Sign in to follow this  
Nefertiti

Challenging the status quo : The need for Women's equality in the Corporate World

Do you think that women have the same equal rights as men in the corporative world?

Well we do apparently, up to a certain extent, but we are still struggling to attain those top managerial and executive positions. Women are also paid less than men for doing exactly the same job.

There has been great debate over the sacrifices required for us as women to assent into the higher echelons of management in the private sector. One of the main active camps believe that the only way we can to break through the glass ceiling is to delay – or not have children at all, work 70+ hours per week, and foregoing normal social lives. In an effort to keep pace with our ale counter part, we are making life choices that are changing societal values. For those who would have loved to have stayed at home and be a proper mum to their children are not able to do so because they cannot get the time off work, and if they do it is unpaid leave, which brings them the parent to be into financial difficulties.

The Women and Equality Unit cites that the UK has the highest female employment rate of the major European Union countries and fourth–highest of all EU countries. Though there are more women in the work force than ever before, only 4 per cent of directorships of all UK listed companies are held by women, and in 2002 there was only one female chief executive in the FTSE 100 companies. As a result, many private sector firms are implanting diversity programmes to fill ever-widening gender gaps. Though diversity is often associated with race, in recent years the description has grown to include all non-white male candidates. These programmes are the result of years of passive non – inclusion of women, ethnic minorities and the handicapped in the corporate environment. However despite all this effort the scramble for the crème de la crème is becoming more fierce for women.

There are plans in place to help move us through the door, but what plans are there to help move us through our respective organizations into positions of power and influence? The answer is very few. Women are included in the best and brightest selected entry-level roles, but once in the door there is little focused on issues that are unique to us. Some companies are known for their childcare and familial support programmes, and others offer relatively comprehensive human resources support. Often this is not enough. As a result many women are eliminated from the race for senior management early in the game. This is particularly prevalent among women who are in single – parent house holds are not able to work the hours, undertake last minute travel and make the same types of sacrifice as men who can do it all. These women are the models for what we like to achieve, but they are exception rather than the rule and they often have extensive personal – support networks.

The data is quite daunting, but hope is not lost. Our challenges are great, thus our approach must change. Unfortunately not everyone would reach the heights of senior management. Some won’t want to and others will not be able to due to difficult circumstances they may encounter along the way. Men often have access to tools that women don’t, including the legendary Boys’ Network that in some form still exists.

In a business world run by men, women must learn to speak their language and understand their drivers. We must be the catalyst for change and encourage our daughters. Teach them that the glass ceiling wasn’t meant for them. Expose them to people and events that will increase their interest in assuming positions of power to affect change for other women. Help to build community support networks around those who want to rise, so that they are able to focus without worrying about childcare and financial challenges. This often happens in the Somali community where girls are discouraged from an early age to achieve any success, career wise. Remember the better the job we have, the more we are able to provide for our offspring’s financially and give them all the things most of us never had. It is our responsibility to challenge the status quo and make the sacrifice of commitment to our daughters that will afford them the opportunity to be creators of the New World Order in which we will all be equal Insha'allah.

Jaabir   

very interesting Mami.. really enjoyed it..

please keep your intellectual thought flowing our way smile.gif

Women's place is right up in the Kitchen!lol.

i think we're losing our identity if we are now on

a level where we urging each other to take up the western way of living, i wonder what is the next step gonna be like?

i can't help but agree with Clown and OG_GIRL.

we are muslims we should think like muslims and live like the way ALLLAH told us to as a muslims

no wonder we have somany broken homes and somany single mothers because they have chased the poor father out after he asked them to remain at home as any good muslim wife should.

i have this feeling that come the year 2015 those of us in western countries will toltally adopt the western way of thinking,living and their rules

in my opinion the future looks very bleak as a muslim nation living in a christian countries.

MAY ALLAH GUIDE US ALL THROUGH THE RIGHT PATH.

Ameen-----Ameen-----Ameen.

Women's place is right up in the Kitchen!lol.

i think we're losing our identity if we are now on

a level where we urging each other to take up the western way of living, i wonder what is the next step gonna be like?

i can't help but agree with Clown and OG_GIRL.

we are muslims we should think like muslims and live like the way ALLLAH told us to as muslims

no wonder we have somany broken homes and somany single mothers because they have chased the poor fathers out after he asked them to remain at home as any good muslim wife should be.

i have this feeling that come the year 2015 those of us in western countries will totally adopt the western way of thinking,living and their rules

in my opinion the future looks very bleak as a muslim nation living in a christian countries.

MAY ALLAH GUIDE US ALL THROUGH THE RIGHT PATH.

Ameen-----Ameen-----Ameen.

^^^ Blah...blah....blah...blah. Change the record pls. :rolleyes:

QaxootiMammi...

Westerners like to pretend that they give a damn about equal rights and the like, when they in fact don't. It's all superficial...equal rights/equal opportunities/democracy/freedom of speech...none are worth the paper they are written on. However, altho it's still a man's world and the old boys' network is still alive and kicking...there are more opportunities for change. So I agree with ur last sentence. It's up to us to break the status quo. ;)

^^^ Blah...blah....blah...blah. Change the record pls.

Boys, you heard the lady. Thank you, BARWAAQO!

Reading over the (rather heated, I must say) responses I can see that a lot of people have misunderstood the point of the article. If you go back and read through it again, you'll see it has nothing to do with religion, but its rather criticising the corporate world, and its lack of equal rights for women.

Yes, its true that we mustn't get too caught up in Western philosophy, but at the end of the day, this is where we live, and the corporate world is what pays our bills and puts bread on the table. You dont have to agree with everything in the Western way, but you can make the choice of accepting certain rights to feed yourself (and your children) or you can commit the bigger sin of being on benefit while you are perfectly capable of working.

And please, I dont want to hear that old, tired line of "you've lost your religion" because I damn well haven't, and never will (al'hamdulilaah). I just know when to use my common sense.

Quote from Clown:
islamically speaking where does it say that women should be in the corprate world let alone having an equal rights with men?

Clown, read back through the Quran (properly this time, I suggest) and you'll see that it says that women and men are equal.

Women's place is right up in the Kitchen

And where's the men's place? On the couch or in the mefrish? Thats the thing that's actually led to the irrevocable step of women seeking work to pay their (and their children's) way. Now y'all are stuck with the consequences. Stop moaning. "Ta."

~harmonyangel~

As usual people have missed the point (apart from Harmony and Barwaaqo, thanks sisters, may Allah bless you both.)

To clarify, this was not to do with women's role in society, it was to do with women's right in BUSINESS and the WORKING ENVIRONMENT.

I dont understand why some Nomads choose to

to ignore the initial purpose of the articles posted and bring everything down to their version of Islam :rolleyes: . Islam is a way of life and we all know that, however it is also good to be an open minded and again to pick and choose what is appropriate to you as an individual. I am afraid that from time you start doubting yourself, then there is no hope for you. And just for the record, I have no doubt whatsoever about my beliefs or my myself. Remember Allah helps those who help themselves.

And to those Nomads who seem to enjoy preaching so much; how sin-free are you, pray tell?

Clown, I see we meet again? I'll be the big girl this time, and bow out.

Baashi   

QaxootiMammi,

Corporate world is not perfect by any stretch of imagination but it has come a long way and the level field is pretty much changed to the better.

As long as companies look after their bottom line the top performers, regardless their gender, will be rewarded. Corporate world is materialistic in nature and family and 'quality time' is not their first priority. Women without children attain upward mobility quicker and sooner than those with children.

I think the issue is more about the trade offs women face in than the corporate world being unfair to women. On the one hand, women want a 'quality time' with their family more than men would want. And on the other hand, they realize they have to forfeit that 'quality time' if they are to manage the company in their capacity as top officer. Because of women tend to be more conscientious in their familial resposibility than men, they are more likely to give up their career for marital or familial reasons. Women tend to take more paid time off, medical/family leave...and all these have impact on the company they work for.

shyhem   

Me is not saying anything,relaxation is better than discussion and as such i will hang on my neutral ground,no man was hurt by keeping his ideas to himself.

Anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayz!!!

Here is my thing, when I hear garbage like some of the above ..I get pissed like this :mad: but why should I be all :mad: because some men are :confused: about religion and misuse it by keeping their women locked up in the house. Did you know that Khadijah (prophet's wife p.b.u.h.) was also his BOSS? The quran never states that women's place is in the kitchen! Shaka zulu, if you object, pls state the chapter and verse!

I would say forget the past ..lets focus on the future! Trust me, somewhere in the near future, there will be many women in the top executive positions.....its only a matter of time!

:cool:

ONCE AGAIN aimed solely at Clown:

As usual certain people have missed the point !!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :mad: .

Clown if you had bothered to ACTUALLY READ THE ARTICLE AND THE FOLLOWING RESPONSE you would have realised that my comments had once again NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION. I was referring to the Western World, and how we can pick and choose what to believe of their philosophy, NOT their religion.It seems to me that you are the one that needs re-asurance of what he believes of Islam, so don't displace that on me.

As mentioned before if you want to challenge my statements please provide the relevant CHAPTER AND VERSE of the Holy Quran, otherwise stop the belly-aching and the spitting out of flimsy arguments with shaky foundations that can be shot down easily (*pow*).

Clown, frankly dear brother, I am getting sick of this game of TAG you seem to take so much pleasure in playing. I bowed out already, what more do you want? If you have nothing but deragatory flames to say to me, then please kindly bow out aswell. (Hence the pleasant manner of the request that is put forward to you.