Sign in to follow this  
LayZie G.

No such thing as a Swiss Muslim: A Muslim's perspective on banning the Minaret

The debate about banning the Minaret in the great old Swiss Confederacy has taken a noise dive as of late and there is a possibility that the Swiss will fold in the polls when they vote for the faith of the Minaret in the administered referendum on this sunday, November 29, 2009.

In part, the federal government and the lobbyist group for the rich merchants are spreading a campaign of fear mongering among the swiss. They are spreading the coming of suicide campaigns , i'e the coming of a "Swiss 9/11" and about "Al-Qaida threat", economic decline due to trade with Arab states, which means put the fear in the swiss to 'vote No' for Minaret, so on and so on.

On the other hand, the conservative party which were beastly like in planting hate in the hearts of the Swiss nationalist with the assistance of various christian coalitions are using similar tactics to get a 'Yes vote' in banning the building of future Minaret in Swiss territory.

For this reason, I have no choice but to take the side of the debate that bans all form of Minarets and its because of no other reason except for the following articles outlined below:

1) Swiss do not owe any explanation in banning a Minaret, just as they owe no explanation to why they resisted to joining fully with the league of nations in the early part of the 20th century.(they did reserve especial rights which was exceptional on the part of the Swiss) Just as they hesitated to becoming a UN member, which took a good 80yrs+ before they decided to formally join the membership of the United Nations.(for those of you that do not know, it was an extension of the original league of nation coalition)

In addition, the people of Switzerland, whose framework for statehood has been just as effective if not better than any current federal system have taught us(the world) that they will not sit idle, instead they will be political activists and engage in the political discourse of the country. They refuse to be political spectators and for that reason, no amount of fear mongering will deter the swiss from taking to the polls on sunday and voting yes for the ban of minaret. To this date, the government has no choice but to fully compile to the wishes of the Swiss people in rejecting the EU application, a remarkable period in the ever growing history of the swiss people.

2)No such thing as "Swiss Muslim".

If you are a Muslim and a Swiss 'citizen", banning the Minaret should be the least of your worries because you, the Swiss 'Muslim Citizen' have other alternatives when it comes to taking up the subject of prayer.

For example, you can pray in the confinement of your home. You, the 'Muslim Citizen" of the Swiss Confederacy can rent a community hall for prayers on special occasions. Equally as important, you can purchase a commercial building and turn it to a community center, which can house prayer halls as well as business for community outreach programs without the fancy involved in building elaborate Minaret in Switzerland.

3) The Swiss have overcome the griefs of major historical conflicts in their territory. They survived two world wars, as well as second to the longest War of European history, the 30yrs war all without directly engaging any one faction in either side and still came out on top and neutral as ever.

4) Historically, the Swiss were known to come together at times of great uncertainties through perseverance. They build coalition of communities that makes up their various cantons today. It is an ancient passed time for those of you that lack knowledge in the Swiss affairs. Part of the reason they expanded on their various cantons was their effectiveness in voting for local issues that affected them as a community. It not only improved trading relations but it made them stronger to have support in defending their territory with the help and support of neighbouring communities against foreign invaders. They knew the community of one was not as affective as the community of many and no amount of fear mongering and backlash from interest groups would deter them from going to the voting booths on sunday.

All in all, a yes vote on sunday is less likely but I felt I should add my two cent into the debate for I have been a silent observer on the issue of 'Islamization' in Europe until now.

Filed by: LayZieG

If they ban Mosque Minaret in effect they are showing their intolerance of Islamic places of worship and it creates a message that Muslims are not welcome in Swizerland and its Muslim citizens will become second class citizens. This is the start of silippery slope where the next target will be to ban hijab for Muslim women, then ban Muslims from worshipping in Mosques or Public places. I think the Swiss people are wise enough to reject this ban and realize that discrimination is harmful to its Muslim citizens and counter productive for the country as a whole.

Malika   

These are exciting times,changes are coming to Europe and in some places it might take a bit longer but eventually,it will get there.

Our forefathers,observed Cathedrals being buildt in their lands,even though they objected,now its time the citizens of these lands sit and observe Mosques with towering minarets buildt in their back yards..And its a wonderful feeling being part of history in the making.

* off to a meeting,planning for our official opening day for the first Muslim School in our town*

chant with me ' changings are coming '

:D:D

ps.Google 'Hindu Temples'in Switzerland and tell me if this is referendum isn't one about 'anti Islam'..If they can tolerate colorful towering buildings of a Hindu temple ,what is their objection with a minaret/mosque?

Oh,well! We are here to stay,and our way of life is here to stay,that includes not only buildings but mostly making sure changes in policies are taking place. ;)

^lol, waxaan qosol wey dhaafeen@malika but whatever you do dear, do not and I mean do not share the minutes of the meeting. As for Hindu temples in Switzerland, do your best to guess the number of dioceses in India, only then would you understand the tradition of Temples and their place in western society but it doesn't mean that you can't present an argument for the ban of Minaret, besides stating the obvious.... Remember, the topic is about Minaret and only about Minarets.

Peace Action, I have no choice but to respectfully disagree with you, waayo, Muslims or people of any faith are welcome in Switzerland. The Swiss, from what has been reported have not come out to take up a vote in rejecting visitors and immigrants of Muslim faith. What they reject is the demand of a particular group of people who look to cause trouble and assert their authority in foreign lands and demand special rights while the same courtesy is not extended to other faiths, especially people of Christian faith in Islamic states.

For example, the Kingdom does not allow the building of dioceses in its territory, why should a Muslim demand to build a Minaret in Switzerland or any christian state? Who are they do demand anything of their host country when the same practices are not extended to people of other faiths for the sake of tolerance? Who are we to criticize Switzerland for taking up a stand in preserving their heritage? Their laws dictate that issues of importance are decided by the people and if they vote down the building of Minarets in their soil, thats their prerogative

,just as its the kingdom's prerogative to vote on the building of churches in the holly land.

As much as it saddens me about the crisis of Muslims in foreign lands and the polorization of "anything Islam" to score political points by some foreign actors, Islam itself is getting a bad rep because its a tolerant religion but its people are not kind to other faiths, for that reason, I ask you all to reconsider your position when it comes to issues of Islamization in Europe. You can not force your religion on anyone, especially non-Muslims. The prophet, (bless be upon him) did not and no Muslim has a right to reject other faiths and if you have non muslims living in Muslim states, you should be respectful of their faith and allow them to practice it openly as long as they are respectful of yours. This isn't science, you want special consideration for your faith, extend the same courtesy that we expect for ourselves in Europe/America or any part of the world for non Muslims, only then can we truly sit down and discuss assimilation and toleration of different faiths in the globalized world we live in today.

GeelJire, predictable as ever. Now why did you have to ruin your last chance to become an Ambassador of Islam? :D

Unknown fella, if you really wanted your question answered you would go back and re-read my earlier post.

Indeed North, change has come to the Swiss.

Today, Sunday, November 29th, 2009 Democracy Prevailed in Switzerland:

Early exit poll report revealed that the Swiss not only voted to Ban the Minaret but more than half of the 26 Cantons that make up the Swiss Confederacy have voted in support of a Ban.

The Swiss on the exit poll results

The BBC on early projections

The fair and balanced news portal of Al-Jazeera on early predictions

chubacka   

^ Not sure why this makes you so happy, this is already causing trouble for muslims in this small country.

"This will cause major problems because during this campaign in the last two weeks different mosques were attacked, which we never experienced in 40 years in Switzerland"

Tamir Hadjipolu

Zurich's Association of Muslim Organisations .

Jacpher   

Lazy, too early to celebrate. Muslims still have the freedom to built new mosques and call athan to pray.

Where's the referendum to bring back Hitler.