Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Obama Insults Isreal?

Obama Shoe Photo Seen As "Insult" By Some Israelis

soles.jpg

White House photographer Pete Sousa on Monday snapped a photo of the president while he talked on the phone with Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu.

In the photo, Obama has his feet propped up on a desk inside the Oval Office, and a number of Israeli newscasters last night called the posture insulting, since in many Arab countries, it is considered an insult to show someone the sole of your shoe.

While the shoe-sole taboo is not a Jewish custom necessarily, the reaction to the photo is a telling indication of the way some Israeli commenters are adjusting to the new U.S. administration's approach to the Middle East.

It was widely reported in the both Israeli and U.S. press after Netanyahu's visit to Washington last month that meetings between the two leaders had been tense, and President Obama's speech in Egypt last week also raised some eyebrows in Israel.

An article in Haaretz - which, incidentally, is considered to be one of the more liberal-leaning Israeli dailies - interpreted the photo like this:

A photo released by the White House, which shows Obama talking on the phone with Netanyahu on Monday, speaks volumes: The president is seen with his legs up on the table, his face stern and his fist clenched, as though he were dictating to Netanyahu: "Listen up and write 'Palestinian state' a hundred times. That's right, Palestine, with a P." As an enthusiast of Muslim culture, Obama surely knows there is no greater insult in the Middle East than pointing the soles of one's shoes at another person. Indeed, photos of other presidential phone calls depict Obama leaning on his desk, with his feet on the floor.

http://www.huffingto npost.com/2009/06/10 /obama-phone-photo-s een-as_n_213693.html

My god are they serious? "The president is seen with his legs up on the table, his face stern and his fist clenched," tsk tsk tsk people will do anything to diverge from real issues any I**** can see his gesture is merely one of stating a point, they should spend all this ridiculous, meticulous attention on the poor civilians that are been killed as I type this! :mad:

N.O.R.F   

LoL

They can't think of anything else. He is talking to the man on the phone with his feet on his desk but somehow, due to their weird logic, he is insulting him because someone took a pic in the middle of it all.

Tuujiye   

Some people are fighting agains accupations and hungar ayagana kibirka intuu ka batay heerkaan ee gaareen looool waxaas aa kibir lagaa dhahaa!

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Haven't they told him about the Presidential Manners ??? ..... Even in your office it is forbidden to sit like that when you're just an employee.

Nematoda   

very true my freind in this modern age truth is an agony and a sin to those who seek it.

ignorance leads to temperory bliss, thats why our fathers will always regret not doing anything then.and our children will never forgive us for letting it happen now.

my heart bleeds for you palestine. may you rest in peace, because we may never make it in time just like our forefathers we will always regret it.

Haatu   

If they don't like his policy, why don't they come out into the open and say so. There is no need for all this waste of time.

I think Huffpost,is becoming another Msnbc. If a fly says obama's fly is open,they are the first to report it and make hay of it.

So, i came up with a buffer,when i know a story is "newsworthy", i check with Politico & Nytimes. If it aint on the headline,i do not waste my time on it. smile.gif

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

I think Huffpost,is becoming another Msnbc. If a fly says obama's fly is open,they are the first to report it and make hay of it.

If there is distinction to be given, it is that MSNBC is becoming like Huffpost. Huff is a non-mainstream ultraliberal source and has never apologized for it. :D