Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Dubai? I need your thoughts

Jamster   

I have just been offered a job (or rather gentleman’s agreement) in Dubai. The move will be sometime in the middle of May. Of course, I am excited about this, but one has to think about the hard currency in London—not to mention friends and family being left behind.

Anyhow, that aside I would like to find out couple things preferably from those who lived in London but made their abode in Dubai recently (Northerner et all).

1. What is the living expense like? If I were to drive 4X4 (yes I care little for the environment) and live in a nice apartment; eat nice places etc. How much do you think such a live style would cost? In London probably you would need to make 50K pounds a yea before Tax.

2. How is the culture like?

3. As a Somali sporting a Brit Passport; would I be treated with dignity---- What is the perception (current one) of the likes of me; Somali with a british passport?

4. this is for those in the financial industry; are there any Somali people you know who work within Investment Banking?

Thank you very much indeed for your help; really appreciate your thoughts on this.

N.O.R.F   

Well first of congrats,,,,,

I will try to give you a general idea insha allah

You will miss London, family and friends big time for the first couple of months but after your just grinding as per usual.

Driving can be a nightmare but once you get used to it you will be fine. Just make sure your close to the office.

What is the living expense like? If I were to drive 4X4 (yes I care little for the environment) and live in a nice apartment; eat nice places etc. How much do you think such a live style would cost?

General living expenses you mentioned are a lot cheaper than in London. A nice meal in a restaurant will leave enough change (you probably wont finish the meal anyway and take it home).

Rents can be expensive depending where you wish to live but that will depend on you income. Again it will depend on where you decide to live.

How is the culture like?

There is a culture of division. Ie each to his own nationality group. Same as London I suppose. The Arab culture is not that evident but the culture of Islam is. The athaan, the quite Friday mornings etc. There is also a mall/consumption culture.

As a Somali sporting a Brit Passport; would I be treated with dignity---- What is the perception (current one) of the likes of me; Somali with a british passport?

You will be fine. They wont even look at you when stamping your passport. One thing though, if you do decide to take the job make sure you get your uni results and fax it to them along with copy of passport etc. It save you a lot of time and hassle if you arrive on a work visa instead of a visit visa. Its illegal to work on a visit visa but I did it for 4 months and its not really a big deal. But you will have to leave the country every month or two while things are being processed (slow Arabs).

Jamster   

North thanks mate.

Actually the company is based in London and they are opening an office there-- Dubai seems the new HK! so in that sense the visa things would hopefully not apply as these guys will take care of everything.

Intresting you say that everyone keeps with his people.

In terms of the housing I think there will be three of us initially living together and working together. But I am thinking of getting married soon so living out will be a real option really. Also, since this company is private and they will generously be paying us london price; I will have to get private health thing. Is that expensive? Also, is it easy to get a license I currently have none--- I live in london man; no need for one unless you want to "impress" the ladies.

Anyhow; what is the night life like?

thanks.

NGONGE   

North,

The culture of division only exists with those that don't want to mix. In my time there I mixed with almost all nationalities. I used to play cricket with the Indians (and visited Sharjah cricket ground countless times). An English lady that used to live by the beach, attempted to teach me horse riding and English (but failed miserably on both counts). I fell in and out of love with one of the local Sri Lankan maid and the Filipino checkout girl. Played football with Arabs of all nationalities. I even helped an Australian merchant seaman buy roses for the nurses in hospital after he accidentally got shot by Iranian coastguards (he regularly used to visit and come to check us out when in town). There are countless others that I can’t recall now. But, I suppose it’s easier to mingle when you’re young and carefree.

Incidentally, it were only Somalis that I didn’t mix much with in those days. Almost all of them lived in far off Abu Dhabi back then.

mantra   

3. As a Somali sporting a Brit Passport; would I be treated with dignity---- What is the perception (current one) of the likes of me; Somali with a british passport?

At the airport steer away from Phillipino custom officials on power trips. I bet you'll be missing the good ol' British weather, who knew it was possible..

Jamster   

Mantra thanks for the tip.

I am really little apprehensive about the heat man; i dislike anything that is hotter than 25.

Another, how important is it to know a bit of Arabic?

ScarFace   

dont learn trust me they take the piss if you knw a bit of arabic....THEY TEND to harrass u at the airport if you speak arabic to them but speak english and they look down waste arab... When I was leaving the airport I must have said to one of the arab airport workers there I was going to learn arabic and HE said DONT LEARN.....

enjoy it though I knw i did make sure you use the english language to your advantage i knw i did I was treated like a royal king and MAN i had fun. enjoy it cusin

NGONGE   

^^^ You want him to go live in a country and not learn the language? How absurd! That would really be a waste.

Bloom, it's as important as living in London and learning to speak English. Do not listen to the one above and turn into a typical Somali old lady in London, saaxib. :D

Jamster   

Old chap rather than a lady.

I know the airport it is better to speak English (this is a reccuring theme)! but reffering to more on the daily life.

ScarFace   

NGONGE its a country that stereotypes they tend to kiss the asz of the english speakers rather than their own...As one Egyptian man told me learn arabic for personal reasons but not for communicating...

NGONGE   

^^^ As with every country in the world, they do stereotype but the myth about the English is nonsense. He that is nasty to the English is nasty to everyone and he that is nice to them is almost always nice to everyone. At least this is my personal experience of it. Hang on, I once read an article by an English man about working conditions in that part of the world. Let me fish it out for you. :D

Blessed   

Being Somali hasn't given me problems at all. In fact, I find that I get respect and preferential treatment (power of hijaab) which is in total contrast to what I was told to expect.

Arabs tend to warm to you more when you speak Arabic. They assume that all Somalis speak Arabic and speaking to them in English kinds makes you look like a dhaqan celis brat.

You have to Indifie your English too sometimes. The other day I took a taxi and tried to tell the guy to park closer to the building because I've a child with me. He was like what, what, what? After 5 minutes I told him- go baarking. He was like, okay and goes I no understand your English; you speak like you are English. LOL!

The people are generaly much more open and friendlier than in London.

Changed   

Dubai is beautifull.....I was there and i loved it.. however that city is expensive to live in, but if u have a good paying job u should be alright!!!

Som@li   

Dear bro,

The figures? how much you do with all those depends your life style,and which area you live? Dubai is getting expensive everyday, with rent increase of 150%.

The culture is a mix up of Arab, Asian, African and Europiens, 80% of the populations are expatrieates, so Dubai is multi-cultural city.

Day to day activities are like any third world country.

Licences, you will have to pay 200 Dirhams,abtout $55, to convert your licence once you have the residence Visa. With visit visa , you can still drive with your brit licence.

One of the experiences I faced,was one day I took some time off from work to pay my electricity bills, and had to carry my passport with me,I only had 15 min, but the queue was so long, but the guy at the reception when he saw my passport, he helped me and took my papers to handled immidaitely. smile.gif

It was a special treatment, but I felt bad,Some old somali ladies were @ the queue :(