Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Dubai? I need your thoughts

Hunguri   

how easy is it to pass the licence test

BloomB, Welcome to Dubai. I would like to say something about the Licence. Bloom, if you are having a driving licence from the Western countries, like Europe/N-America, and those in the Pacific (Kiwis and Ausies). You dont need to undergo a driving test. You will simply go to the Traffic department, and hand over to them your driving licence. Hence, they will aprove your licence, and you will enjoy driving recklesly. I would advice you to take full observation of how driving looks in UAE, before you put your self into a risk. Finaly, you will keep up and be a part of our members :D . BloomB, Dont worry about the sponsors, If its true, that you have a link of the name you posted here. Mark my words you own the city and the countery. I've practically seen many things here. And, its good to have a network with the Locals !!

N.O.R.F   

Edit Bloom you still need a residence visa. The sponsor will be your employer. If you leave your job within a year you will get a 6 month ban not to work in UAE.

Driving test is passable but not sure about the quality of the teaching.

Let me know if you decide to come over for a visit.

Hunguri, whats your profession?

Hunguri   

Hunguri, whats your profession?

:D , Northner, saaxiib ma iga shakkiday lool. Do you think Im into the Intellegence team. Anyhow, Im an IT Engineer. I did Computer Science in Networking and Telecom, and working for Emirates Banking Group as Tech Support Engineer. Im an on call and currently having "Fujitsu-Siemens" project!. Dabshid is my reference too smile.gif !!

N.O.R.F   

Northner, saaxiib ma iga shakkiday

Ha ninyo, you seem to know more about UAE life. Dabshidna waa 'undercover'. The guy is in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah on the same day :D

N.O.R.F   

We should catch up over a game of football (preferably a Liverpool game) thats assuming your a fan of the beautiful game?

ps not in Deira though!

Hunguri   

Insha Allah Northner, Im a fun Barcelona :D . Thought, In English League. I support Arsenal and Liverpool. However, Liverpool is the Maakhir and Togdheer City smile.gif . That is my City!!! I will catch Dabshid and would check his time table. In the Mean time, I will PM you, when I get the feed back from Dabshid soon insha Allah!

NGONGE   

Originally posted by BloomDeyr:

I won't need any sponsor or Kafil; we will be based in the chamber of commerce thing (I have to double check this; but the likelyhood of my potential boss getting a local sponsor is almost nill; then again he told me that they use to be drinking buddies one of the young Makhtums whilist in sandhurst many moons ago).

Anyhow, I can't drive (crystal clear; yes indeed I have been an Environmentlist way before it became hip) so would one survive without a car? Also, how easy is it to pass the licence test?

I think I should pay a visit before I decide to move there.

Getting a driving licence is the easiest thing EVER in the UAE, if you know the right people that is. :D

It's one of the hardest (or at least that's how I remember it) if you don't have any contacts and have to rely on your wits and luck alone.

At any rate, it’s more difficult than the British driving test (providing they did not change the way it was done now).

N.O.R.F   

^^Come on now. You've seen the way people drive here. A combination of Arabs and Indians (you know how they drive in East London) is a very bad one.

I no longer say thanks to people who let me change lanes :( but i do usually force the issue :D

Jamster   

guys thanks. Really appreciate this.

Norf you are from london originally right? cool man if I ever get a release from my current employer-- no holidays till march.

About the driving thing, conflicting thoughts. I think I will not drive if there is no need-- london has been my abode for more than 5 years and never have I had the need to drive a car. Her majesty's tube has served me well.

Hunguri, are you from London too?

N.O.R.F   

^^You better live in the same building as your office. No public transport here mate.

There are cab companies who charge less for morning and evening pickups. Should still cost you less than what you curently pay on the tube (assuming you pay)

Rose   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:Originally posted by Hayam:

I know they tend to be really respectful to women in Dubai. Every time there was a queue in a bank or office, somebody would pick me out of the queue and let me go first, with none of the other men objecting!

I'm continuously surprised at seemingly smart women who fall for these token gestures of "respect" from men. How is it that it escapes their otherwise fine tuned senses for sniffing out phoneys? Men being nice to women is oxymoronic. It's more accurate to say men pretend to respect women, generally because they need something from them.
You could say that about picking women from a que I guess.... but what are the motives behind helping one cross the roads?/helping those lost other than wanting to be helpful?

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^Come on now. You've seen the way people drive here. A combination of Arabs and Indians (you know how they drive in East London) is a very bad one.

I no longer say thanks to people who let me change lanes
:(
but i do usually force the issue
:D

I do and it’s atrocious. The last time I was there I was in a hired car with a fellow Londoner. We stopped at the red traffic lights and were waiting for them to change when the Taxi behind us started peeping its horn a full minute before the lights changed! My friend, not being used to the unique Dubai driving experience, put his handbrake back on and got out the car to argue with the Iraqi Taxi driver.

But the driving test, as I remember it, was much tougher than the UK one. Here, all you have to do is take a theory test and then drive around with someone testing you and giving you simple instructions to do (park here, turn there, etc). There (back then at least) you had to do two tests. One was done in the traffic police’s premises and involved reversing your car into winding cones and making sure that you don’t touch a single one of them. Going up a tiny constructed hill and ensuring that the car does not reverse backwards, and various other small manoeuvres. The road test was also as complicated and difficult. Most people passed on their tenth or fifteenth attempt. Of course, they later discarded all of that and happily took part in the suicidal pastime of being a driver in Dubai (UAE). Looks like you’re doing the same already. :D

Teardrop   

Bloom, walaal Congrats on your new post.

Life in Dubai is less expensive than that of the UK/Europe. If you intend to work there for the long term ie more than 10 years than perhaps you should consider purchasing a property unless your employer intends to pay for your rent. Property in UAE is well below market value in comparison to existing markets ie UK.

Although not essential it would be beneficial to learn Arabic.

Having a UK passport will open few more doors for you compare to Asian/African one. Transport is improving with the tram lines under construction and taxi fares are reasonable. Lakiin expect rush hour traffic which is unpleasant under such temperature particularly June-August period.

I have been to Dubai 3 times and each time the local were very friednly and helpful. The Job market is currently booming due to investment pouring into the country and regeneration.

There is a flux of Somali from Europe and America migrating to UAE hence social life is bound to be lively.

I too insha Alah hope to move and work there.