Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

To fast or not to fast

Another so-called Muslims of hala i maqlo, another Western paper over-indulging them, another...

Some harassed libertarians say you should be free not to observe Ramadan

The law in several countries, mostly in the Persian Gulf but also in the Maghreb and parts of Indonesia, provides for stiffer penalties for those who break fast in public, ranging from fines to flogging. Take article 222 of Morocco’s penal code, dating from the era of the French protectorate, which states that “a person commonly known to be Muslim who violates the fast in a public place during Ramadan, without having one of the justifications allowed by Islam [such as travelling or sickness], shall be punished by one to six months in prison,” as well as a fine.

Last Ramadan, a small group of young Moroccans calling itself the Alternative Movement for Individual Freedoms decided to hold a picnic near Casablanca, the country’s commercial capital, to protest against this law. They argue that article 222 clashes with Morocco’s international obligations and its constitution, which guarantee freedom of conscience. They were arrested before getting a chance to take a bite.

This picnic protest was treated as a national emergency. A council of Islamic scholars said it was an insult to God. King Muhammad VI’s political adviser persuaded all parties, including ones that routinely denounce Islamists, to issue condemnations for the sake of national unity. The activists were held and interrogated for several days, though ultimately not fined or taken to court. Police said they had to be protected from popular anger. Some of the protesters’ families and friends refused to speak to them for months.

“We respect religion, but the problem is that people think public space is only for the majority who are believers,” says Najib Chaouki, one of the campaigners. He is not, for now, planning to repeat last year’s picnic but has relaunched his campaign for the right not to fast in public spaces. He has featured in reports on al Arabiya and al Jazeera, the Arab world’s most popular satellite news channels. His website and Facebook group have had hundreds of comments.

Some support him but most call him an apostate or lament that he and his friends do not tackle issues such as poverty. He has had several death threats. Only a handful of Moroccans, such as the editors of the country’s first gay magazine (published for the time being in Spain), have backed the non-fasters.

Voltaire   

Another so-called Muslims of hala i maqlo, another Western paper over-indulging them, another...

Posting a perfectly fine article and accompanying it with such a lame comment with no explanation whatsoever reflects poorly on you.

N.O.R.F   

Should it be OK for those not fasting to eat/drink/smoke in public in a Muslim country?

I wondered why it was the case and had the same view as the writer but after a while, not coming across people eating/drinking/smoking in Ramadan, is very much appreciated.

The Morrocan law, although the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime, appears logical to me. It's respectful not to eat in public, if you can help it, when the majority of the populace are fasting.

NGONGE   

The government should allow these guys to have their picnic. It should also change the law so that there is no punishment for eating openly in public during Ramadan. No policeman should be near when these guys tuck into their picnic and when the angry mob tucks into them. :D

Ismalura   

The article is one of the many many pieces of trash that aim at nothing but to give Islam a bad name. These so called writers and Islamic experts need to give us a break walahi.

Having said that I don't think that the government or the puplic should punish any one for eating in puplic on ramadan. I understand they meant disrespect but some times you just have to let people do what they want to do and let them meet thier creator. Just my opinion.

chubacka   

Indeed they are free not to observe Ramadan, but they are not free to make a drama out of it and hold a picnic!

rebels without a cause comes to mind.

They are free to do so according to Moroccan law, lol.

Seriously, Six months of hard for time a picnic? Talk about an ugly ending. This is really shocking, Morocco is supposed to be one of the more liberal nations in this neck of the woods. Good on those dissidents for standing up to this injustice, if it were not for people like them...

MMA, sida ilbax lagu mooda ayad waxan oo kale la soo timida meesha, kee tuujiye miyad la jogta ayamahan?