Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Dubai? I need your thoughts

Rose   

what puts me off is how hard they try to be 'western', it was an eye-opener to see how much they were celebrating the new year. when they find out youre from london/western country youre respect level automatically goes up which is sad because you shouldn't have to respect someone for the simple fact that s/he is from London! it pi**es me off big time

Rose   

Originally posted by Kimiya:

Being Somali hasn't given me problems at all. In fact, I find that I get respect and preferential treatment (power of hijaab) which is in total contrast to what I was told to expect.

Arabs tend to warm to you more when you speak Arabic. They assume that all Somalis speak Arabic and speaking to them in English kinds makes you look like a dhaqan celis brat.

You have to Indifie your English too sometimes. The other day I took a taxi and tried to tell the guy to park closer to the building because I've a child with me. He was like what, what, what? After 5 minutes I told him- go baarking. He was like, okay and goes I no understand your English; you speak like you are English. LOL!

The people are generaly much more open and friendlier than in London.

This is really good to hear mashaAllah, which sector are you working in if i may ask sis?

Rose   

Originally posted by Kimiya:

Being Somali hasn't given me problems at all. In fact, I find that I get respect and preferential treatment (power of hijaab) which is in total contrast to what I was told to expect.

Arabs tend to warm to you more when you speak Arabic. They assume that all Somalis speak Arabic and speaking to them in English kinds makes you look like a dhaqan celis brat.

You have to Indifie your English too sometimes. The other day I took a taxi and tried to tell the guy to park closer to the building because I've a child with me. He was like what, what, what? After 5 minutes I told him- go baarking. He was like, okay and goes I no understand your English; you speak like you are English. LOL!

The people are generaly much more open and friendlier than in London.

This is really good to hear mashaAllah, which sector are you working in if i may ask sis? hope to move one day to dubai insha allah. at least its a muslim country huh?

Honesita   

Kimiya, girl it was not only the taxi driver, remember everytime we talked on the phone i'd tell you "abaayo please Somali ku hadal" I miss that Somali accent of yours...

I'm really happy for all of you who made a move to the UAE, i seriously would love to live there. Leaving the UAE in 95, i really don't have much memories of it except for the fact that i absolutely loved it... Now I hear Dubai has changed so much...my two brothers went back for some bussiness of theirs and they both were very disappointed... Dubai has become a very commercial place, expensive and over populated like they said... But apparantly Shariqah and Ajman are supposedly better off...

I asked my brother about any Islamic institutes one can enroll in over there... and he said he did not know of any... I find it a little odd.. It's a Muslim country...there must be some sort of a higher level of Islamic education... Let me know if you know of any reliable ones please...

Also, i always hear it is better to get a job offer then make the move...do you guys think that is true... What would you recommend? And what kind of work experience or level of education do most employers look for?

Fii Amaani'Laah

Honesita   

^^^ I guess right now i'm taking classes with AlMaghrib Institute... I love it to be honest with you... you learn a lot Masha Allah.. If i were to study in depth though, i'd wanna go to a Muslim country.... It's possible to do it here too..but my mission is to leave... then maybe look at the possibilities where ever i go.. Thanx though..

Fii Amaani'Laah

Ameen   

AlMaghrib classes are on of a kind.

I have been taking them here in Toronto since (or basically) the start and I wouldnt exchange it for anything.

I do suggest anyone who hasn't taken them to attend one of their seminars.

And Allah knows best

Rose   

I would advise this It's totally convienient, with it you can:

(copied from site)

Learn Real Knowledge/Realistic Time- Instead of 4-6 full time years that take over your life, we offer a truly meaningful BS in Islamic Studies in just 3 years.

Convenient Plans/Affordable Rates- We don’t believe you have to be independently wealthy or single to study. Our study plans are designed for working people who have families.

Classical Studies/Modern Facilities- We teach you the authentic Islam taken from the Quran and Sunnah and passed on from the scholars since the time of the Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam- all using the latest technology to make information and knowledge even more accessible.

Its all online with lectures running via the internet how convienient is that!

Buuxo   

this is a really good thread, sometime in the near future i plan to go there, for employment opportunities in the health-care sector,inshallah. and people who visited keep putting me off, but i would like to know , if its true the locals are racists, i hear they prefer to be treated by caucasians. i know they pay well for expats with qualifications from the west. but are they tolerant of other races?

Hunguri   

Beign Somalis. I wonder, where in the world will fit us, I remember reading an article about the Nomadic life style of Somali people, which said 75% of Somali ppl are nomadic in life style. Which means, they just move and tail the pasture, and the light of the thunder storm to feed their live stock :D , Im sure we are no longer different from our ancestors, and would love to move and move and move and move untill we melt down and get exhausted ;) . You guys welcome to Dubai and see the life style and confused judiciary laws, where you dont even have the freedom of enjoying your life career in experience and manouvering, for you belong to some1 under the law smile.gif !!!

N.O.R.F   

^^ You mean having a sponsor (your employer)? Well when you start your own business then things are better no? I will be my own boss in the next year or two IA.

NG

There is mixing with people and there is coming across them. I play footy and basketball with Indians, Arabs and Filipinos on a regular basis and get on with them but the division are very apparents. Teams of Arabs, Indian and Filipinos only. No mixed teams allowed. To be honest I live in my own little circle (as was the case in London) which consists of family and friends (Somalis). The local Arabs I only know a few who I come across on a regular basis. There are plenty of Masaaris, Jordanians, Iraqi, Filastinis etc in my xaafad and they are very friendly people.

Bloom, if you don’t have a licence you can learn here but I doubt the standard of teaching is as high as UK. In fact I’m quite sure it isn’t.

if its true the locals are racists, i hear they prefer to be treated by Caucasians

If you believe what Somalis tell you the you will never get anywhere in life. The locals are cool and would actually prefere being treated by a Muslim Arab.

Hunguri   

Buuxo honestly answering your question. There are lots of opportunities here in Dubai be in Medical,IT,Business ETC. But the confusion lies "How to live freeyly with no hinderence". Each and every thing is an obstacle. Beleive me, sometimes you will feel as though you are the slave of some1 either you are an employee who works for some1, or some1 having his own business either ways you belong to a local man named "Kafiil" that guy will be your owner and you will belong to him ever and ever as long as your stay here in UAE. Can you beleive!!! you cant leave a job or cancell an sponsor ship without the proper release of whom you belong to. Buuxo, you will get confused the law here smile.gif . Coz, its something which belongs to a man, and he edits to his personal satisfaction!!!!

Hunguri   

^^ You mean having a sponsor (your employer)? Well when you start your own business then things are better no? I will be my own boss in the next year or two IA.

Nothner, yeah its relatively better. But, you will be still under the sponsorship of some1 a "Kafiil". And, that guy will live on you like a prasite insect.

N.O.R.F   

^^There are different type of sponsorship. One is for the meployee and one is for the busniess owner.

For the employee you simply work for a company sponsored by Mr K Al Ansari. For a business owner you have more options. You will need a local sponsor but you will not need one if you set up in a free zone.