Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Edna Aden Awarded

Pretoria, 12 December 2009 (Somalilandpress) – University of Pretoria awards Dr. Edna Adan Ismail from Somaliland the Chancellor’s Medal for her outstanding contribution to humanity.

“You cannot make progress unless you stick your neck out but with due caution”. Dr. Edna Adan, recipient of University of Pretoria’s Chancellor’s Medal.

“Edna Adan Maternity Hospital is the best hospital in Africa”. Mr. Martin Nsibirwa, University of Pretoria’s LLM Programme Manager introduced Dr. Edna profile to the audience.

The recognition that Centre for Human right at the University of Pretoria is bestowing upon me belongs to all who speak out for the voiceless and will hopefully encourage those who are concerned about human rights but who keep silent out of fear of repercussions. Perhaps we should learn from the tortoise whose motto is “You cannot make progress unless you stick your neck out but with due caution” Says Dr. Edna Adan former Minister of Foreign Affairs in Somaliland, the founder of Edna Adan Maternity Hospital (http://www.ednahospital.org/), Hargeisa, Somaliland.

Dr. Edna Adan was speaking at the University of Pretoria’s graduation ceremony yesterday afternoon (Thursday, 10th Dec 09), where by government officials, European Union in South Africa (EU), ambassadors, UN high officials, academia, alumni’s who had returned to celebrate 10th anniversary of the LLM programe, international journalists, members of the Community of Somaliland in Southern Africa and hundreds of other guests gathered to celebrate 29 law students from 20 countries who have just completed a Master of Laws (LLM) in Human Rights and Democratization in Africa who received their degrees at the graduation ceremony. A number of prizes were also awarded to deserving students.

The theme of Dr. Edna’s keynote address was “Promoting Human Rights in Somaliland and Africa in general”. The 10th December is the International Human Rights Day. On this day, some sixty years ago, the United Nations adopted the Declaration of Human Rights, while in 1420 years ago, Islam has laid the principles of Human Rights.

“Today, with profound humility, and knowing full well that there are many who are far more deserving than I am, I accept this award on behalf of those individuals and groups both in Somaliland and elsewhere who have taken great personal risk to ensure that others may live in peace and dignity. This includes the quarter million war genocide victims in Somaliland who gave their lives to fight oppression during our civil war from 1982 to 1991. I wish to reconise them as the martyrs who praved the way for the peace, freedom and stability that we (Somalilanders) enjoy today”. Said in a moving address in which she accepted Chancellor’s Medal for her outstanding contribution to humanity Somaliland, in particular with regard to helping the under-privileged realize their right to health.

Dr. Edna further emphased in her moving speech about women empowerment in both Somaliland and Africa in general.

“I accept this award on behalf of the women of Somaliland and Africa who have the highest maternal mortality rate in the world and who die because they are poor. Our women die because they lack care from well trained health care providers in health facilities that are properly equipped. Our women also die because the lack the education that would have raised their status and given them access to skills and employment” Dr. Edna attaches her caring emotions; she further highlights that women die because of female genital cutting.

“I know there is no magic wand that can resolve all our problems but I am confident that if we join hands and concentrate on just one effort which is that of training more midwives in our community, we will prevent the death of many women and children. I therefore appeal for support in this major undertaking which my hospital (Edna Adan Maternity Hospital, Hargeisa Somaliland) is pionnering in Somaliland and where such training is in progress right now” says Dr. Edna, with lots of applauds and support from hundreds of attendees.

She concludes that she profoundly touched by the genorisity of University of Pretoria. “Thank you both for this special recognition and also for the warm hospitality of your people and your country (South Africa). Concludes Dr. Edna

According to the center’s website, the University of Pretoria’s Centre for Human Rights, which was awarded the 2006 UNESCO Prize for Human Rights Education, presents the one-year full-time LLM in partnership with eight other universities in Africa representing all the sub-regions. The students were drawn from a variety of backgrounds, including the civil service, the judiciary, academia, and some recent graduates.

Since its inception in 2000, 291 students from 35 African countries including Somaliland, have graduated from the programme, and gone back to their respective countries to hold various positions in government, academia, and the NGO sector. Thirty-four students from 19 countries have already been selected to participate in the programme next year.

The students who graduated this week will return to their respective countries where they will use their expertise to further an awareness of human rights and influence general human rights polity in international and national NGOs, government and academia.

Dr. Edna has publicized her hospitals services and the struggle of Somaliland to integrate the international community.

The community of Somaliland in Southern Africa (COSSA) has also awarded merit certificate to Dr. Edna for her dedicated contribution and support for the people of Somaliland.

Hamse   

eedo edna is is a good lady. she did so many good things while riyaale was cheating people.

in puntland minister Caasha Geelle is the best minister in that region. the lady always works hard as minister and people like her clean record and help. it shows women are better politicians in somalia.

54539e7b6c.jpg

women officials work for the good of citizens and are not corrupt. we need more of them.

Juxa   

Edna is one of the few people i truely admire.

actions speaks louder i guess and her record is impeccable. congrats to her and her team

Tuujiye   

Waraa JB you sure Dr Edna didn't speak for all somali woman and not only for "somaliland woman" lool I read something different....

Dr Edna should be a role model for all somali woman! she is a leader maasha allah....

Wareer Badanaa!!!

The caring and compassionate face of Somaliland

Beautiful, outspoken, elegant, educated, intellectual and astute, Edna Aden Ismail was indeed a perfect former foreign affairs minister of Somaliland, the wife of the late president M.I.Egal, the founder & director of Edna Hospital and a tireless campaigner for good causes in Somaliland.

The University of Pretoria has picked Edna's exceptional love for humanity and decided this week (10th Dec 09) to award her with the Chancellors medal for her outstanding contribution to humanity, and particularly with regard to helping the under-privileged people of Somaliland, especially the women and children to realize their rights to health, coincide sharply with Human Rights debates across the globe.

Dr. Edna's contributions are by far unmatched. She centered her contributions on a matter that haunts nations as powerful as the US and Canada, being the health issue. She is indeed a trailblazer and pace setter. We owe her a duty to follow in her shoes and do what men of civilized nations do; that is to fix our house firstly.

It was indeed an honor to witness well known professors and academics, UN ambassadors, government officials, members from the civil societies at large, addressing about Dr. Edna's passion for serving humanity to some 29 LLM graduates and large very important audiences.

Dr. Edna is the first woman in Somalia/Somaliland to qualify as a nurse, the first woman to be appointed a director in the government, the first to speak out against female genital mutilation in the horn of Africa in the 1970s, the first woman in Somalia/Somaliland to obtain a driver's license, and now the founder of a maternity hospital.

"I still have the energy and determination to serve humanity even at 72 years of age" smilingly shares with members of the Somaliland community in South Africa.

She pulled out pamphlets and statistical reports on her Hospital. There were lots of photographs of young and gorgeous young ladies interning at the hospital and a woman undergoing a caesarian. She shared these documents with the attendees of the graduation ceremony.

Covering the daily/monthly running costs of the hospital is among the many challenges Dr. Edna faces. "the running costs of the hospital ranging from water/electricity, medical equipments, medications, expanding the hospital, goes beyond our capability but with God's grace, we carry on despite all these challenges" says Edna.

Dr. Edna's award means much than that which meets the eye. It is redemption of nation awaking from a nightmare.

Congratulations are in order.

Dr. Edna Adan can be reached at:

Edna Adan Maternity Hospital

Mobile: +252-2-4426922

+252-2-4416342

Fax: +252-2-515454

Email: ednahospital@yahoo.com

ednahospital@gmail.com

hospital@ednahospital.org

edna@ednahospital.org

http://www.ednahospital.org/

Written by:

Saeed Furaa

Freelance Journalist

South Africa

Juxa   

she should lead whole of somalia, iska daaya somaliland eh!

she has all the qualities of a good leader and not an ounce of selfishness