Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Inferiority complex

Curly   

This isn’t another one of those battle of sexes SOL posts you see all too often on SOL. But this is a more of a mature and lighthearted approach to an issue that’s bothered me for as long as I can remember.

And before I get thrashed by male nomads I’d like to clear up a few things before I begin, firstly I’d like to say that in this post any references made about ‘men’ does not necessarily represent the entire male species as a whole but rather the majority of pigheaded Somali men we see all too often! And I’d also like to make clear that I’m not saying that women are in anyway innocent themselves.

For years I’ve been attacking any one who dared to say that women are weaker and therefore not equal to men. Obviously years later I’ve realised that YES, I have been brainwashed by the ‘west’ to some degree.

Woman’s equality with men is virtually impossible since the nature of men and women is different in terms of physical, mental and psychological abilities.

Quite frankly different things cannot be the same, it defies all laws of common sense!

Anyways, yet society chooses to take advantage of those who are weaker and less able for their own gains. Whether that is in a so-called ‘Islamic Society’ or in our case a cultural one, where our people decide that mixing culture with religion is correct.

I know that all too often Somali elders use religion as an excuse to get away with so many despicable acts, which may or may not have rooted from Islamic principals and since then has been distorted hideously to serve a barbaric sense of pride and selfishness.

Where else in the world would you find a culture so eager to condone acts such as FGM, the abuse of polygamy, sexism and tribal wars?

Okay now I’m getting swayed from the real reason why I decided to post this topic in the first place, which was solely to bash males...opps did i say that out loud?! redface.gif

In Islam women have many rights, which are all too willingly forgotten when it comes down to crunch. Islam is growingly being depicted by the western media as a religion, which oppresses women when in actual fact Islam was the first religion to enforce women’s rights. So why is it that they’ve come to this conclusion?

Well to be honest their idea of freedom is quite deluded in the first place, they’d rather we exploited ourselves, by prancing around half naked in the belief that they saw us as equals! But they ‘the west’ also sees the rising cases of people who wave the Islamic flag as an excuse for abusing human rights and even Islamic Laws!

For example the countless cases of honour killings by fathers, uncles and brothers who believe that they can take the law of Allah into their own hands, by killing when Islam condemns the killing of another Muslim!

The countless cases of Somali men who choose to accept the tad bits of Islam that pleases them and then decides to not acknowledge the rest. A brilliant example of this being of course polygamy, when all to often Somali men disregard the conditions of polygamy.

So to conclude and explain why this topic is titled ‘inferiority complex’ I’d say that this was the only way I could describe and maybe even explain why Somalis choose to act like they do.

I think that Somalis must be suffering from some sort of inferiority complex just because they feel as though they have to belittle another human being, race, tribe or gender just to feel better about themselves.

To be honest I could go on forever but I know how people on SOL dislike long posts!

What do you think? Have I finally lost the plot and are these the rantings of a mad woman?! :confused: :D

OG_Girl   

Sue , nicelly put down all your thoughts.We are same stage girl, welcome to confused club ;)

For Others :

it's more of a get off your chest bittttching session.. No more NO less.

Salam

err...

I like to put it this way:

Men and Women: Different? yes. Equal? yes. One weaker than the other? Only in strength, but even that fails with age!

Women have been fighting for equality even when the Prophet was alive. The biggest feminist/spokesperson for women were Aisha and Umm Salama. So all the men who like to dominate and control their women need to go and open up a book. And do not give me that "feminism is a western concept" crap. Thats another form of propoganda;)

I thank God that I was born FEMALE!

Senora   

^ Nice to see you again! ;) ^

Well....i have to say i never really thought abt this much until the Big Brother in UK topic...and it was Ameenah's statement that we were a nation full of hypocrites that had me thinking.....

I never paid much attention to these types of generalizations, cause i figured it to just be a circumstantial type of thing....know what I mean?...i just figured..yeah you can single a few people out for doing this...but you cant say that it's a part our culture.....i dont know now....hmmm

Viking   

Curly_Sue,

Jaahilnimo sounds like a better description.

And do not give me that "feminism is a western concept" crap. Thats another form of propoganda

Devil's Advocate,

It's actually said to be a lesbian concept.

OG Moti   

Again and Again, I repeat, I sense from these posts .. the western influence, but i will still make a comment thou i know it wont make a difference..

Women are the weaker species if we compare with the men, and i mean weaker physically and mentally, that has been proven scientifically and those who would argue viciously, let me remind you, your Biology 101, that woman’s brain is smaller than the man’s, the size indicates significant differences in analytic and critical thinking abilities.

On the other hand, there are many other things that women are better than men, such as organization, cooking, cleaning and other important skills.

I agree with the sister who posted this topic, that their should be no comparison between to different species, men and women are different species, yes they connect and help each other to multiply but still their differ in many ways… you could only compare two identical species such as comparing a human female with a human female, and a human male with a human male and so on..

The debate has been agreed upon and the conclusion is no comparison is possible, unless we compare in strength, and mental ability, let me give an example

You can compare a lion and a tiger in terms of strength and speed even if they are different species, thus if we use strength as a comparison criteria, I would say men are stronger (generally speaking), men are wiser (mental comparison), It is unethical and against religion to say women should be equal to men, and many misunderstood that and start criticizing the Islamic religion, there is a wisdom behind it, find out, and let me know… peace….

Juxa   

^^^^^^^^^ reminds me of the Equal pay Act. comparing like work. instead of men/women.

anyhow,,,,,,,,,ani dhiigkar igu kacaa hadan umadaan u jawaabo. bt sis, u aint mad,,,,,,,,u make perfect sense to me

NGONGE   

508, let the girls be, man. This is their right of passage. All young, single girls moan and whinge about the bad treatment of Somali women. In some parts, they’re right but they exaggerate things so much it ends up sounding as if they hate life, men and equality! Never fear though, saaxib. This is a temporary affliction.

At times it can also be interpreted as a cry for help! Here she is, young, beautiful, intelligent and extremely charming. How could the world not take notice of all that? How could society give most of their attention to some Faarax who seems to be a lesser person than her in everyway? It’s a travesty! Don’t people see the SUN when it shines? Don’t they see the MOON on a lovely clear night? How could they not notice her (the sun, moon and stars all rolled into one)? Yet, they have no problem noticing some silly howling Wolf? She demands equality, she wants to be treated and regarded in the same way as the undeserving Wolf. She will not rest until her demands are met.

One day, they all get married and leave all the rage of youth behind. Now, they have a responsibility and a place in society. Now, they can look down on single feminists and say to them “Oohinta badan jooji oo wax esko fal”. Now, they’re in a position of “authority” and can dispense advice to all and sundry. Now, they can sit back and look at all their young sisters fighting for “equality” and smile to themselves thinking “ I can’t believe I was once as angry as these girls!” Now, they get the chance to practise and implement all those customs they used to find abominable as young people. Now, they can put all their efforts and energy into maintaining the Somali way of life. Now, they can say there are no men better than OUR Somali men (and my husband is the best of the lot). Now, they can boast about their ability to cook an amazing feast, clean until everything shines and provide all the comforts and dedication required of a “good” Somali woman. Now, they can brag about having the best behaved children, best dressed husband, best decorated house and quickest and most comfortable way in accommodating visiting guests (no matter what time of day or night they arrive). Now, she’ll smile proudly about her ability to save, about her fruitful efforts to keep her house a good Muslim home. Now, most importantly now, she will vehemently display her total rejection of Western ideas of equality and feminism.

But, until that day comes, stop raining on their parade, saaxib.

PS

The equality of men and women only really matters in Allah’s (swt) judgment. I’m not aware that they get a discount in this case.

How's that for a rant, macaanto? icon_razz.gif

Blessed   

^^^^^ I was going to do my 'yada' line, till you wrote this:

The equality of men and women only really matters in Allah’s (swt) judgment. I’m not aware that they get a discount in this case.

U is spirited blud, Allah bless!

DA

I don't think your doing justice to those sahabiyaat by referring to them as feminists. The feminist ideology rejects many tenets of our Islamic teachings, so it isn't fair to attach devout Muslim women to it.

I think a woman can be strong, educated and active in her community with out ranting about the evils of men and society. If we indeed are equal - we'd have as much control of our situation as a man would. To say otherwise, you agreeing with notion of this being a man's world.

I think, much of the misinterpretation of Islam on the part of some 'wadaads' is due to lack of will from Muslim women. How many female scholars are there.. not many! How many 'Aisha's' do you know, who would seek and teach Islamic knowledge. How many sisters do you know who would give up their time to fight for the cause of Islam.... not many!

I think, we should focus less on what Faarax's say and more on what we want and how to get it and if it is in line with what OUR Creator requires of us as Muslim women. Everything else is secondary!

Mrembo,

Damn, I was feeling somewhat despondent on that day. We’re not that bad, but we aren’t as perfect as some would argue.

For years I’ve been attacking one who dared to say that women are weaker and therefore not equal to men. Obviously years later I’ve realised that YES, I have been brainwashed by the ‘west’ to some degree.

Woman’s equality with men is virtually impossible since the nature of men and women is different in terms of physical, mental and psychological abilities.

True that.

Hmmm what can i add

I think it is diffcult not to generalize on this term (even though you have explicitly said that this ur not your intention smile.gif ) since it is applicable to a culture and thus a people who practise it.

I am ignorant to alot of the positive aspect of our culture, but i do smile.gif agree with a significant proportion of your Mad rantings ;) .

I think as a people we do suffer from one easily identifable condition. IGNORANCE, and unfortunately it doesnt seem education is eradicating this particular type of ignorance.

I think as a people we can learn to be alot more humble, and reflective. Our social condition is not the best in most terms (housing, education, employment etc etc) and this lays an enviroment for general confussion, low self esteem and it seems that this is perfect conditions for those types of Men and women, they flurish even.

I think we are improving though, the younger generation anyway, well some of us anway lol.

raula   

^^I totally agree with you brother shujui. We are indeed submerged into profound IGNORANCE of religious convictions and humanely rights in general. Undeniably, we are not equal in many respects and it’s very apparent in religious manuscripts and with naked gaze at as well. However, the latter statement should not be utilized as vulnerability against females.

DA

how dare u say Aisha and Umm salama were feminist.

this is outrageous, i cant believe no1 else has picked up on this, people are u all gone mad. wha da hell is goin on. how dare u say such a comment. i dont care wha u meant by a feminist u can not use the term u know all the connatations it carries. these women were dignified beyond our scope.

may Allah swt forgive us. sometimes were are too quick on words.

posted by ngonge

508, let the girls be, man. This is their right of passage. All young, single girls moan and whinge about the bad treatment of Somali women. In some parts, they’re right but they exaggerate things so much it ends up sounding as if they hate life, men and equality! Never fear though, saaxib. This is a temporary affliction.

At times it can also be interpreted as a cry for help! Here she is, young, beautiful, intelligent and extremely charming. How could the world not take notice of all that? How could society give most of their attention to some Faarax who seems to be a lesser person than her in everyway? It’s a travesty! Don’t people see the SUN when it shines? Don’t they see the MOON on a lovely clear night? How could they not notice her (the sun, moon and stars all rolled into one)? Yet, they have no problem noticing some silly howling Wolf? She demands equality, she wants to be treated and regarded in the same way as the undeserving Wolf. She will not rest until her demands are met.

One day, they all get married and leave all the rage of youth behind. Now, they have a responsibility and a place in society. Now, they can look down on single feminists and say to them “Oohinta badan jooji oo wax esko fal”. Now, they’re in a position of “authority” and can dispense advice to all and sundry. Now, they can sit back and look at all their young sisters fighting for “equality” and smile to themselves thinking “ I can’t believe I was once as angry as these girls!” Now, they get the chance to practise and implement all those customs they used to find abominable as young people. Now, they can put all their efforts and energy into maintaining the Somali way of life. Now, they can say there are no men better than OUR Somali men (and my husband is the best of the lot). Now, they can boast about their ability to cook an amazing feast, clean until everything shines and provide all the comforts and dedication required of a “good” Somali woman. Now, they can brag about having the best behaved children, best dressed husband, best decorated house and quickest and most comfortable way in accommodating visiting guests (no matter what time of day or night they arrive). Now, she’ll smile proudly about her ability to save, about her fruitful efforts to keep her house a good Muslim home. Now, most importantly now, she will vehemently display her total rejection of Western ideas of equality and feminism.

But, until that day comes, stop raining on their parade, saaxib.

caleeek caleeek caleeek yaa akheee....hadaan gabar lahaan lahaa waan ku siinlahaa saaxib ducona waan kuugu darilahaa .. wiil iyo caano ...gabar iyo caano

asxantu

Interestin thoughts.

Nice to see your still around Raula ;)

obivously no 2 indvidual are the same, but from my expirence i think somali's as a people have the largest concentration of Individuals and it is evident in there exchanges and how we relate to each other.

On a more specific note though , i really believe the absence of a strong islamic enviroment in somali houses, and by islamic enviro i mean the family unit lead by a Responsible authrotative indvidual ideally the Father, observing and practsing islamic ettique and manners, is the begining of the multitude of troubles that latter afflict both male and female somali youth's.

It is evident that the provision of free education, the availability of vast oppotunities in higher education, employment and leisure hasnt been taken up by somalis, and hasnt lead to any vast improvement in our social condition. why?

I believe its because of the lack in this strong, well organised family unit.