Sign in to follow this  
Jamster

Columbus Ohio?

Jamster   

Dear Sirs,

My long delayed journey to the Rome of this century will begin at the end of this month. I will be spending a weekend in New York; will have a bite at the big apple; then off to some dreary place in the Midwest ( Excuse my ignorance to American Geography—and I can be bothered to looked up, I have other important things to do with my time), Ohio. To be precise, I will in Columbus. Folks who had been there or even live in that part of the country might be kind enough to afford tips as to where to eat and what to avoid—socially horrendous places don’t attract me.

Tips my fellows for this poor nomad wanderer would be much appreciated.

Nephissa   

Of all the places who in their right mind goes to Columbus, Ohio for a vacation? Unless, absolutely you've to go for whatever reason then I suggest the city of Dublin (Columbus suburb.) Stay away from the ghetto.

Thats my 3 and a half cents.

^Bisharo and it sure did look like a three cent comment.lol

Anyhu Farah. Columbus is not a very bad place.The problem with somalis is they judge a city by where and what somalis do. True, some of the weirdest somalis live in the 614 area ,but they!, You cant avoid somalis.

There lots and lots of things to be done in columbus. One of my fav things i did when i went to columbus was visit the Martin Luther King Cultural centre. Loved it.

You can also see a Statue of the Man himself,Chris Columbus.fun eh?

Avoid Morse[moos] and Maize street :D

raula   

yeah its weird place but cool place if you know where to hang out. I suggest you wonder around the Ohio State campus area-towards downtown[downtown is a cool place too]. That place(to me) seemed HIP and URBAN :D just like Dinkytown here in MN ;) [as you said mainstream americans are too busy being workholics and it can sure get dready-but always the HOT SPOTS are those around campus and uptowns].

& if you dont mind visit your folks in the malls, Iam sure you will be suprised how much you have missed them icon_razz.gif Much luck.

Pujah   

Dublin what is there to see :confused:

There is plenty of stuff to see in Columbus sis it just depends on what you are in the mood for.

If you want to wine and dine in Columbus some restaurants to try include Brio (Italian) or Bon Vie (French) both in Easton Town Center the first place to check out when you’re in Columbus. If you’re in the mood for some mali food the best place I can suggest is Marka bistro the place will make you claustrophobic but the food is great. Also check out short high it has some galleries and is reeking with small pups and hippies that you will enjoy the buckeye state

Now for shopping ….lets face it girls’ best friend Easton and Polaris should have all the stores you need…or you can always check out Banaadir and Global for qamaar and stuff like that. If you go to banaadir and global be ready for strangers to stare at you though.. . cuz the city is famous for that

best advice: enjoy your visit and don't limit yourself to just somali places

Wiilo   

^^^I would advice u to go and see Easton Mall and Somali Malls too, 'cause u will see u know (Like raula said) old folks..

Go figure:............

Easton mall shopping area was very cool. Visit darbo restourant and ask for "KK"(the best somali saxan ever!) If you have the chance visit Deyton, I thought it was very beautiful. Take Faynuus with you just incase because I thought some parts of columbus were kinda dark.

Wiilo   

Lol@runaway^virgin

I agree with u, I thought that too wallaahi.... yeah take that...........

Go figure:.................

shyhem   

Farah

Columbus ain't a place you should be excited about.As amatter of fact the whole state of Ohio is a boring and depressing place to be.

Columbus ain't no different than most sleepy boring midwestern towns.The only positive thing about columbus is there are plenty of somali women if you are single.Be careful of the young boys there,they have no manners and are wangstas with guns.

Jamster   

Okay guys; thanks for the information.

Perhaps, coming from a city like New York (I will be there a long weekend), it would be a change from bustling city to “sleepy†town. But when I have asked about the ins and outs of this city, I was not referring to the mainstream dinning places (one can Google such a place and get an idea) but indeed the haunts of the Somalis.

So far I have one restaurant; how about cafés and shopping malls?

Pujah   

Farah

I see you ddn't need main stream dining tips eh

hokey..i hear ya

now let me give you places nomads frequent

there is this caffe called safari their sambusa and chai is the best there is....dont you dare go inside though belive me balaayaa iga raacday inta dhax galay...they have a number on their window just call and they will bring it you...very fast kids i may add

there is this restraunt on morse rd...can't say their name be carefull there they have baranbaro...my friend swears to have seen it...used to go there alot cuz their food is or was good...now since i heard that can't stand the place...so there i gave you my 2 cents

hokey what is left oh yeah darbo waa cankabuut marka bistrona kaba daran...both have good mali foods tho'

as far as somali malls the place has so many somali malls and stores that I cant really count them for you...hope fully your family or friends will show you all the getho places somalis stay or frequent

hope that helped

can't be bothered to edited my post

Nephissa   

^^^ LOOL gr8 info. Don't remind me the Somali restaurants in Columbus, and their owners. Why do they Shuffle women at the back near the toilet, where its dark and smelly? I swear I could smell the Boosaneero. I remember arguing with the waiter about their seating arrangements. Then he got us a decent table in the middle of the restaurant like everybody else. But then with all the Farax's staring we couldn't eat. We could barely get the spoon to the mouth. Left the restaurant Hungry and Angry.

What a place !

J.Lee   

^^^You should of chewed with your mouth open until they stopped staring at you seriously, that is irratiting.

Raula , I will be in columbus around May insha'allah for my cousin's wedding and from what I heard it's like visiting Garbahaaray for more than half of the somali people claim to known your Family and are your kin some where along the line.

i got stuck one time in columbus, i say around 1996! i was traveling in ground hound bus coming from dc on school trip!oh boy oh boy!

the mistake i made was to to sit at the back of the bus! u know who sits there, all the drug dealers, hos, and pimps etc.,

i was sitting there peacefully when this brotha start talking to me! "hey, where u from brotha? i told him that was from african. then he goes, who do u say in lingo, whats going on the flip side? i am like ohh! u say, maxaadh rabta!!

anyway, after a while the whole back starting smoking nacaasta!! can u imagine that aroma just floating the entire bus!! u can feel the aroma just floating from the back to front, like a fog!!

kids starting fighting with siblings and their parents, the whole bus broke into chaos!! driver called his office and at next stop cops where waiting!

they released me after 6 hrs when they called my parents and figure that i was not smoking that shyte!

that was my last bus trip any where on bus!! thanks columbus!! u made bycott ground hound 4 ever!! :eek: :eek: