Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Poet schoolgirl only learned English three years ago(Mariam Hassan 11)

Paragon   

Poet schoolgirl only learned English three years ago

Nov 19 2009 Ealing Gazette

eg-uploads-nov25-image-4-854367670.jpg Mariam Hassan, 11

A TALENTED schoolgirl has won the chance to have her poem published, despite only being able to speak English for three years when she wrote it.

Mariam Hassan, 11, beat thousands of entries to be included in the Big Green Poetry Machine which will be published next year.

She wrote the piece, entitled The Cost of Litter, in class last year at Horsenden Primary School in Greenford.

Born in Somalia, Mariam only came to Britain in 2005.

The pupil, of Drew Gardens, Greenford, said: "I was really surprised to be chosen for the book. I didn't expect it at all, it was the first poem I'd ever written."

Elizabeth Walton, headteacher at Horsenden Primary, said: "The school is very proud of Mariam's achievements and we hope her writing will continue to flourish."

Ealing Gazette

Sophist   

^ For the love of God, she is a child of 11!

Topic: Well done to young sister, May Allah guide her though the rocky slips that is life.

Sophist

Ibtisam   

^^ :D Apparently 11yr olds are fair game to some.

Well done to the sister. I hope she is successful in this world and the hereafter.

Aaliyyah   

mashallah congrats to the lil girl. Hope all works out for her and that she grows up to be a pious sister that benefits both her muslim ummah and somali community. Keep up the good work Mariam!!

salaam

Paragon   

Allamagan, I haven't been lucky to get hold of the poem as of yet. Hopefully soon.

PS: Maryam Warsame, our other poet, is doing great as well. She has gone to S. Africa early this month to a poetry slam. That is addition to her 2007 poetry championship. Good news all round.

Malika   

I will be interested to know what is her background,when and where did the seed for the love of poems embedded in her.

Is her poetics a product of biology or environment..

Masha'allah to the young girl!

AU,bisinka!! I hope there are no 11 year old on SOL. :D you and the girls on SOL..heh