Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Xu

Organ Donation

I was wondering what your opinions are on organ donation. Would you/have you join(ed) your national donor register?

I've been reading about it for a while, and Islamically it seems to be allowed (correct me if I'm wrong) and I really want to sign up while I still have a say. However, I'm not sure my family would support it. In typical Somali paranoia fashion, they are convinced that the next time I step a foot in a hospital, some deranged doctor will run at me with a scalpel to harvest my organs.

In this, should I go against their wishes? I mean, it is my body after all and the benefit of helping to save another life seems to be greater than the discomfort of my family.

Please advise.

Cara.   

Yes on being on the donor registry. I don't see why my body is better off being eaten by worms than saving someone's life.

I noticed a lot of Somalis are leery of the concept. Until they or someone they love needs an organ, then it's kosher smile.gif

Keep in mind that in most cases your next of kin will actually have to give permission to have your organs harvested in the event of your death. So educating them and informing them of your wishes is important.

Ladies- You are feeling very charitable. Personally,on the event that I die, I will instruct my lawyer to sell my organs to the highest bidder.He keeps 10% and the rest goes to my fav charity :D

Shakti   

I once heard that some hospitals were too quick to take the organs out even though the patient had a fair amount of survival chance(that is if u aint the ideal race) So I won’t suggest it.

Donate my organs well islam don't mind but don't u want to rest in peace one piece ... cuz when muslim dies we should harry to but him in him/her in grave right so why?? unless you like that...

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Naden:

^ Make sure you refuse a liver, kidney, heart or lung when yours become pickled too.

If u refuse or not, give or recive it dont really matter does it.....because your time is written aint no donation or surgery gonna change that.

i would never sign that list....but if u are thinking about it make sure u talk the imams and research what Islam says about it.

But should I insist on it, even though my family doesn't want me to, mostly due to mainly ungrounded fears. (I admit, they just dismissed it out of hand, without me sitting them down and giving them quotes from hadiths/Quran and scholars yet, as I'm planning to do).

I know they ask the family for permission, but is this something worth having a conflict over. I read somewhere that you will continue to receive reward from Allah swt, as long as the organs help another person survive. Doesn't that take precedence over appeasing your family?

Cara.   

Originally posted by Che-Guevara:

Ladies- You are feeling very charitable. Personally,on the event that I die, I will instruct my lawyer to sell my organs to the highest bidder.He keeps 10% and the rest goes to my fav charity
:D

smile.gif

You'd give money to charity that helps poor people, but you wouldn't give your organs to a poor person?