Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Canadian Goverment digs more dirt on Sucaad

Suaad Hagi Mohamud: Ottawa saw an imposter

Toronto woman who was stranded in Kenya waits for $2.5M lawsuit to get to trial

Suaad Hagi Mohamud came home to frenzied enthusiasm in mid-August, vindicated by DNA results that prompted Canadian authorities to repatriate her from Kenya.

Since then, the Toronto woman of Somali origin who became one of the summer's top newsmakers has disappeared from public view, resolutely declining all interviews. She was last heard from in late September, having recovered from a respiratory infection picked up in Kenya but not yet returned to work.

Her ordeal began May 21, when a KLM airlines employee in Nairobi stopped her – or a woman claiming to be her – as she attempted to board a plane home to Toronto.

The next day, Canadian migrant integrity officer Paul Jamieson interviewed the woman and declared her an imposter, setting in motion events that led to a jail stay and Kenyan charges of immigration and passport violations.

A lengthy prison sentence looked certain.

The woman was free on bail while awaiting trial and eventually the case was picked up by the Star and some other Canadian media.

Under pressure, the Canadian government agreed to the DNA test which showed the woman who took it was Mohamud, a Canadian citizen.

The furor around her plight prompted a political debate about whether the federal government has double standards when dealing with visible minority citizens in difficulties abroad.

Since then, documents filed in federal court show neither Mohamud nor Canadian authorities had been entirely straightforward in their public dealings.

Throughout the affair, Mohamud portrayed herself as a single parent, travelling alone to visit her mother after leaving her son in Toronto.

In fact, she is married to a Kenyan resident and was in the country partly to visit him. She disclosed the marriage when claiming $100,000 in damages on his behalf, part of a $2.5 million lawsuit against Ottawa for "callous and reckless treatment" on the imposter allegation.

At the same time, publicly released emails between federal bureaucrats in Ottawa and Nairobi show they agreed to state the opposite of what they knew to be true.

When federal officials closed their file on Mohamud on May 28, turning her over to Kenya for prosecution, they decided to state publicly that they were still investigating, the exchanges show.

"Canadian officials are working with Kenyan authorities to verify the identity of the individual," foreign affairs spokesperson Daniel Barbarie told reporters from a prepared script.

And when the officials reopened their investigation – "It is important to ensure our t's are crossed and i's dotted," a minister's assistant wrote – they agreed to say publicly the file was still closed.

"Following an extensive investigation, officials at the Canadian High Commission in Nairobi have determined that the individual arrested by Kenyan authorities is not (Mohamud)," Barbarie told reporters.

In a federal court affidavit this fall, Jamieson speculated that the woman he interviewed was Mohamud's younger sister Jihan. Such a sister was listed on Mohamud's original Canadian immigration application, he said.

Mohamud said in a phone interview that she has no sister. Somebody else had filled out her original immigration application, she said.

"The person they (stopped) at the airport, it was me," Mohamud said.

Her lawsuit against Ottawa could take months to go to trial.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/743527--suaad-hagi-mohamud-ottawa-saw-an-imposter?bn=1

Throughout the affair, Mohamud portrayed herself as a single parent, travelling alone to visit her mother after leaving her son in Toronto.

In fact, she is married to a Kenyan resident and was in the country partly to visit him. She disclosed the marriage when claiming $100,000 in damages on his behalf, part of a $2.5 million lawsuit against Ottawa for "callous and reckless treatment" on the imposter allegation.

so the dirt is she she lied about being married ? this has zero bearing on her suit against the government ... pathetic reporting.

Juxa   

geeljire, it all goes to credibility and it does matter in civil actions if claimant is qof been sheegta

Geeljire, typical of a farax to deny that this woman is fraud, even after it is proven that to be the case.

Very typical of you to stand in arms in support of a woman who lied to the public, to her lawyer perhaps and to the government.

A woman who lied to the media and her ultimate champion the star who invested their reputation on this woman when I said the opposite of everyone.

THE FACT IS THAT SHE LIED TO EVERYONE WHO CAME TO HER DEFENSE.

EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTED HER AND WHO WERE ON HER SIDE, GAAL OR MUSLIM CAME TO HER AID, SAID THIS WOMAN WAS WRONGED BY THE HARPER GOVERNMENT...BUT DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT LAYZIE SAID IN DEFENSE OF THE GOVERNMENT REFUSING TO GRAND HER ACCESS TO CANADA?

Remember I Said that the government issues identifications that were published in the newspaper did not match her and in fact she should have had a family member flight on her behalf, only later to send back the document via the postage for the real SUCAAD TO GET BACK HOME?

Now we find out that it was none other than her sister who was infact stopped by the airline desk in cooperation with the kenyan officials and its quite possible that she was jailed only later to be released in the hands of the corrupt local police station, which now this woman is claiming as a loss of net on behalf of her supposed husband, who she denied at the beginning in kenya.... She filed 100K on his behalf and we didnt even know that his said husband existed at the beginning.

SHE PLAYED THE SINGLE MOTHER CARD, WHO WAS DETAINED BY KENYAN AUTHORITIES BECAUSE SHE WAS VISITING HER AILING MOTHEr...REMEMBER HER?

LIAR LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE AND IT SICKENS ME THAT YOU ARE STILL DEFENDING the INDEFENSIBLE ....TUUG AQLIGA KA TAGAY WAAYE NAAGTAAN BUT SHE DIDNT FOOL ME, SHE FOOLED EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU.

NEXT TIME, DONT MAKE ME SAY I TOLD YOU SO...BECUZ I WILL AND IF NEED Be, I WILL PULL THE ORIGINAL THREAD BY MMA.......tolow he must have buried his head with shame when he read his beloved star.

Tuujiye   

^^^ lool Lazy the story is not done yet and she is not guilty yet so comedown horta...

Somalideena waxkaste ayaa ka suurta gasha and waxaana waa waxyaalaha caadiga ah oo naga suurta gala..Qoftaan filinkeeda Somali badan ayaanan awalba u bixin laakiin sharciga wadanka wuxuu sameeye still qalad weeyaan...

Layzie, Sucaad xaji case keeda waa nothing hadaad ogaan leheed inta case oo soo baxday after naagtaan.... The Canadian Government use to do nothing for all its visible minority who were in need.. many non White Canadians ayaa dhibaatoonaya in other countries so please haka dhigin in our government uu yahay perfect...

dadka caawiye gabartaan uma eesan caawin in ee ayada kiliya dhibkeeda wax ka qabtaan, ee laakiin sababkale oo weyn bee la haayeen yarta!...

Tuug la qabti dheh!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Tuujiye, explain to me how the government wronged her?

Just in a sentence or two, just state how the government was wrong in this instance?

I'm no harper fan but law is law, thats why you and I follow the rule of law, why cant the benefit and immigration frauds? go ahead, explain to me how harper and his government was out of line?

You are right in that as the case progresses, we will find out the detail and the protocol of government officials, from the CAnadian consulate in Nairobi to the foreign office.

Jacpher   

^Lazy your input is just an opinion, just that.

This is a case the Canadian government doesn't want to lose. Think of all the minorities turning up left and right.

Good luck to Sucaad.

Kool_Kat   

Imaan daro dhibaatadaan ey leedahay...Had she/her sister paid bribe money to the Kenyan officials, as many who get caught in such situations, trust and believe, there would have been nothing the Canadian government could do to her! Iyadoo Kenyans ka madaxa usalaaxaayaan aa diyaaradeeda lasoo saari lahaa...In Kenya the saying 'Money talks, bullshidh walks' is the way to go...She would have been home free long time without all this media attention...

Now they (the government) will dig-up anything and everything on her, however small/big! She'll be lucky if they don't release how many times a day she goes to the washroom...

Layzie, sheeko wey ku dhanaanaanoysaa abaay Sucaad...2.5M lawsuit hakaa saarto dheh!

Who ever adviced her to file the 100K on behalf of her husband baa sheekada ku shaagay...Alowsahal...

Curly   

Ok, I'm confused...so Sucaad and her sister Jihan were both in Kenya and supposedly Jihan attempted to travel with Sucaad's details. When she was refused they let her go? So Sucaad filed a complaint which eventually led to DNA been taken.

I don't think anyone can say they truly know what happened. But what we know is that this sort of thing happens often in our community and other communities so why couldn't it be possible?

And since Sucaad denied having a sister which she previously made an immigration claim for and didn't declare she was married she's not exactly the most honest and trustworthy person.

I personally don't think she should be given compensation, when she was trying to hoodwink the government.

This reminds me it's funny how people assume that government organisations don't talk to one another. their stories get so muddled that I don't think they remember who they told what and that it will come back to bite them in the ***.