghdad.he in someways portrays the hardship faced by Iraqis in the war in a very subtle yet unforgettable way.

His sister Raaqiya by the way does not work for the BBC but is the Executive director of Human Rights Watch, an organization similar to Amnesty International.

Kool_Kat   

Good for him, for doing something with his life...I know how hard it is to make it to the top...Specially in his field...Good for you Ragge, do ya thang bro...We all proud of you...

Ameenah, walaaleey ka ja jabiska naga dhaaf...Naad cadaan uu qabaa aa? Now that is a shame...But hey, what can I say...I just hope she's Muslim...