Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

Illinois Governor Charged With Trying to Sell Obama's Senate Seat

Kool_Kat   

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich appeared in court Tuesday afternoon to hear federal corruption charges against him. He was released on $4,500 bail.

The governor, who appeared in court in a blue jogging suit, also had to forfeit his passport.

FBI agents arrested Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris, early Tuesday on federal corruption charges related in part to the selection of President-elect Barack Obama's successor to the Senate, the U.S. attorney's office said.

U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald declared Tuesday a "sad day for government."

"Gov. Blagojevich has taken us to a new low," he said. "This conduct would make [Abraham] Lincoln roll over in his grave."

Lincoln was a congressman from Illinois before becoming president.

Fitzgerald said the government had bugged the governor's campaign office and placed a tap on his home phone.

Each was charged with a count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and a count of solicitation of bribery, authorities said. Watch: Fitzgerald discusses the charges »

In a 76-page affidavit, federal authorities said wiretaps caught Blagojevich conspiring to sell or trade the vacant Senate seat in exchange for financial benefits for himself and his wife, Patti.

The governor also often weighed the option of appointing himself to the Senate seat, saying he was "stuck" at governor and might have access to more resources as a senator than as a governor, the affidavit says. A Senate seat could also help him remake his image ahead of a possible presidential run in 2016. "If ... they're not going to offer anything of any value, then I might just take it," he said in one conversation.

Obama reacted at a news conference on Tuesday.

"Obviously, like the rest of the people of Illinois, I am saddened and sobered by the news that came out of the U.S. attorney's office today," he said. "But as this is an ongoing investigation involving the governor, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the issue at this time."

Read more and video link.

art.gov.gi.jpg

Gotta love the hair! :D

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

So he was a seat-pirate ,,,
:D

Piracy is a way of life these days, duh...S/land should give it a try, may be finally iney DUUSHO! icon_razz.gif

**Waa duulisteeniyoo dayaxaa, dayaxaa, aynu aadnee** Waah, waah...

Pujah   

Here is a classic case of The pot calling the kettle black

A disgrace to the state

By Dan Walker

December 11, 2008

While I admittedly erred in my private life 10 years after serving as Illinois governor—and paid the price for my mistakes—I am too proud of my state and my unblemished service as governor to remain silent about the despicable conduct of Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The 76-page criminal complaint's incredible account of corruption is based on Blagojevich's taped conversations. In Shakespeare's words, he is hoisted with his own petard. The complaint ranks with Al Capone in establishing a disgraceful image of Illinois in the minds of people all over the world.

Just as with Richard Nixon, we don't need a trial to comment on this sordid story. The government's representation of the tapes alone establish that Blagojevich believed a seat in the U.S. Senate could be sold to the highest bidder. Not just any seat, but the one vacated by President-elect Barack Obama.

Blagojevich's attorney said his client "would not resign because he didn't do anything wrong." And then he added that what the governor did was "just politics." Is it just politics to assert, as Blagojevich is taped as saying, that the "Senate seat is "a [expletive] valuable thing, you just don't give it away for nothing"?

If attempts to sell a seat in the U.S. Senate were "just politics," not subject to criminal punishment, then politics in America has really fallen into a sad state.

What's a Senate seat worth? In Blagojevich's mind, up to $1 million. And he actually had the gall to believe (or so he says) that he could involve the president-elect in his nefarious schemes.

In the taped conversations, Blagojevich also bragged repeatedly about using his gubernatorial powers to obtain campaign contributions. Seats on state regulatory boards were allegedly sold by his cronies for huge campaign contributions.

The Chicago Tribune has traced many contributions of $25,000 to Blagojevich's campaigns and found that many of the donors received a quid pro quo of some sort.

Illinois now has undisputed top billing in the governmental pay-to-play game. That's saying quite a lot because that game has players from coast to coast in all levels of government.

As the conviction of former Illinois Gov. George Ryan made clear, one of the worst abuses of power in state government is the use of state employees to raise money for the boss. Blagojevich brags about doing just that.

Thirty-five years ago, I prohibited that rampant practice by executive order. Since then, governor after governor has engaged in it.

What can be done to prevent Blagojevich from continuing his spree of corruption? Immediate impeachment by the Illinois legislature appears to be the best alternative. And impeachment does not preclude prosecution for crimes committed. If he tries to escape impeachment by grabbing the Senate seat for himself, he still should face prosecution.

This man's "business model" is too damaging to the public's confidence in government to allow justice to be thwarted.

Former Illinois Gov. Dan Walker served 18 months in the federal prison in Duluth, Minn., for bank fraud unrelated to his public duties. He

is the author of "The Maver-

ick and the Machine: Governor Dan Walker Tells His Story."

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

43829293.jpg