maakhiri1

Dhismihii iyo Mashaariicdii KACAANKA

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Mubaarak of Egypt came 1981 and left 30 years after the Arab spring, Daniel Moi of Kenya came1978 and left  25 years after elections and wind of change touched the country. The whole region was run by one man rule. No one have ever though of replacing Mubaarak  , Qadaafi or Arab Moi with armed insurgency  in the seventies or early eighties. Only a Somali “ Madax Faluuq” who never thinks about time and space would indulge those kind of thoughts. 

Replacing Siyad Barre or regime change in Somali in 1985 meant destroying all of Somalia from Zaylac to Kismaayo. Tthere were no other ways. 

The angry tribes put aside of everything and were hell bent of destroying the country for good and let  the chips fall where they may. 

Afwayne's apologists would rather blame the people who refused to become second citizens in their own country, rather than the blood thirsty regime.

Mingsitu of Ethiopia might have been a bloody dictator, but he was a nationalist. You can never accused of him not loving his country. You can see it from Eritrea's cities where they are as beaufiful as they were during the Italian era, today. You can see it from the way people were when TPLF rolled in and took over peaceful cities and communities that were not warring at each other. Unlike Afwayne who pitted Somali clans against one another, armed to the teeth friendly ones, hence leaving the country divided and deadly. 

The SNM on the other hand, initiated the healing process, organised peace conferences and started nation building. And became the first liberation force to volunteerly handover power to civilian leadership. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maakhiri has a point. Siyaad Barre, no matter how much he is loved or hated, was more effective than any other Somali leader before him or after him with the exception of Maxamad Ibraahim Cigaal. Cigaal built Somaliland's government institutions before he died. Other than these two men, no politician has ever left any tangible legacy in the Horn of Africa. Somaliland was rebuilt from scratch and is today more developed and prosperous than it has ever been, but this is not the result of any government intervention. Rather it is the hard work and entrepreneurial skills of the public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Suldaanka said:

Afwayne's apologists would rather blame the people who refused to become second citizens in their own country, rather than the blood thirsty regime.

No one is blaming the people but the So-called leaders who today run different sections of the former Republic will be and frankly should be measured against Siyaad Barre and the other politicians of yesteryears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tallaabo said:

No one is blaming the people but the So-called leaders who today run different sections of the former Republic will be and frankly should be measured against Siyaad Barre and the other politicians of yesteryears. 

Tallaabo,

Well lets play a "counter-factual" little game in here, and say lets put Somaliland of 1991 into a "time--travelling-machine" and take her back into 1960 with no level of the destruction of the kind she had by 1991. And then when you got her there give her thirty (30) years of peace as well as a "legal recognition" of its statehood, in-terms of her having a recognized government from 1960 onward to 1991. And then add all the bilateral and multilateral financial assistance of the kind that then Somali Republic has gotten between the years of 1960 - 1991 from the both super-powers of that era, namely the then USSR (and its allies) and USA (and its allies) into Somaliland's coffers. And then, finally, ask yourself this simple question.

Which is, as to where Somaliland will be in 2018 in relation to the position she is now in, if all of that "set of miracle circumstances" were to have been given to her, say, from 1991 onward?

Meaning if from 1991 onward Somaliland had no national destruction to contend with, and she was given all the "financial aid" of the kind Somali Republic had gotten from world during the years between 1960 till 1991, which means that kind of help was given to Somaliland from 1991 onward, and then the world as an extra help to her, has decided to recognized her statehood from 1991, then where do you think Somaliland will be in today's world of 2018 in "comparison" to the "actual reality" in which she is now living it in this year of 2018?

You see the point that I am getting in here, my friend? Which is to say, that, what the likes of Galbeedi is missing in his argument is that his argument is without "context". And in particularly of the kind of "historical context" and the unique situation in which Somaliland have faced since 1991.

Of course, the likes of Gooni in here are the sort of folks who are essentially "illiterate", both in small way and in a larger sense. And I mean that in the most fundamental way. So I am not counting on him to get the "gist" of this sort of "comparative arguments" or discourse of this kind.  

To him all that matters is that his uncle Afweyne have build few factories in the then Somali Republic, even if he had destroyed most of them by the time he was done in 1991. Moreover, for to him the "context of the time", in the sense of Somali Republic getting all the "financial goods" and help it had gotten during from 1969 to early 1980s, due the super-power competition and due to the Arab petro-dollar aid that was an "open spigot" for Somali State given that the Arabs were trying to stop the Communists doctrine getting into the Muslim world, is not something he can actually comprehend it. And how that have made all the "difference in the world".

And he can't comprehend as to how that "international assistance", both from the East and from the West, had helped the build Somali Republic in the first few years after 1969 and after the military coup. This is the point he is so singularly missing, namely the "historical context" of the time and how that had actually "facilitated" what "little developmental activities" there were in the Somali Republic of that time, particularly up to early 1980s.

Hence, I don't usually waste time on him in actually showing him as to how he is talking about "oranges" and "apples" in here, particularly when he is comparing the period of from 1969 to early-1980s to the period of post-1991 in the Somali peninsula.

And in fact I would say with confidence that even a "banana-eating-monkey" who is being made as the leader of the Somali Republic of that era (say from 1969 till early 1980s) could have produced the same "Socio-developmental indices" as was produced by then Gen. Barre's regime in that same period, if on the other hand that mere monkey was also given the same "sets of favorable circumstances" which in turn had prevailed in the wider world of that era.

This is reality, our Maakhir and Galbeedi, are deliberately looking away from it. Which is understandable, given that if you take into account the "historical context", the "Geo-Political Context", and the "Economical Context", that indeed have prevailed in the global setting in which the Somali Republic was living it through during the era of its flourishing phase, then you will see there was a "no miracles" of any kind on the part of the leaders of the country.

But rather what was essentially there was a "set of fortuitous circumstances" that had allowed Somali Republic to rapidly develop from a "low-base" up from 1969 to the early 1980s. And then she started eating itself as soon as the West (in general) lose any interests in feeding Somali State, economically, in competition with the Soviet union (USSR).

And the reason was that, given that the West realize that the USSR was no longer an economical threat to them, and therefore they no longer need to feed some third world dictatorship with all sort of economical largess just to keep that country on their side of the East-West competition, which wasn't the case during the years of 1960s and 1970s, And this in turn was reason they were intend of helping the Somali state in its formative years. 

Subsequently, this meant that by early 1980s Somali State could not depend too much of economical largess from the West (or from East as well) other than to contend herself with the likes of the IMF with its "punishing structural programs" and its demand to allow the market fluctuation of the Somali Shilling. As well as her getting the likes of the World Bank demanding a massive regime-change to the tax system of the State, in the sense of reducing it as well as a "whole-sale privatization" of the State-Owned-Enterprises (SOEs).

Hence by then the true and the inherent "State ability" of the Somali Republic to actually sustain itself came to the fore, given that it was shone out of the every other "artificial support" it was getting from 1960 onward to all the way to early 1980s.

And at that point, Somali State reverted back to what it would have amounted to, if such lack of assistance was what she was borne into by 1960. And that meant a deep and a "gradual economical decline" immediately begun as soon as the large scale multilateral and bilateral aid to Somali Republic was stopped in 1980s, till it had collapse upon itself by early 1991.

Consequently, this kind of "contrast" and "comparison" of two period of the Somali peninsula, namely the period  between 1960 till 1991 (or at least up to early 1980s) on one hand, and the period between 1991 till now, are actually nothing less than comparing "oranges" to "apples".

And only those who are "historically illiterate" (like our Gooni), or those who are deliberately misleading themselves, like Galbeedi and Maakhir, given they ought to know better about these things, are liable to be so seen in "comparing" these two different "historical epoch" of the Somali peninsula. For no one else would otherwise be so silly enough to actually do it in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suldaanka, 

You are partially correct that at the end Siyaad Barre watched the country disintegrate in a chaos while he had an opportunity to leave peacefully or transfer power before the implosion.On the other hand Mengistu was air lifted and Ethiopia was saved by the west and others.

Yet,  major Eritrean cities were never invaded or taken over by insurgents. Mengistu killed more than 60 generals and murdered thousands in cold blooded purging . He murdered two presidents, and  burred King Haile Selassie in his office after he starved him to death. Siyaad Barre was small time tyrant  compared the real dictator Mengistu.

Imagine the second largest city of the country taken over by rebels. in that era Every leader would have used any means necessary to dislodge and bring authority. Even Cigaal bombed Burco to fight the 1994 rebels.

Since the people of the North eventually rebelled and became a poplar uprising, no force or dictator could have controlled them. In history , the public in general are correct if they rise because of oppression,  despite the consequences.

On the issue at hand of building things, in Somaliland , it is the people who achieved impossible and built things. Even when they celebrate the national day, 18 May, no one forces them to wear the colors but themselves. This love of the land in Somaliland is definitely much different than the rest of Somalis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OOdweyne,

It is true that Somaliland has started from the scratch. A friend told me that in 1992, he couldn't find a restaurant or a coffee shop to but a tea. In that contest, they achieved the impossible especially the combinations of the traditional order and modern constitution. 

Yet, on the government side, I see a lot of weakness and incompetence in terms of building public service institutions like, hospitals, water wells, public transportation projects and others. Just look at Hargeisa water project with over hundred million spent. These kind of projects could be done with less than $50 million dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wiilashaan la doodkoodu waa ka dhib badan yahay fuusto daloosha oo biyo lagu shubo

Dugsigaygii sare, muqdisho, galaaskaygii sadexaad waxaa macalimiin noo ahaa oo maadooyinka ugu dhibka badan noo dhigi arday ka timid waqooyi galbeed, hal sano oo qudha unbay naga koreeyeen, been idiin sheegi maayee kuwa lafoole kasoo baxay yaa ayaga wax waydiin jiray.

Maantana iska daa inay wax dhigaane ayagaa tahriibka laga ilaaliyaa oo hooyadood ag taagan tahay.

Lama sheegin muwaadin darajada labaad ahaa wakhtigii siyaad barre iyo 4.5 wax ha lagu qaybsado.

Maamulka snm jiilka cusub wuxuu u sheegay taariikh khaldan.

Wuxuu ku riday jah wareer dhan kasta ah, ha ugu darnaato kan nafsiga oo uu ka lumiyay kalsoonidii  ay walaalahood wax kula qaybsan lahaayeen.

Waxayna isu arkaan inaysan soomaalida kale la noolaan karin, ama iska uruuriyaan, inaysan hogaan soomaaliyeed noqon karin mid beeleed mooyee. 

Taas weeyaan muwaadin darajada labaad haddaad maqasho.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maakhiri, 

Sxb, intaan la gaarin waxa la miisaamayo, waxa haboon in marka hore, miisaanka  Maryooley ay wax saarto inay dib u eegaan inuu saxan yahay. 

Miisaan qaldan wax la saaray inuu natiijo sax ah keeno waa midaan la sugayn. 

Marka hore, aanu iswaydiino midka qiima badan, nafta iyo sharafta qofka Somaliaga ah markii loo barbar dhigo mashaariicda aad halkan soo dhigtay. 

Mida xigta, qofka masuul noqda, waxa la eegaa, maalintii uu masuuliyada qaaday iyo maalintii uu kategay/laga qaaday xilka, xaalada ay sugan yihiin  dalka iyo dadka uu masuulka ka ahaa. 

Mida kaloo muhiimadeeda leh waa inaanu meel isla dhigno, qofka masuuliyada loo dhiibtay ama faramaroorsaday, waxa saaran waajib ah in uu ilaaliyo nafta iyo sharafta dalka iyo dadka, asaga ayaana leh masuuliyada ugu danbeeysa wixii dhacay mudada uu xukunka hayo. 

Hadaan usoo noqdo ragii Maryoolay masuul usoo noqday. Ragii ka horeeyey Kacaanka, waa Halyeeyo aan helin mudnaanta ay leeyihiin in loo qiro, ayaga ayaana leh wanaaga tobanka sano ee hore Siyaad loo tiiriyo, waayo wuxuu ka dhaxlay ayuu wax ku dhisay. 

Kacaanka kadib, ragii masuuliyiinta noqday, maysan helin fursadda uu helay helay Siyaad, waxa kale oo nasiib daro ah in ay dhaxleen kuna mashquuleen la tacaalida iyo badbaadinta bukaankii uu Jaalle Siyaad geliyey Koomaha(Coma). Midwalaba oo ragaa kamid ahna waxuu kadegay masuuliyada asagoo wadanku dhaamo, ama lamid yahay maalintii uu madaxda ka noqday. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, YoniZ said:

Maakhiri, 

Sxb, intaan la gaarin waxa la miisaamayo, waxa haboon in marka hore, miisaanka  Maryooley ay wax saarto inay dib u eegaan inuu saxan yahay. 

Miisaan qaldan wax la saaray inuu natiijo sax ah keeno waa midaan la sugayn. 

Marka hore, aanu iswaydiino midka qiima badan, nafta iyo sharafta qofka Somaliaga ah markii loo barbar dhigo mashaariicda aad halkan soo dhigtay. 

Mida xigta, qofka masuul noqda, waxa la eegaa, maalintii uu masuuliyada qaaday iyo maalintii uu kategay/laga qaaday xilka, xaalada ay sugan yihiin  dalka iyo dadka uu masuulka ka ahaa. 

Mida kaloo muhiimadeeda leh waa inaanu meel isla dhigno, qofka masuuliyada loo dhiibtay ama faramaroorsaday, waxa saaran waajib ah in uu ilaaliyo nafta iyo sharafta dalka iyo dadka, asaga ayaana leh masuuliyada ugu danbeeysa wixii dhacay mudada uu xukunka hayo. 

Hadaan usoo noqdo ragii Maryoolay masuul usoo noqday. Ragii ka horeeyey Kacaanka, waa Halyeeyo aan helin mudnaanta ay leeyihiin in loo qiro, ayaga ayaana leh wanaaga tobanka sano ee hore Siyaad loo tiiriyo, waayo wuxuu ka dhaxlay ayuu wax ku dhisay. 

Kacaanka kadib, ragii masuuliyiinta noqday, maysan helin fursadda uu helay helay Siyaad, waxa kale oo nasiib daro ah in ay dhaxleen kuna mashquuleen la tacaalida iyo badbaadinta bukaankii uu Jaalle Siyaad geliyey Koomaha(Coma). Midwalaba oo ragaa kamid ahna waxuu kadegay masuuliyada asagoo wadanku dhaamo, ama lamid yahay maalintii uu madaxda ka noqday. 

 

 

Waa ku salaamey bro, Taariikhda dib u raac, xukumadihii siyaad ka horeeyey runta markaan ku dheego, kuwa maanta waa ka liiteen, bal dib u raac oo wayso, Taariilhdaa dib akhri, gabayadii dhegeeyso.

Tuugo bay wada ahaayeen, doorasho been ah, bal ku noqo, wadanka inta mashaariic laga hirgeliyey intee baa qabsoontay ka hor 1969?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waxaan berri dhowayd la kulmey nin Somali ah, oo reer SL ah, qof macquul ah buu ahaa waxa uu ii sheegay in uu aad iyo aad u dadaaley,  dugsiga sare, ka dibna helay scholarship, reerkii soo macasalaameeyey ilaa Burco, soo noqday, basaboor la soo baxay, magaciisa iyo saaxiibadii jariirada 21ka October lagu qoray, asxaabtii sii macasalaameeyey, madaarka, airportka tegay, ka dibna la xirey, Waa iska fahmey markiiba isaga asxaabtii, Arooryadii baa la siidaayey, loona sheegay in magaciisii lagu baxay!Galbeedi waa ka badbaadey, waxyaabaha wadanka lagu noco weeye!

Xukun askari waa dhib badanyahay, shookaanta si khaldan baa looga qaadey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Oodweyne said:

Tallaabo,

Well lets play a "counter-factual" little game in here, and say lets put Somaliland of 1991 into a "time--travelling-machine" and take her back into 1960 with no level of the destruction of the kind she had by 1991. And then when you got her there give her thirty (30) years of peace as well as a "legal recognition" of its statehood, in-terms of her having a recognized government from 1960 onward to 1991. And then add all the bilateral and multilateral financial assistance of the kind that then Somali Republic has gotten between the years of 1960 - 1991 from the both super-powers of that era, namely the then USSR (and its allies) and USA (and its allies) into Somaliland's coffers. And then, finally, ask yourself this simple question.

Which is, as to where Somaliland will be in 2018 in relation to the position she is now in, if all of that "set of miracle circumstances" were to have been given to her, say, from 1991 onward?

Meaning if from 1991 onward Somaliland had no national destruction to contend with, and she was given all the "financial aid" of the kind Somali Republic had gotten from world during the years between 1960 till 1991, which means that kind of help was given to Somaliland from 1991 onward, and then the world as an extra help to her, has decided to recognized her statehood from 1991, then where do you think Somaliland will be in today's world of 2018 in "comparison" to the "actual reality" in which she is now living it in this year of 2018?

You see the point that I am getting in here, my friend? Which is to say, that, what the likes of Galbeedi is missing in his argument is that his argument is without "context". And in particularly of the kind of "historical context" and the unique situation in which Somaliland have faced since 1991.

Of course, the likes of Gooni in here are the sort of folks who are essentially "illiterate", both in small way and in a larger sense. And I mean that in the most fundamental way. So I am not counting on him to get the "gist" of this sort of "comparative arguments" or discourse of this kind.  

To him all that matters is that his uncle Afweyne have build few factories in the then Somali Republic, even if he had destroyed most of them by the time he was done in 1991. Moreover, for to him the "context of the time", in the sense of Somali Republic getting all the "financial goods" and help it had gotten during from 1969 to early 1980s, due the super-power competition and due to the Arab petro-dollar aid that was an "open spigot" for Somali State given that the Arabs were trying to stop the Communists doctrine getting into the Muslim world, is not something he can actually comprehend it. And how that have made all the "difference in the world".

And he can't comprehend as to how that "international assistance", both from the East and from the West, had helped the build Somali Republic in the first few years after 1969 and after the military coup. This is the point he is so singularly missing, namely the "historical context" of the time and how that had actually "facilitated" what "little developmental activities" there were in the Somali Republic of that time, particularly up to early 1980s.

Hence, I don't usually waste time on him in actually showing him as to how he is talking about "oranges" and "apples" in here, particularly when he is comparing the period of from 1969 to early-1980s to the period of post-1991 in the Somali peninsula.

And in fact I would say with confidence that even a "banana-eating-monkey" who is being made as the leader of the Somali Republic of that era (say from 1969 till early 1980s) could have produced the same "Socio-developmental indices" as was produced by then Gen. Barre's regime in that same period, if on the other hand that mere monkey was also given the same "sets of favorable circumstances" which in turn had prevailed in the wider world of that era.

This is reality, our Maakhir and Galbeedi, are deliberately looking away from it. Which is understandable, given that if you take into account the "historical context", the "Geo-Political Context", and the "Economical Context", that indeed have prevailed in the global setting in which the Somali Republic was living it through during the era of its flourishing phase, then you will see there was a "no miracles" of any kind on the part of the leaders of the country.

But rather what there was essentially was a "set of fortuitous circumstances" that had allowed Somali Republic to rapidly develop from a "low-base" up from 1969 to the early 1980s. And then she started eating itself as soon as the West (in general) lose any interests in feeding Somali State, economically, in competition with the Soviet union (USSR).

And the reason was that, given that the West realize that the USSR was no longer an economical threat to them, and therefore they no longer need to feed some third world dictatorship with all sort of economical largess just to keep that country on their side of the East-West competition, which wasn't the case during the years of 1960s and 1970s, And this in turn was reason they were intend of helping the Somali state in its formative years. 

Subsequently, this meant that by early 1980s Somali State could not depend too much of economical largess from the West (or from East as well) other than to contend herself with the likes of the IMF with its "punishing structural programs" and its demand to allow the market fluctuation of the Somali Shilling. As well as her getting the likes of the World Bank demanding a massive regime-change to the tax system of the State, in the sense of reducing it as well as a "whole-sale privatization" of the State-Owned-Enterprises (SOEs).

Hence by then the true and the inherent "State ability" of the Somali Republic to actually sustain itself came to the fore, given that it was shone out of the every other "artificial support" it was getting from 1960 onward to all the way to early 1980s. And at that point, Somali State reverted back to what it would have amounted to, if such lack of assistance was she was borne into by 1960, which was a "gradual economical decline" till it had collapse upon itself by 1991.

Consequently, this kind of "contrast" and "comparison" of two period of the Somali peninsula, namely the period  between 1960 till 1991 (or at least up to early 1980s) on one hand, and the period between 1991 till now, are actually nothing less than comparing "oranges" to "apples".

And only those who are "historically illiterate" (like our Gooni), or those who are deliberately misleading themselves, like Galbeedi and Maakhir, given they ought to know better about these things, are liable to be so seen in "comparing" these two different "historical epoch" of the Somali peninsula. For no one else would otherwise be so silly enough to actually do it in the first place.

Oodwaynoow, Somaliland is not without assistance or friends. It also receives many millions of dollars in aid. Also its government collections millions of dollars from the hard pressed public every single year. Indeed, every year without a fail, tax collectors(gangsters) from the Hargeisa municipality come to my mum's home and on many occasions removed the metal doors of the gate just because she either forgot or was a bit late with the payment of the annual property tax(baad). 

Now tell me what has the governments of Somaliland done in all those thirty years? Ceelkeebay qodeen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talaabo, canshuurta gurigga hooyaday ku jirto ontime baanu ku bixinaa albaabkeedda cidi uma soo dhawaato ee islaanta canshuurta ka bixi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, galbeedi said:

Suldaanka, 

You are partially correct that at the end Siyaad Barre watched the country disintegrate in a chaos while he had an opportunity to leave peacefully or transfer power before the implosion.On the other hand Mengistu was air lifted and Ethiopia was saved by the west and others.

Yet,  major Eritrean cities were never invaded or taken over by insurgents. Mengistu killed more than 60 generals and murdered thousands in cold blooded purging . He murdered two presidents, and  burred King Haile Selassie in his office after he starved him to death. Siyaad Barre was small time tyrant  compared the real dictator Mengistu.

Imagine the second largest city of the country taken over by rebels. in that era Every leader would have used any means necessary to dislodge and bring authority. Even Cigaal bombed Burco to fight the 1994 rebels.

Since the people of the North eventually rebelled and became a poplar uprising, no force or dictator could have controlled them. In history , the public in general are correct if they rise because of oppression,  despite the consequences.

On the issue at hand of building things, in Somaliland , it is the people who achieved impossible and built things. Even when they celebrate the national day, 18 May, no one forces them to wear the colors but themselves. This love of the land in Somaliland is definitely much different than the rest of Somalis. 

@galbeedi 

 You said this because it is very obvious that you have no clue or have no first hand information regarding the SNM vs SNA wars in the North. 

It was the SNA that militarised urban centres, after they were decisively defeated in the countryside.

In camparison, when Mingistu was defeated in the country side of Eritrea, his forces withdrew to Tigray region and Afar area in Asab. They didn't do what Afwayne did when he was defeated. 

Afwayne wuu u dagaalamay sidii gunta. And that will forever be an ignoble mark on his rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tallaabo,

Saaxib, I have feeling that your quite understandable "mischief-making" attempt, or perhaps in more charitable sense your desire to play always the "devil's advocate", sometimes get the better of you. And I mean that in that most innocently observing way possible, so don't read nothing else from it.

And by that I mean, I find it difficult that you would ask that question of what Somaliland's government have done in close to the last thirty (30) years or so in developmental sense and in-terms of what government was supposed to do. For that question strikes me as if it had come from someone who basically just arrived from "Planet Mars" few hours ago, and then just thought to himself to go and find out, at least as a "passing lark", as to what on earth these Somalilanders in here in SOL are always yapping on about it.

But since I know better than that, and since I do also know that you are much more clued-up about Somaliland than what the "first read" of that question may be liable to indicate, then I will take that as your way to "troll" us (with a touch of a devilish humor) at best. Or at worse, I will take it as your way to tweak our noses out of joint, just that you will make us all "hot-and-bothered" under our collar (as it were). 

But be that as it may, still one can say, that, the essence of the argument that I have put to you in that post above, is essentially the "holistic context" you need to understand if you want to compare and contrast Somaliland (from 1991 onward) on one hand. And what alternative Somaliland could have existed out there in a different set of circumstances, which is the essence of what your question is angling to ask. 

Moreover by "set of fortuitous circumstances" I was there on the ground in Somaliland on April/May of 1991, when the whole "political project" of Somaliland got going from the ground up. And to be frank in here, there was no country, no nation, not even a building to work on as a government's offices, much less said about having anything larger than that. And the folks of the country were essentially in the refugees camps of Ethiopia. For they haven't returned yet at that time, or at least the bulk of them were still in those camps.

Hence to contrast that reality back then to today, and knowing for a fact that there was no large-scale "Marshal plan sort of developmental assistance" that was given to Somaliland by the international community (IC) just to recover from that destruction, to build institutions of government, to restore law-and-order, and just to put the folks there on a path of economical recovery, was nothing less than "miracle".

And it's indeed an "observed miracle" on any one's book, if that is, they are minded to actually ask a deeper question of how any nation gets to be develop from a deeply disadvantage position of a being caught on a low-base of a total destruction.

Furthermore, do you know for a fact that there was not a single developmental project that had happen in the Somali Republic (from 1960 to 1991) that was done by Somali tax-payers. And every one of the "Mashaariic" (or projects) in which our Maakhir is peddling in here of SOL, were actually projects that were based on aid given to then Somali State on a bilateral or multilateral assistance basis. And in that sense, you can say that the world had paid good money far more to Somali Republic than they have ever done to Somaliland, at least from a historical perspective of things.

However as of now, or at least since the end of the Cold-War, the Western's nations have stopped to give that kind of a larger scale sort of developmental assistance to anyone. And this in turn means they will not even do for the present day Federal government of Somalia what they used to do for Gen. Barre's government when it comes to a large scale developmental projects for the country, even if peace returned to Somalia in one future day. For that period of the world's history where poor third world countries are given free money to develop their economies are over from the western's perspective. Only China may do it for you from here on out, if that is you get lucky with them.

Again, let me re-emphasize the point and say that what was given to Somaliland as a form of financial assistance by the international community (IC) was essentially so meager that it was nothing more than few millions of dollars that could even scarcely cover the cost of re-building of the state (i.e., the police, the military, law-and-order, schooling) and the rest. For it's a fact that the international community (IC) didn't actually came to do anything larger than that. Also it was only from 2013 onward in which they have said it that we will give you the kind of "small-potatoes of financial assistance" through the Somaliland developmental fund (SDF). And that is even less than 100 millions per year.

Now compare that to what Gen. Barre's regime used to get from 1969 till early 1980s, which was to the tune of "half a billions dollars" of aid money from various multilateral assistance-giving outfits around the world, particularly from the likes of the EU, from the Eastern's block countries, and from the Arab world.

You can actually find the "figures of that kind", particularly what the then Somali Republic had gotten in totality from the World Bank's old record in each year from 1960 onward. And then you can "translate" those figures into today's dollar money (meaning taking into account the "fluctuation" of the dollar along the way from the period of 1960 to 1991). This in turn will tell you in-terms of how much in today's money the then Somali Republic had gotten as a kind of assistance from the wider world during the whole time of its existence.

And on top of that, Gen. Barre took over from 1969 a "functioning state" that is not destroyed to the ground similar to what Somaliland had to content with by mid 1991 onward, which was when the folks there come home from the refugees camps of Ethiopia and then started to rebuild their shattered land.

No, I am afraid, that is not on really. And it's seriously a "poor way of argumentation" on your part, if I may allow myself to be bit snide at your expense in here. In fact, and in actuality, since I came to think things through in the brief moment I was writing this answer to you, I have actually realized that question you have asked says more about your deeply "warped sense of evaluating" things than it says otherwise for itself as a standing question to which to pose others to. 

Finally, as "anecdotal evidence" of what Somaliland has achieved can literally be gleaned from the fact that I have recently, in the sense of this last summer (as was my habit in every summer in every year) took a country-wide touristic travel thorough Somaliland, And did so with a rented four-wheel drive from Borama (of Awdal region) to all the way to Maydh (i.e., my ancestral town) of Sanaag region. And through the length of that distance in which I have traveled I have had no sort of hindrance of any kind, be they a local criminality along the way, or be they any other "insecurity issues" in the length of my travel.

Hence, to see that sense of state that had genuinely secured its "internal peace", even if its still an unrecognized under-developed African state in the midst of this horn-of-Africa's region is really something else. Which in turn is something that is bordering a political feet to which marvel at, indeed.

Try to do that in Somalia. Or even in the present-time Ethiopia, where law-and order is fast collapsing (or breaking-down) outside of the big cities of that country. And then lets get back in here to discuss as to what Somaliland has done for itself in close to thirty (30) years or so of a period of a time of its existence so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

And on top of that, Gen. Barre take took over from 1969 a "functioning state" that is not destroyed to the ground similar to what Somaliland had to content with by mid 1991 onward, which was when they come home from the refugees camps of Ethiopia to rebuild their shattered land.

Not only a functioning state but also the people back then were humans. In 1991, the people have been to hell and back and their mental/physical and complete humanity was lost. Just the task and effort it took to sort out the land dispute would have been enough to make anyone give up. Leave alone the disarmament of civilians and bringing law and order back.

You can build infrastructure but the build the humanity in people is much harder task. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead